Moving images between computers

Oh yes, advertising and sales people do have a special view of things…

3 Likes

Hi,
I am a newish user having come from iView/ Aperture / Lightroom . I have decided that I am not going to get tied into a proprietary database so I have been experimenting.

DxO PL3 is, in my opinion, a little confused in that its not quite a plug in or a full blown DAM application.

My present experimental workflow is as follows

1. Look at the raw images on the card using FastRawViewer. Star ratings and colour tags are written to am / xmp file.

2. Move selected images and associated .xmp files to library disk.

3. I use an application called NeoFinder to catalog the images and to set keywords and geotags. NeoFinder updates or creates .xmp files.

4. Open files in PL3 using drag and drop onto a photolab project (this is to stop PL3 scanning a folder of thousands of images which takes ages). I have the preference set that forces PL3 to read from .xmp files. It will read and display the star ratings but not the colour tags. It will also read any keywords.

5. Make virtual copies and edits as required. I have these saved into the .dop file that PL3 may create.

6. To move the raw file for editing on a different computer I would move the raw and the two sidecar files (.xmp .dop).

Note: I also save final edit versions as tiff or jpeg as a protection against DxO becoming unavailable. I use NeoFinder to manage my images and I display the final edits alongside the raw source. If NeoFinder becomes unavailable I can use the Finder to locate my images.

It would be good if DxO would write keywords to .xmp files as well as its own database.

Just my two pence.
best wishes

Simon

1 Like

I had a look at NeoFinder — a very interesting application — but it won’t do for me because it does not respect keyword hierarchies. So close, though. It will even import Lightroom keyword lists.

So… I just found a quite palatable stand-in for my keyword needs for the time being. Adobe Bridge 2020 is FREE. All you need is a free Adobe account (I have an account from when I was a LR user). It’s not all that LR keywording is, but it’s a passable imitation and I was able to import my old LR hierarchy.

I just created a brand new keyword and added it to three files using Bridge and without having to even close PhotoLab, I was able to search on the new keyword.

See also specific help on keywords in Bridge:
https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/keywords-adobe-bridge.html

2 Likes

The cloud is for me the best option in your case.
It could be at home (I am using a NAS synology) & a synchro between the NAS folder & my computer to work in local.

You could do that with google or any other client having a synch software.

Syncback can mirror to places one way or two way.

Again… the issue is the DxO data stuck in the database that is the problem. Moving files around is easy.

However, I now have a workable solution thanks to user @Pat91 pointing out in another thread that Adobe Lightroom remains functional as a DAM even when your subscription has expired. Yes, you read the correctly. I just downloaded and installed Lightroom Classic using my old Adobe account that has no plan attached. At each launch it asks me to select a plan, but I can simply dismiss that and carry on. No Develop or Map module, but the Library module appears fully functional.

This means I can manage LR libraries across computers to keep my keywords in place (LR can write them directly to my DNG files) and then I can open in PL for processing. Plus, I can move the .dop files around as necessary to copying my processing between computers.

Not as simple as proper management in PL, but a good middle ground in the meantime.

1 Like

Nice that you have a workaround, dxo is work in progres.
I just ignore the tagging of rawfiles a bit and hope that the tag in, edit tag, tag out wil work soon in dxo pl.
Until then i just use my year month day foldername. Good enough for home use.
Would be nice if they support cloud placed database with inlog.
So you can use any dxo pl anywere and have one database to point to.
( open pl, go to preference, db only check, redirect database location reopen done. Your in your own db.)
Well time will tell.

1 Like

After the transfer finishes, right-click the thumb drive icon and choose “Eject” to remove it safely.

That’s most interesting, @zkarj - Does it work in local mode (completely on one’s own PC) - without requiring Creative Cloud ?

John M

It requires that you have the Adobe installer/license manager installed and that you have logged in to that with an Adobe account. In my case, I stopped my Photography Plan about 12 months ago but left the account active. I now sign in with that same account which is able to install Bridge to a fully functional level and also Lightroom though as mentioned that has limitations.

I totally agree with you