Need advice on where to put the money on a new pc for DXO

Hi KeithRJ, I have a Dell P2418D and a Dell P2421D (those are QHD 2560 x 1440 px), the latter is just a more recent iteration of the former (they are almost identical). I am quite happy with both of them, they are sharp, give a lot of real estate when using apps and are affordable. I also use an old Spyder4Pro colorimeter to calibrate both.

Thanks @NoisyBird , I will take a look at these monitors :grinning::+1:t2:

1 Like

I ONLY use a gaming laptop (Asus ROG) for my photo editing. I shoot Raw images from a 45 mpxl Canon R5. So my images are massive. I also keep 4-5 programs and a number of huge TIFF files open at the same time. My Asus laptops never fail for my needs.
If you want additional details, just let me know.
John

Thanks @KeithRJ
I will have a choice to do in the next months for a new laptop, I keep aside your recommendation!

Hello @Eskil
I let others advise you about laptops, but I can assure you that, on my desktop, changing the GPU dramatically improved Deep Prime.
My “old” (~5 years) laptop is incredibly slow for Deep Prime, so I am very interested with this discussion!

1 Like

Hi @Altix
As I write above, I actually bought my laptop while my post was waiting one week for moderation.
Based on my benchmark, I’d say that my choices were good, when it comes to speed.

My 4.gen i5 did a 21Mpix picture in DxO (including deepprime) at 3.5min. Topaz denoise at 3min.

My new Lenovo gaming laptop with (only) Ryzen5 5xxx, but a RTX3060 does the same DxO preset at 10.5 sec, and the same topaz denoise at 5.? sec.
This is far faster than DxO’s official benchmark with a RTX1060. My processor is not much faster than their benchmark processor, but my graphics accelerator is over double the speed. And that obviously kicks ass. Where as a Ryzen 7 only would add ~20%.

The main processor is a few times faster. The real difference is the graphics accelerator, so it makes sense to put the money on that.

A gaming laptop is made for high thermal performance, to avoid thermal throtteling. And it works, the pace doesn’t go much down over time, when doing a batch. But the PC is really heavy, not optimal if you need to bring it every day.

Not saying that you can’t get something nicer, better screen, lighter, stronger for more money. But putting the money into graphics, not that much into the processor, seems to be the right choice when needing to compromise.

1 Like

So I can recommend my Lenovo Legion5 15ACH6H with 16Gb, 512Gb (but a free space for a SSD more), RTX3060, Ryzen5 (but the Ryzen7 version would probably be great), and 165Hz screen with 100% sRGB (as the 120Hz screen colourspace is smaller). That is in the case it doesn’t matter that it is heavy and battery time isn’t that long. And the charger is a giant 300W thing to match the power-monster PC. And that you get some pop-ups about gaming, that you don’t care about :slight_smile:

Thank you again @Eskil
Currently my laptop is a Lenovo yoga 3, bought in Sept 2015.
I tryed Deep Prime on it, but it is simply unreasonable (>3 min per photo).
The weight is a parameter to take into account too.

Have fun with you new toy :smiley:

1 Like

Strictly speaking, a Mac is a personal computer.
Deep Prime is extremely fast on it : 62 MPix in 7 s with my MacBook Pro 16".
It is processed before you have begun to prepare the next picture !

1 Like

Ah ah ah @be51 !
I am used to PC, my wife has a Mac but I can’t get familiar with it.
And besides, all my soft wares are on PC, not only DXO…

For the new year I received my new PC with i5 12 Gen RTX3070 and 16 GB RAM DDR5 on 4800 Gh and Windows 11 and all processing including deep prime is less then 4 seconds per image from the beginning to the end of exporting. files are about 30 - 32 MB each (6 min.31 sec for 110) pictures to be exact). I`m very satisfied with this speed.

2 Likes

Thank you @be51
My wife has a mac book, I am not comfortable at all with it : 40 years of Windows using…

That’s sort of what I thought, after a lifetime of using Windows, so I bought an inexpensive MacBook Pro, on sale, to see if I liked it. After a few weeks with a Mac, I was no longer using Windows - but I still have my Lenovo W530 laptop that I took all over the world with me.

The Mac was very easy to use, faster, lighter, and a lot more reasons… but the new computer came with a problem. I called B&H, and they sent me a replacement (with more memory and a faster CPU). It’s a 2015 MacBook Pro, with the smaller screen to be portable, and I still have it, and still use it for traveling. If I knew more about the Mac years earlier, I’d have switched years before I did.

Compared to my 2015 MacBook Pro, my Lenovo W530, with docking station, larger drive, more memory, and lots more “stuff” feels like a dinosaur. Unfortunately, I’m slowly forgetting how to use Windows.

