Missing Support for the Apple iPhone 11/12/13/14 pro Series

And there you have hit the nail squarely on the head :smiley:

ProRAW files are not RAW files - they are a proprietary format of an image that has already been demosaïced.

This article Understanding ProRAW — Lux has to be the best references I can find as to why, to my mind, DxO is unlikely to cater for these files. It’s long but worth reading all of it.

3 Likes

Good article with a logic setup. I only can’t find the gamma correction.

George

This misses the point what most of us what if PL to allow DNG to open just as jpeg do to use the same range of adjustment as you can do with jpeg. Great if phone camera corrections were provided but that isn’t what most of us are asking for its the stupidity of blocking DNG that nearly all processing programs will open and allow most of their processing to use. I for one am using PL much less as I have been pushed by age into using my phone more. I down loaded a lot of trial programs after I had a problem (a known bug) opening my ultra 22 DNG in Affinity. No other program had a problem opening my DNG, now had features I feel are as good as PL, but that is irrelevant as PL will not open my DNG. I can do basic editing changing shadows etc. and export as a jpeg (or tiff) to PL but its madness to go through this complicated workflow and I as others I have communicated with in other forums am beginning to wonder if its worth it and many others had stopped using PL (including mu wife) and just use a program that will allow all there images to be processed in the one, if not as good, program.

This from the Wikipedia entry on DNG files…

DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports “non-raw”, or partly processed, images. The latter (non-raw) format is known as “Linear DNG”.

So, as we have known for some years now, DNG might be called a universal format, but it just depends on which universe you inhabit.

Or, not all DNG files are equal in the eyes of RAW processors

Hi,
a quick google search shows for S10 Open Camera app > Settings > Storage options > RAW copies (Pro)

good try

Not on the S10 lite. I can select a pro setting which allows me to adjust the regular shooting parameters but not RAW.

George

Dear George,

in the technical field and especially with smartphones where the model variation differs by just a few letters or numbers in the model designation, it is always better to give exact details :grinning:formation
So “lite” was the important missing info
I’ve just noticed this with notebooks from Lenovo, for example.
If you enter the name “Lenovo Legion 5 15IAH 82RB00LLGE” in Google, you have to be very careful what the search suggests, otherwise you get completely different technical specifications.
That’s why it’s always good to give the exact OS version, the current patch status and, in the case of graphics problems, the exact type designation of the GPU and the exact driver version in a support request.
Technology is getting better, more complex, partly more obscure and…???
Good start into the next week

an interesting article concerning iPhone & iPad

(in German – or using DeepL …)

The article is pretty much the same as our experience, but we replace iPhone with Huawei P30pro and Samsung S20 FE 5G. Recently there was an article somewhere where a mid-range smartphone delivered equivalent photos to the iPhone 14 pro. If I dig out the article again I will post it.
Unfortunately, I have to admit that my wife’s P30pro takes much better photos than my S20FE, especially in low light. If you prop the smartphones up well or use them with a Gorillapod, you get really good shots that leave enough room for manoeuvre even in RAW.
On city trips or short holidays at the seaside, we often use only the smartphones in Pro mode, but when we take tours of lost places, we rely on our Olys.
In the end, everyone has to be satisfied with their own way of photography, the quality of the photos and also the demands on the possible processing and the purpose of the end result (web, picture show, book print, poster).

May the light be with you :grinning:

Google Pixel 7 Pro is also not supported, unfortunately.