Make sharpening visible at less than 75% zoom

If this has already been brought up recently, I apologize. I realize that the ability to view the effects of of the Lens Sharpness and Unsharp Mask panels only when zoomed to 75% and above was intended to speed up processing, but just about every other post processing program I’m familiar with seems to apply sharpening at most, if not all, zoom levels. It can be very inconvenient when trying to view the effects of sharpening on the entire image. I think its time that this is addressed.

Mark

If this feature is retained to be available, for me it should absolutely be an option (in Preference for instance) or a toggle to avoid that all images are constantly calculated to display the sharpened image.

4 Likes

Yes please! a real rendered preview including Prime Noise because sharpening and noise reduction are “siamese twins”
Like :
full screen Sharpening (checkbox)
full screen Prime Noisereduction (checkbox)

I don’t mind to wait a moment if i want to examen the results. (now i have to export the image to disk=> make a actual Jpeg and examen this in a viewer.)

1 Like

First I like the idea of also be able to view the results of Prime processing along with sharpening at any zoom level, without first having to export. That would be great.

However, both of you may be overthinking the need for new features or check boxes to prevent Prime or sharpening calculations from slowing things down as you change zoom levels. First, with regard to sharpening, it does take a few seconds of processing time to apply it once you go above 75% zoom, but it doesn’t take any additional processing time all the way to 400%. So apparently, once its applied at 75% it doesn’t need to be reprocessed unless you go below 75% . I suspect the same would be true if the starting point for applying it was, let’s say, 25%. Applying Prime may be more problematic of course. Second, switches to prevent processing Prime or sharpness from slowing things down already exist. Simply uncheck the Noise Reduction panel or Lens Sharpness panel. The settings in them don’t change so they can be toggled on or off as desired.

1 Like

yes your right.
i am not sure about the lens global sharpening and corrections is slowing down the cpuspeed. , but i think i like to have those on all the time, to keep the editing feel in in and out zooming states. prime noise can,if sharpening engine isn’t coörporate with noise reduction settings , yes its just check uncheck.
Otherwise i prefere the present setting which i can expand to full rendering.
my other app does fullrendering and it is visiual rendering after a change. delaying the next move. i can turn it off in preferences but then i lose real visiual rendering. So a checkbox to start and stop would be fine. (keep the tool active ( so i can zoom in and out) but not real full rendering unless i want it.)

@mwsilvers,
I think that you lower thinking the time needed to display the image at full sharpening.
This depends a lot of the raw file size (I’m working on Sony raw 20 Mpix and Nikon 45 Mpix files) and of the screen definition (I have a 4K 27" BenQ screen).
So I don’t know about which image size and display type you’re referring stating that we are overthinking, but in my case, with my display connected to my MacBook Pro, I have the following display results, measured starting when the image appeared in the main panel and ending when the full rendering is done:
Sony 20 Mpix: at 50% it takes 7", going to 90% it takes 18", opening directly at 90% it takes 22". So for me it’s already a big difference.
Nikon 45 Mpix: at 60% it takes 13", going from 62 to 100% it takes 21", and opening directly at 75% it takes 45".

So, I think that from 13" to 45", it’s not simply overthinking, and in my case it does not take a few seconds.
And I guess that you may understand that I prefer to have 13" to display the image than 45".

When I write:

I don’t speak about displaying at other zooming % as effectively it does not take much time once we’re over 75%, but each time you move a cursor for correction, in this case it takes around 15" to 20" for each.

About your suggestion:

you mean that we should remove mandatory corrections, with the risk to forgot to apply them for export.
I think that this less user friendly that having for you to simply apply the zoom you want.

Or perhaps you may benefit from a greater and more defined screen allowing you to constantly display your images at more than 75%?

About Prime, I’m not concerned by OXiDant request, as I’m happy with the current thumbnail Prime display which is enough for me.

1 Like

What imo is annoying is the fact that Chromatic Aberration and Purplefringing stil visible is on full view, which is distracting sometimes. i need to zoom in and wait to see it disappear.
Moiré is a different story, i think that that is also a a viewing resolution issue (when i zoom in in DxO PL it is gone and after export at full view it is visible at FHD wile zooming in disapears. So buy a 4k screen does correct this. (logic wile a 1920x1080 (FHD) is a 4K (UHD) 3840x2160 and my output Jpeg res is 4229x3176 so less pixels to combine downscaling which can be resulting in moiré.) But as far as i understand is the Moiré correction when activated on all screen % active(realtime visible and not only after exporting.) if needed. (In my preset i have it actived at all times because of my non AA filter sensor.)

So i agree with @Pathal that the fact that the sharpening and global lenscorrections active(rendered) at full view are more important then noise reduction.

Absolutely, yes !

This proposal could be a useful feature - BUT, if it were to impact image rendering speed then it must be a consciously selected option.

John M

Forgetting all the previous arguments, one fact remains, unless I “pixel peak” at 100%, any other display zoom is just plain soft. It is basically a poor image display algorithm being used. I don’t expect to see the result of fine sharpening at a 25% zoom nor do I expect to see noise reduction effects at such a zoom either. I just want a clear image like every other app in the world does instead of a soft image like looking through lightly frosted glass.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by “any other display zoom is just plain soft”. If I’m looking at any image at 70% zoom and then zoom in to 75% or higher, all the sharpening appears and all of my images are certainly not soft at that point. Even below 75% my images are not soft, they may just in need some sharpening. I’m not sure why what you’re seeing is different than what I’m seeing. I don’t need to see the sharpening at 25%, but it would be nice if it was applied at around 40% rather than 75%

1 Like

4 years… and nothing has been done…