Nikon Z6 Support

Is there any estimated date regarding supporting the Nikon Z6?

James,

If you check the database for DxO PhotoLab Supported Cameras, you will find this entry for Nikon Z6:

BRAND MODEL SUPPORT SUPPORTED FROM RAW FORMAT SUPPORTED NOTE
Nikon Z6 02/2019 DxO PhotoLab 2.2.0 NEF -

Cheers,

Joseph

1 Like

Nikon Z6 support will be released at the end of February. for now everything is going well so I don’t expect any delay.

We will also add support of Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 S and Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 S.

1 Like

Hello. Is it planned for today?
Cheers,
Patrick

Hello @Europat,

Release has been postponed to next Wednesday (March, 6th). This time this date won’t slide :slight_smile:
Sorry for that little delay.

Regards,

1 Like

Thank you Marie!
Regards,

Hard to try a product if you can’t use it by viewing the images. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if you were to release the necessary files for the Nikon Z6, a day early. :slight_smile:

Is it already known when the new Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 lens will be added. I get prompted for several 24-70 lenses, but the new lens is not included yet.

Optic%20modules

Thanks,
Peter Klein

Hello Peter,

We plan the support of the new 24-70mm in June but as we don’t have the lens yet I can’t promise it for sure.

Regards,
Marie

Hi Peter,

If you get offered several lenses, you should choose one of them as closest possible match will give you much better results in PhotoLab (otherwise the Lens Sharpening tool is not available: I’ve found applying Lens Sharpening very important to getting really good detail, much better than standard sharpening). That said, a mismatched lens would be a bad idea. Back on DxOMark.com, you can compare the old lenses distortion field maps and find out which one is most similar to the new one. Make sure all tests are optical, without built-in lens correction of course. The new Nikon Z mount 24-70mm is apparently a very clean lens so you’re looking for the best of the list above.

The Sigma Art is probably a good match. If not, the most recent Nikkor VR is probably closest. I’m not a Nikon shooter (though I do have some Sigma Art lenses which tend to be very sharp edge to edge even wide open but with mushy bokeh and dull colours due to so many layers of glass).

DxO discourages using alternative profiles (it’s not as good as the real thing but is much better than nothing). If there is no really close lens (check field maps for vignetting and sharpness for a close match), here’s how to Correct Lenses without DxO Optics Modules and here’s how to sharpen without the Lens Sharpness panel. I learned something from these documents: the Edge Offset parameter is not about the edges on objects but on how much sharpening to apply to the border and edge areas of an image (which are usually not sharp).

It’s much easier to work with modules, so I’d still look for a close match. If I didn’t find one, I’d do it manually now. I desperately need a module for the old Canon EF 80-200mm f2.8 (a.k.a. the Magic Drainpipe). It’s still magic from f3.2 (f2.8 is a bit soft by modern standards) which is one of my primary lenses. I don’t expect DxO to test and create that module for me, but I’d really like to have a substitute based on either the EF 70-200mm f2.8 (v1, no IS) or EF 70-200mm f4 (v1, no IS which is even a bit closer to the 80-200mm f2.8 but would be missing data as there is no f2.8, f3.2 or f3.5).

1 Like

Thanks @uncoy,

Thanks for the elaborate answer. I gave the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70 f/2.8E ED VR a try. Looking at my first tries with the lens, it seems (as it was tested in a review) already has very little chromatic aberration. So that will do for now. Thanks also for the links provided. learned a lot more on the lens correction, sharpness and barrel corrections in Photolab…

Thanks @Marie as well for the prompt answer.

Regards,
Peter Klein

1 Like

Glad to help Peter. That DxO Lens Sharpness tool is incredibly powerful. Makes a huge difference on the Sony FE 70-200mm f4 (borrowing to test native focus with my A7 III). Almost unrecognisably better after PhotoLab lens sharpener. Other sharpening methods don’t do nearly as well (at least in my hands), including those in C1.

Now I just need a profile to pop up for my Canon EF 80-200mm f2.8!