Memory Problems v2.2

Running into memory problems with the latest version of Photolab. After a while the computer runs out of Application memory. When it ‘crashed’ application memory for Photolab was around 60GB. Looks like a memory leak?

1 Like

Hello @BobNL,

Could you provide us the crash log maybe ?

Thanks,

Pat

Can do, where exactly can I find them. And which ones do you want? Where should I send them?

Anything more to this topic? I’m having regularly the problem that it eats up all memory… Having to quit Photolab as I ran out of application memory.

1 Like

Hello BoBNL,

Sorry for the delay :frowning:
Could tell me more about your Mac and tell us each actions you do to encounter the problem?

Pat

Hi Pat, it has happened on 2 machines, late 2015 iMac 5K with 24GB RAM (2TB Fusion drive) and on a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro i7 with 8GB (256GB SSD). In both cases I can see the RAM usage go up slowly. Starting at a modest 2-3GB going up to 15-20GB in about 2 hours of working in PL2. The big jumps seem to happen when I use local adjustments (u-point technology). Went from 17GB to 40+GB. After that it doesn’t release any of the memory and continues to grow till 60GB on the MacBook Pro and 100GB on the iMac when a message appears that the Mac ran out of of application memory. Have to (force) quit to release the memory and be able to continue. The library part in general seems to be very slow, in customise all seems pretty ok.

What macOS versions are you running on the computers?

The latest version of Mojave, 10.14.3. Mostly working on Canon EOS R (cr3) files.

Does it happens if you work on other raw images then cr3 files as well?

Perhaps their cr3-parser leaks memory?

I had the same issue overnight.
Running Mojave 10.14.3 on MacPro5,1, 64 GB RAM, 8-core 2.4 GHz Xeon, 3GB Video card
was running an index overnight on large external eSATA RAID0 drive,

I located a file in the Logs folder DXOPhotoLab2_2019-03-20-193859_Denali.hang. If that’s something that would help the devs diagnose the Out of Application Memory error

I guess it’s named “…denial.hang”?

What does the log say if you open it u?
Is it due to a permission error?

Hello tjod,

If you can add it here : http://upload.dxo.com it could be great :slight_smile:
And did you use CR3 pictures too?

Hello BobNL,
Could you try something on your side, could you do some tests in Low Resolution mode please ?
(Do a right click on PhotoLab Icon in the finder, choose “Get Info” and tick “Open in Low Resolution”)

:exclamation: In this case the zoom level will not take in account the density of pixel of retina screen

Hi;

Just sent the log file.

Not sure what camera .CR3 files correspond to, but I suspect Canon?

I use mainly Olympus ORF, but also Sony RX100, Canon Powershot G9, and Olympus E-PL2, E-510 and 520, etc.

General performance seems better this way. But unfortunately, the memory problems are still there. After a few hours working in Photolab, memory usage went up to about 40GB. It looks like it is accumulating slower.

Btw, I haven’t found what really triggers big jumps in memory usage. It doesn’t seem to be local adjustment perse. Have the activity monitor open at all times. And hope to find out what is the trigger.

Hello @BobNL

We identify a memory leak with CR3 files, we are currently working on a fix.

A release is planned tomorrow but we can’t push the fix for CR3 because it is not ready, when we have it we will push it, we try to do our best to release the fix as soon as possible.

@tjod for you I think the problem is not the same, we will investigate your problem.

3 Likes

Thanks! if there is any way I can help you out let me know.

1 Like

Thanks. I have since run another index which completed successfully.

So well @BobNL
We just release a 2.2.1, notice that the Memory leak fix is not included yet

Anyway the leak is founded and we are currently fixing it, we will try to release it soon, but we need to discuss internally to decide, we hope to release it maybe next week.

Cheers,
PAt

2 Likes