Oh, and one more thing - as often as you like, whenever you like, you can call Apple for assistance with just about anything, they’ll connect to your computer, and tell you want to do (they can see your screen, but not manipulate things). With all my Windows computers, Dell, Gateway, Lenovo, Toshiba - when I called for help the first question was asking for my serial number. Next I needed to pay for assistance, but only with the computer - for software, I needed to call Microsoft. That whole thing is now just a lousy memory.

If you bought DxO for Windows, I am sure you can switch for free to macOS. Most of what you need comes built-in. If you use Adobe stuff, I’m pretty sure you can switch to macOS at no charge, but you may need to deactivate it on the old computer - I think your license covers two computers.

Just a thought. If you play computer games, ignore everything I just wrote, as Windows seems to be the computer of choice, but those game machines are costly…

…and if you do go for a Mac, consider the Mac MINI. No screen, no keyboard, no mouse, just a small box that goes on your desk, and you can change other components as often as you wish.

1 Like

@mikemyers you’re a brilliant Mac advocate !
But I bought myself my PC, maybe 15 or 20 years ago, and then kept it evolving : once the motherboard (+CPU), once the graphic card, once and additional card to get USB3, once adding more RAM etc.
I am not aware of doing so on a Mac…

I am still using very old softwares (like Office 2013 or Photoshop CS6), they will not allow me to switch to Mac, but they would try to sell me a neverending annual fee…

What counts is not the tool, but what you do with it!

Kind regards.

1 Like

Well, the Mac comes with Pages, Numbers and Keynote, which are the equivalent of Word, Excel and Powerpoint, plus a whole load more useful apps, all for free and no upgrade charges. Then you can always use Affinity Photo, which only costs around €50, instead of Photoshop

1 Like

Or, you could install the Open Source image editor, Dark Table, which is similar to other editors - but free.

Apple also comes with a Mail program, which is infinitely better for me than my Office 2016 which I also bought for my Mac.

I am still paying $10/month for Photoshop and Lightroom, but barely use them. I had Photoshop CS6 maybe a decade ago. I wouldn’t go back to it.

I assume you have PhotoLab now - you can install it on two computers, so you can essentially “move it” to the new Apple.

How do you back up your Windows computer? I used to buy back-up software, and also had to burn the operating system files to DVD’s. With Apple, you buy an external drive, and use the free Time Machine software. To be honest, I only bought my first Apple to see what it was like, and so I could help others at the hospital I volunteer at. It had a problem, and was replaced. It was amazing - I just connected my backup drive to the new computer, did a ‘restore’, and I was done! That is the moment when I mentally switched from all my Windows computers to the MacBook Pro.

Windows also has too many restrictions, such as characters you can’t use in file names. Mac accepts anything, as far as I know.

Well said. I went from constantly fiddling with my PC, to just “using” the Mac, mostly just the way it came. Updates are automatic and easier too. I think I should shut up here - but buy just one Mac, even a used one, and find out for yourself what it’s like.

1 Like

As already said, you’re a brilliant Mac advocate!
But my wife already has one, I already tried to use it, but I am not comfortable at all.
That’s all :wink:

Get whatever win-box you can afford and don’t skimp when choosing a graphics card.

If you look around in the forum, you’ll find a google spreadsheet that compares GPU performance…maybe it’s in this thread/post:

… me too

and I still would buy (absolutely low noise & flexible concept)
PL4 computer specs compared to PL3? - #38 by Wolfgang
Getting the PCspec right - #3 by Wolfgang
Extremely slow UI responses when using DeepPRIME - #14 by Wolfgang

The critical & costly part is the video card
Which Video Card? - #30 by Wolfgang

If you don’t want to invest e.g. in NVidia RTX 3060 by now, make sure your power supply can feed the next generation.

1 Like

eeeeeek HDD failure my 2011 XPS starts to crumble… luckily the DATA one not ssd system. :scream:
fast patch ordered a new WD blue 2TB. (can always be swapped over to the new one)

started to look at new 12gen i7… some power in the graphics… :face_with_peeking_eye: Those prices are gone up!!!
1600 euro is nothing anymore.
Build your own yeh right: 800 euro for only the graphicscard easy.

point is:
Buy the best MB and core’s you can get and affort. then latest memory type you can affort(DDR5 capable and 16GB at least), smack in a very stable ssd 256gb/512gb system
good cooling housing and cooler system.
midrange graphic card (easiest to upgrade if needed) (HDMI2.0 4k capable is enough)
some bits and pieces as cardreaders, DVD burner ? eh keep my oldy for that: DVD anyone? :wink:

sell one of your kids,

buy the desktop and a lock for your pcroom.

Geesh inflation is around 25% in pc country!
nope not funny.