Nik Collection 3.3 Not working with Photoshop CC 2021

I have installed the latest version of Photoshop CC 2021 and the new Nik Collection 3, running on IMAC IOS Catalina (10.15.5 ) on a late model Macbook Pro, and the Nik Collection does not work. I have never had this issue with the Nik 2 Collection. The problem is this: all of the Nik filters are available in the Photoshop drop-down filters window, but when I open Color Efex or Silver Effects and then apply the changes, nothing is changed on my on my original photo. I am a long time user of Photoshop and Nik plugin filters and nothing like this has ever happened before. I would very appreciate anyones suggestions, thoughts of insight. Thank you

2 Likes

I have the same problem with Windows.
You have to close Photoshop 2021 and open it again to see the effect of NIK Collection.

I sincerely hope you mean macOS, since iOS is only for iPads and iPhones :blush: :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, I will look into it and it’s good to know that someone else has had a similar problem!

1 Like

Joanna: is this really useful information?

Windows 10 Family here, all updates under the sky installed.
I started Ps, Opened a RAW file (RW2) into Camera Raw, changed nothing, opened in Ps itself, made a smart object of the image, opened Color Efex using Nik selective tool, chose the first B&W preset, saved to Ps and … everything works fine. So there’s hope, at least for Windows 10 users.

Thank you for your reply! I’m running MacOS Catalina and I tried to replicate your suggestion and everything worked, EXCEPT when I convert my background layer to a smart object, I sacrifice being able to do a brush application. For me, giving up the the localized brush application is unacceptable. This is the message that comes up in Silver effects before I apply the filter:

"Silver Effects Pro2 has identified that the active layer is a Smart Object and will now operate as a Smart Filter. “The Brush button will be will be DEACTIVATED, and the effect will be applied to the current layer”

Problem solved! After 3 months of DXO support, I have discovered the problem on my own and I would like to save anyone else the same problem. Here are my findings about why Nik 3.3 would not run in Photoshop 2021:

1. Accessing Nik 3.3 Collection, as opposed to earlier versions, through Photoshop “Filter/Nik Collection/ColorEffects” is no longer functional. I was using this older method in my work flow.

2. The new Selective tool (in Nik 3.0) must first be activated “File/Automate/Nik Selective Tool 2” must first be activated in Photoshop by “File/Automate/Nik Selective Tool 2”

1. The filter effects can ONLY be applied using the new floating “Nik Collection Selective Tool 2” box not through the old alternative method.

Observing the above: the problem was completely solved!

1 Like

Dale, thank you for that advice. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. The tech support from DxO was non-existent. I was referred to your post here and it did the trick in minutes. Well done.

John Kelsey

THANK YOU!!! This solved my problem too!! I know this is for DXO products only, but I’m also experiencing the same problem on other plugin filters too, like luminar 4. Does anyone else experience this too? Much appreciated.