MacbookPro suitable?

Dear all,

I have a 2017 21.5 iMac with an i5 processor (3.4 GHz quad-core), 16 GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 560 4 GB. However, I am planning to buy a MacbookPro and sell the iMac since I‘d like to be more flexible in terms of mobility and connect the labtop with an external monitor for Photo editing when I am at home.

Do you think, the lowest-entry Macbook Pro will be sufficient for DxO PL?
The specs are as follows: 1.4 GHz quad-core i5, 8th generation, 3.9 GHz turbo boost, 8 GB RAM and Intel Iris Plus Graphics.

This configuration was suggested for photo editing in a youtube video, but since PhotoLab is not the fastest responding software, even with my actual iMac configuration, I have some doubts.

Hi Max,

Maybe some of our users will also give you some hints, but here are my 50 cents: the laptop you are considering buying has basically the same raw CPU performance compared to your “old” iMac. The big difference is the GPU. The iMac uses a discreet GPU while this Macbook Pro model uses an integrated graphics card (the Iris Plus 650 to be precise). Unfortunately, this card is between 2.5x & 3x slower than the one used in your iMac.

If you can afford the entry level Macbook pro 16" which has a discrete GPU (AMD Radeon Pro 5300M) that’s 2.5x more powerful that the one in the iMac you use today. But I know, the 16" model costs $1000+ much more expensive!!!…If your purchase is somewhat something that you consider using for quite some time, I would suggest you to go for the bigger model. Unfortunately, entry-level Macbook Pros have slow integrated GPUs that can translate into slower performances in certain GPU intensive tasks…

…and usually, also uses RAM for graphics too. I’d want more than 8GB Ram anyway.

Good point!

Could e-gpu be an option ?

Wouldn’t that be even more expensive than the macbook itself?

I’ve ran various design, video and photo editing tools on three MacBook pros and the differences are negligible. 2012 MBP with a dedicated GPU and i7 CPU , 2017 MBP i5 16gb ram iris GPU , and a new 2020 10th gen i5 with 16gb ram and integrated GPU.
Since the world has moved to SSD HD the performance of these machines is just fenominal. The difference will be the type of files you’re processing and whether the application is developed for that hardware.
If you buy a new Apple device you get a 2 week return or exchange so get the base model (more ram is always a good idea anyway) and test the hell out of it.
With the spare money get a good monitor.

Hi, thx for your helpful replys.
Regarding the GPU…
I am wondering if DxO PL makes much use of GPU acceleration at all. As stated here (GPU acceleration Photolab) it seems that the GPU is not adding that much of an improvement. Therefore, wouldn’t the Macbook integrated graphics chip be suitable if the other components are sufficient (eg 16 GB of RAM and a fast i5 processor of the latest generation)?

@MaxReebo GPU acceleration in PL is still something that we try to continuously improve. The next major version of PhotoLab will indeed continue on this track. I can assure you that at least one major feature, in PL4, will greatly take advantage of your GPU extra computing power. (please don’t ask, I can’t say anything more… :wink: ).
If you are not in a hurry, migo33’s tip could be a wise one. When the next version of PL will be available, give it a try by yourself…

PS/ Yes eGPU could also be an option.
Of course, if then you’ll put a Radeon VII inside the enclosure, price will go through the ceiling…(and BTW, this “at least one major feature in PL4” will be compatible with eGPUs).

It’s a cost yes… but if someone (like me :grimacing:) like the 13" form factor but wants more power and a big screen at home/office :heart_eyes:
It is also a way to buy step by step and extend the possibilities.