New in DxO PhotoLab 6.1

Thanks very much, Wolfgang!

Double bother: I’m finding that the Intensity slider for Protect saturated colors in the Soft Proofing module is having no effect at all on the gamut warnings. The slider does affect the rendering in the image preview, however!

1 Like

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed. At least it should have affected the Destination gamut warning.
To make sure, that it is not colour space dependent, I checked with screen switched to sRGB, closed PL6 and tried in AdobRGB – the same …

1 Like

I’ve never seen any performance difference between Soft Proofing ON versus OFF - - so, I wouldn’t expect to see any just for a lesser “strength” setting for the PSC algorithm (?)

You and me both, Greg !

John

• I’ll spend some more time this afternoon, trying to work this out … and will report back later.

Well, I can confirm that what I see on the screen is exported when the export ICC is “same as soft proofing.” It’s just that the out of gamut warning indicators are proven to be useless in this regard, not reflecting the effect of PSC. I suspect this was always the case. So I still have to decide whether or not to ignore the OOG warnings and just accept what I see - or, make Color Rendering and/or HSL adjustments to change it and see if I like that better. :unamused:

And this is just for display ICCs. Not for printing - I remember DxO saying that PSC won’t be applicable to soft proofing for printing. Wonder what that will look like when implemented? Could it be that this is why the OOG warnings don’t take PSC into account??

@DxO_Support-Team Can you help us understand all of this better? Thanks.

1 Like

Wow ! That sure is obscure !! - - Well done for sussing that out, Greg.

(So, what’s the point of the ON/OFF control for the PSC algorithm on the Export UI ? … I’ve always thought the setting for “same as soft proofing” was wierd anyway - 'cos it applies even if Soft Proofing is not activated … Another obscure behaviour).

John (Sigh !!!)

That’s quite possible – while I had shown here ( just click on the screenshots )

• The PL6 Classic-Legacy mode reduces some of the out-of-gamut colours
    and the export output from Wide Gamut is richer than from Classic-Legacy !

But then, the CL engine is at the “input side” and here we are talking about the to be expected output.
Let’s see, what DxO can tell us about.

You would in the unlikely event you are exporting to a larger color space, if PSC can also work to decompress.

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …According to this note;
image - image

… the setting does not have much impact on large color spaces - That is, it’s apparently smart enough to apply “protection” only to the degree that it needs to.

John M

Color Management changes … More detail;

I’m really struggling to understand the point/purpose of the new Protect Saturated Colors Intensity slider on the Soft Proofing tool. I have read the on-screen help-text; which explains what it does - but not WHY ?!

So, all I can do is try out various settings, to see how it impacts the Exported image.

Note: I’m using an image with very saturated reds for these tests - whereby the on-screen impact of changes to the slider is very clear and obvious.

Firstly, I (wrongly!) assumed that setting the Intensity slider to Zero and then toggling activation of the Soft Proofing tool would result in no difference on-screen (as is the case for, say, the Color Rendering tool) … Instead, I could discern on-screen changes to the saturation/detail trade-offs (albeit, slight).

• I was planning to report on all the combinations of having various settings assigned to the (new) Protect Saturated Colors Intensity slider - along with different settings for the (new) PSC check-box on the Export-to-disk UI … but I just ended up thoroughly confused !! !!

• I can confirm that which Greg confirmed - that is; using the option when Exporting-to-disk for ICC Profile = “Same as Soft Proofing” does result in different degrees of the Protect Saturated Colors algorithm being applied (rather than the standard default equivalent to the slider value = 50).

• Wow !! … Who, other than we nerds (and we’re struggling !!) is ever gunna understand any of this ??

Yes, but only if the setting for ICC Profile in the Export-to-disk UI is “Same as Soft Proofing” (otherwise, it applies the default setting for “strength” =50)… and I very much doubt that I would have worked that out for myself, had you not suggested it !

• I can’t think of any other setting that still has an impact when it’s switched OFF … That’s completely counter-intuitive.

In which case is it a bug, Wolfgang ? … I’m not following you on this point.

That’s the least of my concerns, for now … I’d just like to have an overview of design intent.

John M

Is it just me or is there something wrong in the build 6.1.0 Build 74:

The exposure, blacks and shadow behave unexpected and show wierd, pixelated results in high contrast (underexposed) images.
I went back to 6.0.1 Build 33 and the problem vanishes.

BTW - is it true that there is still no radial/eliptical filter?

Could you please give an example, so that we can see / understand the circumstances (camera, ISO, exposure …) better?

This is how it looks without adjustments (Nikon Z6 NEF, ISO 100)

This is what PL 6.0 does with shadow enhancements

And this is what I would like to have

Sorry, I cannot show what 6.1 did since I already have deinstalled it.

Did you create DNG files by any chance? There is a bug in the way DNG files with edits are displayed which DxO is aware of. If these are not DNG files then perhaps others here can assist you. I am not having any issues with my NEF files.

Mark

1 Like

I have just got an answer on a case I reported (PL hanging when opening certain folders) and they urge me to update to version 6.1. I feel reluctant doing so since there seem to be quite a few bugs reported with 6.1 already.

What is your opinion about the 6.1 release??

Hi John,
as already pointed out, there is a bug when exporting directly with the above profile,
which does not occur with “Same as Soft Proofing”.

So, the best will be to wait for DxO to correct before any further investigation on this topic.

And yes, I would like to see
grafik
the above PSC slider affecting the Destination gamut warning.

Wolfgang

Sorry, Wolfgang - but I’m still not understanding you (which seems like an ongoing “theme”, for us :slightly_smiling_face: )

Are you suggesting that it’s a bug whereby the Protect Saturated Colors Algorithm IS applied (with default strength of 50) when the Export PSC setting is selected - even if Soft Proofing is OFF ?

• If that’s it - then I disagree … I reckon that’s correct and an intentional feature.

• But, if that’s not it … then please elaborate for my slow uptake !

Your post highlighted this for me;

'Tis curious that “Red” is noted as “for paper” ?!

Red is used to highlight OoG colors in the destination gamut … but, that’s not limited to printing/paper only (or is it?).

Note: Also see my Request/Suggestion here.

John

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these …

They remain a mystery for me.

@mwsilvers / Mark: I reckon you’ll have best insight into the first two … Your thoughts ?

John M

I’m not sure if I can give you the best insight, John.

I assume shapes outlines for the Retouch tool means the target and source masks. If so, for me there is no noticeable improvement in PL6.1. It is still difficult to see the masks on many multi-colored / multi-textured backgrounds. If they could only make the masks outlines a bit thicker or use walking ants. If there is an improvement it is a fairly subtle one.

I am also not sure what number 3 means regarding tool shapes being kept. Perhaps it would be more obvious if I could do a direct comparison with PL 6.1 and the previous version of PL 6.

Mark

Thanks for having a go, Mark (I see you’re up late again !)

If you don’t understand (for these topics), I doubt any of us will/does (!)

That was my assumption too, Mark … Like you, tho, I cannot see any difference (c/w PLv5)

Not having PLv6 to compare with (either), I’m comparing with PLv5 … I can’t see any difference in behaviour (regarding “shapes”)

Both these were listed as “New Features” in the Release Notes, but.

John M

What is your opinion about the 6.1 release??

Please make sure to deinstall 6.0 before the upgrade. Maybe my problem was caused because I didn’t do so. If 6.1 introduces problems you can deinstall it and reinstall 6.0, this is what I did.
For now I personally will wait 2 weeks before I try 6.1 agaian since I am also pretty happy with 6.0.