New Windows PC Build for PhotoLab4

Hi, I am a newbie to posting but doing photography since the 60’s, so from B&W film and colour slides to digital.My current PC is a very old (14 years) Dell Precision 390 quad core workstation with quadro gpu,8GB of RAM and 2TB Samsung SSD running Windows 10 Pro.Very reliable and never given me any trouble but obviously very slow compared with modern tech.Used for CAD,Lightroom,PL2,3 and 4 and general purpose.
I wish to build a new PC mainly for PL4 but for the time being relying on cpu with built in graphics.
After some research my choice is Intel i7-11700 with Z590 motherboard,32GB of 3200Mhz RAM and Samsung 980 Pro OR Ryzen 7 5700G with X570S motherboard and same RAM and storage.I would reuse my 2TB Samsung SSD.I am not a gamer so overclocking not important to me.I tend to edit single images at a time and use DeepPrime
I would welcome suggestions or opinions about a new PC build

Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the forum.

Something similar to your post was posted a while ago here:

(maybe you can find something interesting in there…)

Steven.

1 Like

PS/ I would strongly recommend to opt for a dedicated GPU and not for a built in one.
If you use DeepPRIME, having even a middle of the range graphics card will considerably accelerate your processing time…

1 Like

Thank you Steven, I will certainly look through the similar posts.
At the moment I have a budget restriction. Since a good GPU is so expensive, I thought of a new build that I can upgrade with GPU later. My impression is AMD Ryzen 7 5700G graphics is better than Intel UHD 750 but the i7-11700 is better at single core performance.

I you plan on using DeepPRIME NR a lot you may regret not having a GPU capable of decreasing its extensive processing time.

Mark

1 Like

Dennis, my HP PC is also 14 years old! And I’m in the process of building a machine mostly for PL4 too, working with a local PC support company to help put together a custom machine.

The problem is getting a video card. Due to the cryptocurrency mining industry and supply chain problems due to covid, the availability of these are in very short supply. You must get on a waiting list. I’d recommend B&H Photo, as they’re absent of scammers and a great company to work with. I did some research on the web and the local PC company I’m working with helped too. Here are the specs, I hope it helps.

Mid-Tower Case: MasterBox MB530p
2 X USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 in front. Comes with 3 front fans and one rear fan
Additional cooling: Corsair SP120 RGB PRO 120mm Fan x2 - Top of Case

Motherboard: ASUS X570-E ROG Strix Gaming AMD AM4 ATX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core AM4 Processor
Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler

Power supply: Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt Power Supply

Video Card: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 OC Graphics Card
Here’s a review

Hard Drive: Samsung 2TB 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 Internal SSD

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB DDR4
Sound card: None. Onboard sound is fine.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Brian, thanks so much for your helpful reply complete with links!. I am looking at a similar build but right now I have a budget limitation.In South Africa components are also expensive,especially a good GPU.Therefore I thought of going with the Ryzen 7 5700G using the built in graphics and either Asus X570-E or MSI Mag X570S Tomahawk.The X570S does away with the small onboard fan of the previous series.I could upgrade to GPU and maybe even a better CPU later.
I realise a new generation of AMD and Intel chips will be with us soon but Ryzen with AMD 4 socket should be around. Agree with your great choice of other components.Maybe I would go with a Corsair 220 or 4000D case, just personal choice.
Thanks again

Hi,
While I mostly agree with the specs Brian gave (I’m currently configuring my new PC built mostly with the same ones), I would like to add two points.

Going with a gaming rig means overclocking, higher temperatures and leads to faster aging of your hardware. Also you might like to think about a silent case. While the shiny fans might be looking good (as they did for me a some years ago) I found that I prefer my PC to be as quiet as possible.

For this I went with a silent tower (Fractal Design Define 7, solid grey) and even exchanged the builtin fans with silent ones (bequiet Silentwings 3)

YES, I can recommend …
PL4 computer specs compared to PL3? - #38 by Wolfgang (still like that machine)

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, I am not a gamer, don’t need overclocking RGB etc. just want good performance and quiet rig for PL4 but within a limited budget. Agree with your comments and will relook at all components.
Thank you

Thanks for your comment Wolfgang, will look at possible components again.

I’d really really strongly recommend a separate GPU. Built in graphics always load the CPU and RAM heavily. The mere fact you are using it tells the MB designer that graphics performance is your lowest priority, so they will have designed to suit.

You don’t need a top of the range dedicated graphics card, as almost anything is better than dragging down your CPU with video processing. It need not be expensive. There are often bargains to be had by looking at something mid spec that got good reviews a year or two ago rather than today’s latest and greatest. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes vs the built in graphics.

1 Like

Thanks Charles, appreciate the advice. My intention was to go for a discrete GPU later.
Most of the CPU’s without graphics don’t come bundled with a cooler,so it just adds up.I like the MSI X570s Tomahawk motherboard with a Ryzen 7 5700G , Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 and Corsair vengeance 2x 32 MB 3200 memory. Commentators have said the 5700G graphics is roughly equivalent to a GTX 1030 or 1050 but I know it is a lot better than Intel UHD 750 built in graphics.But I will definitely check out the medium range GPU’s and also 5700G supports PCIe 3.0 not 4.0