Nikon FTZ -- does it need a special optics module?

I have observed that optics modules are very specific: body plus lens plus optional teleconverter must all be supported if certain PL Elite features are to be available. For those who are regularly using Nikon Z bodies plus FTZ plus F mount lenses (Nikon or non-Nikon), does the FTZ (and presumably the FTZII) also appear in the list – that is, a Z plus FTZ plus F mount lens have the FTZ appear or not? In my limited testing of a Z7 with a FTZ plus one of my existing F mount lenses, the FTZ did not appear in the optics module description (eg., Nikon Z7 + Sigma 150-600 … DG … S – no mention of the mandatory FTZ required to mount that F mount lens on a Z mount body). For those on this list who routinely are using Z mount plus F mount lenses plus PL Elite, does the FTZ ever appear in the relevant optics module?

FTZ: No optics in the device (it’s basically a spacer to get the same lens distance from the sensor as for a DSLR, plus electronic connections to the lens, etc.). Therefore no need for a different module. F mount lenses work great.

2 Likes

I fully agree – and hopefully so will DxO implementation persons. The reason I was asking is that the application clearly could detect than a F mount lens is on a Z mount body.

To clarify: PL optics modules show F lenses that work with Z cameras (i.e., camera body + lens module). It doesn’t mention that an FTZ is required to do this, presumably because Z owners know that the FTZ it the only way of mounting those lenses on a Z body. I don’t think third party adaptors (e.g., for Sony lenses) are supported at this point.

As I noted above, compatible F lenses work well with my Z6. I currently have an F AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and an AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.

1 Like

Define “great” :grin:

I found F-lenses to be a safe way too avoid the typical colour blobs in very contrasty front light situations. But admittedly, Z-lenses usually are sharper than their F-counterparts, as they are the newer design (like 14-24/2.8, the old flare collector). So, the newer ones are “greater” although some of them provoke said colour blobs due to poor rear element design: the sensor is reflecting light towards the rear element and some lenses give that light back.

I was surprised when I just checked the modules for Z bodies. I thought the Z 7II has a different sensor than the Z 7 but apparently for DxO that doesn’t matter that much. Or I was mistaken, because I simply don’t care anymore about Nikon Z. :unamused:

Good morning!

Let me ask @Marie to reply here.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

First the Nikon Z7 II has exactly the same image sensor as the original Nikon Z7.
Second, about FTZ, FTZ II or any other adaptor ring we don’t specify it in the name of modules because there is no glass inside so it doesn’t modify dostorsion, vignetting or lens sharpness measures. Of course when we do a new camera support we check that our correction are correct on lenses used with an adaptor ring.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. Later I remembered, Nikon was just doubling the amount of (slightly outdated) image processors and memory card slots, but the sensor remained the same. Except the usual marketing mambo jambo. Well, the colour blobs are not appearing as much on the Z 6 as they are on the Z 7 together with the then new 24-70/4, but if the appear, I can’t do much about it in post.