New in DxO PhotoLab 6.3 ... Lens Sharpness default is now 1

This is an “interesting” change - with implications for those of us with custom Presets (as applied to images newly discovered by PL).

The “DxO Standard” preset now sets the Lens Sharpness’ Global slider to 1 - - whereas, prior to PLv63, it was set to 0. Also, when this slider is double-clicked it now defaults to 1 (instead of zero).

The reason I reckon this is a significant change, warranting getter understanding by me/us, is that this seems to be an absolute difference (rather than just a change in relative scale) - So, it’s actually impacting the degree of Lens Sharpening that’s being applied, by default … Mmmmmmm !!!

Note: If you want to patch your custom preset to match the new setting in DxO Default / DxO Standard then the relevant value is for Blur Intensity. But, before doing this myself, I wanna understand this better !

John M

Why would you want to update your own settings?
If you were satisfied with your previous value before, why would you have to increase now?

This change concerns only the default value, the effect of any value is supposed to be unchanged.
So people with custom preset won’t be impacted at all (except for the default slider reset).

Personnally I never used 0 so I won’t use 1 either now :slight_smile:
I prefer -1 but that’s just my personal taste.

1 Like

Except when there’ s a solid reason for this…and that…nobody knows, yet.
Experimenting seems to be the best.

1 Like

I’ve always used +1 for aviation shots, to get those crisp panel lines and rivets. But +1 is terrible for fine foliage, for example. There I use something between 0 and +0.25 depending on other content in the frame.

1 Like

I probably won’t … but, if DxO has made the change then, presumably, there’s a good reason for doing so (perhaps?).

As I noted, tho, I won’t be making any changes until I understand more about it.

My purpose in pointing this out was so that we’d all be aware of it - in case it became a “gotcha!”.

John M

I think they just wanted a bigger “wow” effect for newcomers, or to have the same default level than in PureRaw

From my point of view, this doesn’t make much sense.
The 0 setting is already pretty strong (0 doesn’t mean no effect) so it was 0 because it was the default.
I totally understand that they wanted to have a stronger default setting, but in this case they should have also corrected the scale to make 0 = no effect.
It would be less misleading.

All of this is not very important, if as mujabad said, you made your experimentations and then you know the effects of the setting, and know what you like best depending on situations.

1 Like

My default has always been

for as long as I can remember, I think, i.e. I thought that this was the automatic default? (the question mark is about my memory).

EDIT:- Obviously the default is 0 and I decided somewhere along the line a long, long time ago that I preferred LS(-0.5) and it is in most if not all my own presets and I need to review it for obvious reasons, i.e. because my editing has changed and this is one item I should review.

So I ran some tests with Foliage (twigs) with landscape (twigs at a distance + grass) using “my” default of LS(-0.5) and the new default LS(1) and no lens sharpening at all LS() with no noise reduction NR() and with Deep Prime XD NR(XD) noise reduction and have included reduced size copies of the 100% JPG exports, reduced using Lanczos 3 (Lanczos 2 adds some sharpening).

Plus some screen snapshots comparing some of the combinations

Reduced size images:-

I have yet to decide what I prefer, I typically use LS with RAWs but not with JPGs, the issue is less with the originals but I also keep a more compact library of reduced size images (the same size as those I have included in this post) which is more portable and faster to load.

These are located on the NAS drive and can be accessed over the WiFi on tablets and phones and I used to use Lanczos 2 for the size reduction, the sharpness it adds coupled with LS was too much!

Whatever one does sharpness wise, always check sharpness at the output size = without scaling !