Nik 4 Disk is full error message

When attempting to open Silver Efex Pro 3 or VIveza 3 via Lightroom or Photoshop in Windows 10, error message of “Could not complete the Silver Efex Pro (or Viveza) command because the disk is full”. The disk is definitely not full as all functioned properly prior to upgrade to Nik 4. A workaround is to save raw file as tiff and then open standalone Silver Efex via the .exe and all works well. Clearing the cache was not a solution.

Well it’s not a platform specific thing because I’m getting the same on MacOS. I cannot believe NIK 4 was shipped with this bug.

If anyone finds a workaround, please report back.

Apparently, it’s a known problem - and DxO are working on a solution. See here.

John M

Taking a clue from another post I found that processing16bit images is part of the problem. Converting to 8bit is not preferred but is a workaround. BUT… after I finally got Viveza to open and processed an image I clicked "Apply? (while using it as a plugin filter in PS) and the photo came back into PS with absolutely nothing changed!! All the adjustments were gone.

I try to give software developers the benefit of the doubt because it’s hard, But this release was sent out the door only half-baked!

No, from what I have seen so far, it was not half baked but completely raw. I’ve already had more problems with this one application in 24 hours than I have in most applications in a year.

Running this app with the graphic processor turned off or in 8-bit color or only as a TIF file or whatever other crippled suggestions are being made is like going back in technology about a decade. I thought I was the only one having these problems with Nik 4 until I came into this forum. DxO needs to stop telling its customers to cripple their equipment to run the DxO software and actually correct this buggy software.

I just had it happen to me… for silver effects… worked two days ago… how do i get rid of the newer version and just download the older version…

Just a thought. Is the cache to small?
A 4000x6000 pixel image written to disk takes minimal 4000x6000x3x2=144000000byte or 137MB.

George

If by the older version you mean the Nik Collection 3, I don’t believe its available for download since the Nik Collection 4 was released. Don’t you have the downloaded installation file from when you originally purchased the previous version?

Mark

Mark, just got an email from help desk. You have to uninstall the nik program on your computer. Empty out the cache, / trash in the browser you are using… Then go onto site and locate your purchase. there is an updated version. Now works fine … good luck… but that should take are of it… so frustrating… when these programs are released and they blow up in our faces…

1 Like