Mac or PC for PL?

PhotoLab 5 has been a universal binary starting with version 5.1.3 build 55. Newer versions have been further optimised for Apple Silicon and its neural engine.

1 Like

i wish someone would had saved Aperture, it was a great software =/

1 Like

It still is. I’ll keep my old 2010 iMac for as long as possible as Aperture still runs on it. Like it used to do for years. can’t believe no other app gets close to this 20 years ago introduced app.

Usually I’ll find an image in Aperture 4 or 5× time faster than in C1. I don’t want to mention the time needed in PL, as it clearly has nothing to offer as a DAM, at least nothing close to current state of the art. Which goes also for C1, that “state of the art” bit.

I just tested Rawpower, it’s from a former Aperture developer. You notice it has pretty much the same algorithms as Aperture, it’s quite fast, which is really nice to use. Unfortunately it does not seem to have any local editing capabilities, which is a show stopper for me. In Aperture, you could use any tool for local adjustments. Also the library module is pretty much based on Apple Photos, but I saw you can also use folders, maybe it’s not so bad. The user interface looks a bit unorganized to me, you can see it’s created by an engineer and not a designer. But something one could get used to.

Haha, same for me, also from 2010. And it still runs faster than many current softwares on modern machines, not to name any … :smiley:

according to wikipedia, you can run it even on the latest Sonoma if you have the plugin called “Retroactive”.

Funny, I’ve heard the first time about retroactive yesterday, as it can bring iTunes back. “Music” app was such a disappointing, brainless app destroying order of playlists and “forgetting” all covers of imported music. Same with “Photos”. Some Apple apps really lack of the genius of a tyrant caring for them.

Unfortunately, only one or two of my current cameras are supported by Aperture. All the bodies after 2014 no longer get the RAW update, I believe, which runs at the core of Aperture. Another funny thing was, over at C1 forums one of the mods claim to helped C1 implementing an “Aperture library import”, but at the same time said he didn’t use some of AA’s major features. No wonder the import failed catastrophically for the ones using “faces” and “places”.

Btw. Maderafunk, you said something like

and I was wondering if you think of some software cooperative like the L-Alliance in hardware? Given the behaviour of C1 and DxO I’m afraid it could never get pass the pride of the various managements of DxO and C1. Also, a major disagreement would be the stubborn, yet solid believe of DxO into their homemade lens profiles and C1’s ignorance to improve their DAM part.