Nik 5 - what is new?

I’ve been a long-time supporter of the company (since 2009), but in the last four years I’ve shelled out over $700 for their software (the majority in upgrades, PureRaw being the only new offering) . . . compared to $480 for Adobe’s photographer plan, $410 for Topaz’s offerings, less than $200 for Luminar versions (4, AI, and Neo).

In fact, if I tally my costs since 2009, DxO runs almost twice as much as the next contender (Topaz, but I own a lot of their stuff, most of which I still use).

Some argue about how much more DxO offers in terms of functionality and usability . . . good for them, but I don’t see it as game-changing, nor as being worth twice as much as anyone else.

Again, I speak for myself. Others will do what they will; I’m not here to change their mind.

I’m voicing my displeasure with their upgrades (both features and cost) in the hope they will rethink their business model.

I could excuse it years ago when they were struggling financially, but if they’re still in trouble, then I say it’s no longer something users can help them with; it’s an internal problem that isn’t likely to be fixed by pumping more money into the company. Certainly not this user’s money.

I’ll use the versions I own and be happy with spending my money on something else. And, frankly, if all of DxO’s products disappeared from my computer, I think I would be just fine . . . other than being out of a lot of money.

3 Likes

I don’t and never used PS or LR. I tried a few times but is like walking in the dark, the files are in mysterious places :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Neither in PS nor in Lightroom any file wanders. They stay where you first import them.

That comment makes no sense. You, the user, must designate where the image is saved. Nothing mysterious about that.

After the “fake” PL6 upgrade, the “fake” Nik 5 upgrade…
I agree with all you said, and personally, this year I will not make any upgrade with my last PL, NiK, VP, FP… and worst I will subscribe the LR + Photoshop Plan for the first time since the Adobe subscription model. I stopped with the end of the Classic LR.
I need a stable visibility of the tools that I’m going to use for the next years and for the time being I’m going to stop believing the false promises of a perpetual license disguised as a subscription.

2 Likes

Topaz and other software applications are not that far off from DXO when it comes to noise reduction. That is the only thing that Photolab is better at at this time. The other editing tools have not evolved much and are easily surpassed by Adobe, Affinity, Capture One, and On 1. You’re making the right decision.