New functions for the Phototheque module

some possible improvements to the Photo Library module :
Delete an image from the catalog without erasing it from the hard disk
Modify the acces path for a batch of files (when they have been moved with the Finder, for example)
Find virtual copies
Remove the contents of an external drive from the database after working on it

Thank you for your attention, cordially

Serge

There is no catalog, it is just the hierarchy of folders and files on your disk(s)

I have trouble making myself understood, my English is not good. I mean from the database

As @Joanna mentioned there is no catalog like Lightroom. All that is in the database for any image file are the edits to that file and added keywords. You can not delete an image so it is no longer visible in PhotoLab without deleting the actual file from your hard drive.

You can accomplish what you want to do in Lightroom because you must import file locations into its database catalog before being able to edit images. As a result you can delete catalog entries which will result in images no longer being available for editing in Lightroom. Photolab does not include an import feature and does not have the functionality you are looking for. I hope that is clearer for you.

Mark

@leraymur, if I understand you correctly, you propose a functionality that allows selective removal of data from the database. I also feel that this proposal is just one possibility of what you actually want to achieve.
In other words, what good is it to develop a cure if we don’t know what sickness it should treat?

1 Like

Excuse me but my English in not good and I don’t understand everything…
What I would like to know and do, is how to prevent Photolab from displaying thumbnails with a question mark corresponding to images no longer on hard disks (deleted or moved in Finder), or whose hard disks have been disconnected from the computer.
For example, sometimes, in group work sessions around Photolab, I connect other people’s USB keys to my computer to process their photos. When I remove these USBkeys, Photolab always offers me these images (thumbnails with question marks) during subsequent research. It is impossible to delete these thumbnails, the software replies that it is impossible to delete it because the file does not exist (which is true since the volume on which it was is no longer connected)
In the previous version it was possible to delete these missing image thumbnails. Currently the only solution is to “modify the access path” individually … and when there are a few dozen photos it is particularly painful.
Similarly in case of change of external disk, the software keeps track of the old one and it would be interesting to be able to delete this trace rather than to delete one by one all the thumbnails marked “?” (which by the way does not work as I have already explained to you).
Je suis désolé si je ne suis pas clair, mais je passe par la traduction de Google et ne suis pas certain que cela exprime bien ce que je veux dire…

Thanks for the details, now I see what you mean.

I’d try the following (one at a time to see if it changes anything)

• point DPL to a folder that does not contain any images or folders before you quit DPL.
  • delete the cache files (quit DPL before you do this)

As long as you work on the same folder and have not changed anything using the finder, you can work as usual. Before modifying anything in the folder structure, I’d quit DPL.

Thanks for your answer, but it doesn’t work …
Too bad, I will delete the thumbnails with “?” When I meet them (I think there are a few thousand …)
It is annoying, but not serious.
Thank you

Import the USB contents to a new folder. When done with the folder, delete it.

1 Like

Bonjour et merci pour ces réponses.

Je n’ai réussi à résoudre mon problème qu’en supprimant la base de données DXO et en relançant une indexation de mes disques durs… Heureusement mes mots clés avaient été exportés avant sur la sauvegarde dans les metadonnées des fichiers ! D’ou l’intérêt qu’il y aurait a que ce soit fait directement par le logiciel…

Merci