Nik Collection v6

the minimum is Big Sur and recommended is Monterey.

Catalina was before (older) than big Sur. imo it’s not going to work, not even supported.

Have to agree with this: the new interface is cumbersome and clunky with little definition where the controls start and stop, creating a clunky look. The old interface was much more pleasing to the eye and user friendly.

2 Likes

I upgraded from version 4 to version 6. I mostly use color effects and silver effects. The upgrade uses color effects 5, with the new UI, is compatible with my CE4 photoshop smart objects, and pulled in all my custom recipes and favorites. The upgrade renders my SE3 photoshop smart objects unusable. That’s not acceptable. I’ve uninstalled the upgrade and reverted to Nik Collection v4. It’s not an upgrade if it doesn’t provide an upgrade path for my hundreds of SE3 photos.

1 Like

Yes. I welcome the new features and refinement of some old ones, but User Interface designer needs to follow more proven fundamentals in UI design. I hope they can improve it in the future.

P.S.

I also would like to only download and install some of the plug ins not all of them. Viveza is probably my most used Nik plug in. If that was available and nothing else, I would only use that, instead of having to install and use the rest of it.

2 Likes

Yes, sell the one by one for 25.- …and make them co-existable with older versions
:+1:

nik is a suite of plugin, I wouldn’t want to see it going piece by piece. there’s already filmpack and viewpoint as standalone instead of being part of PL elite, which without those 2 it’s not a complete software imo.

Thanks, I verified it, it seems OK

…and consists of a number of apps, of which I use one or two mostly.

Dfine & the Sharpeners are a band I don’t need at all, PhotoLab does a better job in these fields and most of my source material is RAW anyway.

Speaking of suites: DxO used to sell licenses for something called the “Premium Bundle” consisting of PL, FP and VP…

Still not quite sure what Nik gives me over PL Elite. They seem to be adding PL features to Nik which doesn’t seem worth the money for me anyway.

no offence but obviously you never used this collection or you wouldn’t had posted this. This NIK Collection was launch before PL was born, it was a Ps plugin or stand alone app people could use to enhance their pictures (also expensive for the full collection). DxO increased their consumer with this set of plugin when they bought Nik from Google, not everyone use PL to process their pictures but other software like Lr/Ps, Capture 1, Affinity Photo to name a few, can also say the same with PureRAW which will bring you to the same answer.
I have PL elite and sorry it doesn’t cover all my needs, I’ve been using Nik for years and it still faster/easier for me to fine tune within Nik than fiddling around in PL. Some people do it all in one software while others need more, some people are 1 click picture done while others shoot burst in case they missed the best shot. At the end of the day, it’s what you need for what you want to achieve =]

1 Like

I can certainly see that Nik has value for non-PL users, and as you say PureRAW is in that category too. I’m genuinely interested, so as a PL user what is it that you can do in Nik that you can’t do in PL. Are there missing features in PL or do you just find it easier in Nik as you’re very familiar with it?
I do have Nik 5, but am not a fan of scrolling through presets trying to find something I like - presumably I have missed some things.

one thing with Nik is that every adjustment can have control points.
like @platypus said, they could be sell individually like VP and FP, after all… back in the days you could.
I don’t use all Nik plugin, mostly Color Efex and Silver Efex because yes I’m used to them and it’s easier for me than within PL.
You can achieve everything now in PL that you can do with Viveza (imo), Analog Efex is for those who want to simulate old toy camera (fun to play with sometime), no need for RAW Sharpener or Dfine if you have PL Elite, Output Sharpener is useful if you do some more processing with other software, HDR Efex if you combine multiple exposure which PL lack, maybe one day they’ll add this function (I think it’s been requested a few times) but HDR can be done with many other software.
so do you really need it? yes and no, it depends on how you process your images I guess. like Lr/Ps users add topaz labs denoise AI and sharpen AI or other software for their work.

1 Like

It appears that there will be a requirement for us to acquire a new iteration of Nik (sans any features of significance) on an annual basis, accompanied by an increment in the pricing.

1 Like

Agreed. The changes are mostly cosmetic.

Indeed, this updated version NUMBER encompasses various UI improvements without improving the existing features.

It appears to be prudent to consider waiting until DxO completes all the essential tasks on the Nik Collection before spending my money.

1 Like

…plus Apple Silicon compatibility of all bundled apps.

2 Likes

technically nik 6 should be complete, once the last 2 “free upgrade” are done this summer.

Still cosmetic.