My DXO Software Is Worthless Thanks To Mac OS Big Sur 11.1

Any negativity in our responses was solely based upon your first angry post in which you expressed unreasonable expectations. This is actually a very pleasant and respectful forum and we have no “haters” here.

Mark.

5 Likes

So please blame Apple and not DxO/PhotoLab (although they also really shouldn’t be blamed for dropping 32-bit support).

You paid $89 over 7 years that is less than $13/year. I would say exceptional value for your money. You can barely develop a roll of film for that nowadays or 2 cups at coffee at Starbucks. Adobe Lightroom subscription would have cost you $840 or $120/year. Most software vendors indeed let you update from the previous version only. Which would then require you to buy the whole package again.

Also: your software still works fine but you chose to upgrade your computer without checking the requirements for your version of the software.

I get your frustration but there is nothing to be angry about here really and ranting at DxO is plain unfair.

7 Likes

Let’s move on. Direct questions to you @Billm:

• Why did you upgrade? Do you rely on an application that requires macOS Big Sur?
  • If not, are you interested in downgrading?
  • if yes, do you have (a) backup?

I don’t want to get bogged down in an off-topic argument, but on my mac, optics pro 9 is listed as 64 bit and optics pro 7 is listed as 32/64 bit.

So I can see no reason why 10 shouldn’t work (on 10.15, Catalina anyway - I’ve no experience of big sur).

Were multiple versions released - ie a 32 bit and 64 bit version?

Same here… Nevertheless, I took my backup disk and installed OpticsPro versions 8, 9 and 10 on my Apple Silicon MacBook Air and checked with the Go64 app. All OP versions reported as 64 bit apps. I then simply launched the apps in demo mode (too lazy to enter license codes) and looked at what I got:

• OP 8 registered okay but closed immediately. OP8 would not run
  • OP 9 registered okay, opened and seemed to work as expected
  • OP10 registered okay, opened and seemed to work as expected

Note: All OPs had to be launched with ctrl-click (first time only) to force gatekeeper to accept the apps. All apps installed from installers I had downloaded from my account with DxO in Summer 2020.

The cause of the issue is therefore probably not 32/64 bit, but maybe an exceeded install limit? We lack info on how many different computers @Billm has already installed OP10 before.

DxO support might be able to check this…

The issue here Bill is not DxO. Software which works through seven OS upgrades is pretty robust. I don’t understand why you felt the need to run Big Sur (it’s free?). I’m happily running Mojave on my Mac Pros and High Sierra on my MBPs. I only put High Sierra on my MBPs for the sake of Photolab 3.

I won’t be moving past Mojave for another three to five years so I hope DxO has the good sense to maintain support for Mojave in Photolab 5 and Nik 3. Otherwise DxO has lost a good customer and a public advocate.

What bothers me is not that the older versions are not supported on new OS is DxO deliberately crippling new versions to only run on the two latest OS. It’s as if selling new Macs for Apple was DxO’s primary business. The real reason behind it is are young developers too listless to bother creating a build on something other than the very latest OS (the latest Xcode always makes it hard to create builds for anything except the latest two OS, hence a developer should be working on a slightly older OS and Xcode to be able ship a single build which will work on three or four OS).

In your case, Bill you could downgrade your OS and wait until the next major DxO sale and be able to upgrade for closer to €50 than €90.

Hi, platypus. First of all, bless you for suggesting that we move on. The reason for me updating from High Sierra (I think that was the previous Mac OS) to Big Sur is that I always do the updates because Apple recommends it to optimize the performance of the laptop. I recognize that by doing so some applications get funky (e.g., Shutter Count, which Laszlo from Dire Studio suggests is due to the hubris of the Apple folks). I am not interested in downgrading my Mac, and yes, I do have a backup plan, which is to no longer rely on DxO, since I have a number of other RAW processing options available that do work quite well with Mac Big Sur.

Good that you have options.

I do find it quite unfair to blame one company for the debris that is caused by other companies. You have already named 2 other products that caused you to update your OS, while DxO is given the short end of the stick.

DxO is actually the one you can rely on, unlike your other vendors. Why don’t you blame Dire Studio for not fixing the older version and to force you to update to an OS that is still very buggy and broken? Time to ask the right questions.

1 Like

People here probably know by now that I am a Kaizen philosophy advocate.

Therefore, I totally support your request. I also know that you’re a true DxO advocate, as I always see your post about the software around the web. Software should never be artificially blocked to run, but I am fine with ending customer support. This of course should be made very clear in the purchase process.

I tend to update relatively quick myself, but want to see both types of needs accommodated.

1 Like

If I’m correct you could get DxO Optics Pro 11 officially for free some time ago (Mac and Win version).
This version supports 64 bit OS.
Worth a try if you ask me.

You’re welcome, @Billm, no worries.

Nevertheless, I’d not give up so easily. As you can see above, OP10 is able to run on Big Sur, at least on Apple Silicon. I’ve tested earlier versions on Catalina too and have posted results. I’ll post the link to it when I find it.

You can still try to find out how many installations you made with OP10 and then talk to DxO again so that they can maybe deauthorize older activations.

My DxO PhotoLab 1.2.3 Version 82 is crashing after each image is processed.
I checked the Font issue and there are no duplicates.
This is happening on my MacBook Pro 13 Inch M1 silicon.
I purchased MacBook Pro after checking DxO statement that PhotoLab is able to run with Rosetta. Their statement did not say anything about the crashes

Hi there,

I’m sorry about the issue you are having using PhotoLab.
As stated a few months ago by DxO, you need at least PhotoLab 4.1 to make it run on the latest Apple M1 chips.

More info here: State of DxO PhotoLab compatibility with the Apple Silicon M1 – Customer Support

Steven.

Also check out what I fond today

My first thought. I hear Apple is amazing, ok nice, but the way software has to forcibly keep up with OS changes can be maddening I presume. Windows is in most cases, bar maybe a few, backward compatible.

2 Likes

The issue here is that the DxO developers for the Mac version seem to be Apple evangelists and not willing to develop on anything except the latest version of OS X. If the DxO developers would develop on Mojave for instance, they could include compatibility back to 10.12 Sierra without any issue. Of course, some testers would have to be using the latest OS X to ensure forward compatibility. Apple only lets xCode build applications compatible back two versions of the OS. It’s an almost entirely artificial restriction. It’s maddening.

I’m still on High Sierra (stuck at Photolab 3, did not upgrade my second license as a consequence) and Mojave. Not moving beyond Mojave on primary computers for many years so DxO will lose me if DxO Photolab 5 does not run on 10.14. Glad to see Nik 4 does run on Mojave and I’ll be upgrading. Have already been sharing the good word how DxO software can improve the work (better results) and life (better workflow) of photographers.

All this is all the more surprising when you consider that Apple have made Big Sur compatible with computers dating back to 2013