New to DxO PL5. Crashes on export

well, try the studio driver … :slight_smile:

Yes, it sounds like a problem/clash with your GPU: which brand-model do you have ?

John M

Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11G

Sounds like an NVidia variant - I don’t know it, but someone else may.

As Wolfgang suggests; have you tried updating its driver ?

John M

I have the latest “game” driver. Can’t decide to install the “studio” driver as I have games on the computer.

Well, there is no harm to try the studio driver version. Suppose you have the recent game driver stored anyway (otherwise you get it again from NVidia).
Try if it helps with the DxO software and if not, reinstall the game driver. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like there is a problem with display drivers. With the support, we narrowed the problem (as I tried to describe through this post thread). Here is their latest mail message:

Thank you for providing us with the additional information about what happened. It does appear that there may be a conflict happening with the video driver that is causing the problem. With the changes Microsoft has been making to their operating systems, video card manufacturers have been making changes to their drivers in order to try and keep up with Microsoft. This has caused some compatibility issues that we are currently investigating. Unfortunately, Microsoft and the video card manufacturers do not share information about what changes they are making with third-party vendors. We will continue our efforts to isolate the cause of the problem and work as quickly as possible to resolve it for release in a future version of the program.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this.

So, let’s hope, that they’ll soon find the solution. :pray:

2 Likes

Later in the year, I know, but I just upgraded to Build 4737 of PL V5.2.1 and when I do an export with Deep Prime switched on it crashes Windows and sets the PC fans screaming. I even had to turn off TPM in the BIOS to get it reboot at all. Tried turning off graphics card utilisation in the Perfomance menu and it now works but slowly. Deep Prime export plus graphics card support always crashes my Windows Pro 10.

1 Like

What graphics card are you using?

1 Like

Hi Mark

My card is a Nvidia GTX 1070 from Gigabyte. I only recently upgraded it in order to support photo editing software.

Charlie

Hi, Charlie. If Windows is crashing, the underlying cause might be hardware or a driver rather than PL5 itself. In particular, I’d like to know what is your power supply and how old is it? What happens if you run a stress test program such as FurMark? (If that test passes, run Prime95 also, at the same time, and see what happens.)

If you run something like HWMonitor, you can see the temperatures and voltages of different parts of your system and make sure they are at the right levels. They should stay at good levels even under stress.

1 Like

As Greg suggests, check the driver and power supply and the corresponding data. The 1070 should work fine with PL 5.2.1.

Thank you Greg and Mark
Running the Furmark stress test gives exactly the same symptoms as when DXO DP export runs: the fans go mad and the PC crashes. The Nvidia driver is up to date, 512.59, and the PSU is 750W. I bought the Nvidia card secondhand; do you think that it is faulty? I didn’t have any 8 pin power leads so I bought a 4 pin molex to 8 pin pci-e PCI Express 8 Pin cable to supply the power. At the moment the motherboard and CPU are running at 36-37 C.
Thanks, Charlie

Running HWMonitor indicates that fans are not running on the GPU. The GPU temperature is 47C with hot spot 57C. A dud board?

Just opened the PC case and GPU fans are staionary.

I checked technical data of GTX 1070 and it needs a 8pin connector
(my GTX 1060 has a 6pin connector, btw)
– so that seems to give you the problem of unsufficient power for the GPU

Hi Wolfgang
Yes, but the 2 Molex to single PCIE 8 pin adapter gives me an 8 pin so it does power up OK. I’ve just got the fans running with the MSI Afterburner utility. I am not overclocking at all.
Charlie

It might be that the fans on the 1070 don’t run unless they really need to, to keep the system quiet and power-efficient. I’ve noticed the same with my last two video cards and power supply.

750W should be enough for a 1070, but other aspects of the power supply have to be considered such as maximum load (current) on each power rail and how much voltage you lose under a heavy load. The way you have your video card hooked up might simply not give the card enough current (or a stable enough supply of power) when stressed. It suggests to me that the power supply isn’t designed to run it. Still, you might use a voltmeter in addition to what HWMonitor shows to make sure the rails you’re using aren’t overutilized. You might also try connecting the molex adapter to another rail or see if the power supply can be switched from a multiple rail configuration (each limited to a certain number of amperes) to a single rail configuration (that might support more current for all connected devices). Try at your own risk. :wink:

Thank you Greg
I’ve contacted my PC suppliers and they confirm that my cheap PSU isn’t up to the job. I’ve ordered a more appropriate one and will fit that. The new one comes with multiple PCIE 6+2 connectors so fingers crossed!
It does look lkike it was all my stupid fault; I shall own up if that proves to be correct.
Charlie

1 Like

Thank you both Greg and Mark for your help. I contacted Palicomp (PC builders) who confirmed I’d need a better PSU. I ordered a 650W Seasonic which comes with dedicated PCIE socket. It arrived this afternoon (thanks Palicomp for good service), I have fitted it and it runs Furmark correctly (that’s a great little program) and also copes well with a DXO Deep Prime export! I am delighted :slight_smile:
Charlie

3 Likes