Make "master" deletable again / treat all copies the same

If I can make anytime any copy the master, that’s fine with me. Then the copy tagged as master may be protected against deletion.

I added this option to the original posting.

Since you asked: I reckon it’s an inconsequential annoyance, with a simple, quick & easy work-around. I’d prefer more important issues were addressed than this (for me) rather minor one … So, I’m neutral.

Yes, apparently, DxO received a lot of support questions from users who were confused about which “version” was the Master - where they did not understand that, actually, there is no true master - just different versions (as we, in this conversation, know). So, they created a "M"aster … with one positive side benefit that I explained above.

John

You could use traffic lights to control that too.

That is true as long as you don’t use them for some other purpose!

True again… Now, if we used traffic lights and stars already, we’d need colour tags and more…:cake:

1 Like

But that’s the idea of a virtual copy. First you have one image and work with it. Then you make a virtual copy and try some other steps. And a third and fourth.
Finally you decide which one is the best and delete all other versions (or you keep them all :blush:).
But with the actual solution you have to copy all your settings from the virtual copy you like to the so called Master, which technically is also a kind of virtual copy, not the original RAW file.

2 Likes

Hi @obetz/Oliver - - As a compromise solution (with, perhaps, more likelihood of being implemented sooner than a total rewrite of VC concepts), you might like to vote for this proposal.

Regards, John M

1 Like

since it is spread over several postings of this thread, the solution worked out here might be overlooked: Allow (free and) static naming of virtual copies. Besides naming, there is no technical difference between virtual copies so a “master” it no more than a VC not causing a suffix on the exported image. Making the VC names static obsoletes the idea of a “master” probably only invented to avoid wrong assignment of exported images.

2 Likes