M11 - Lens metadata different based on LiveView on/off

Hello!

I noticed something quite strange while editing photos shot on my Leica M11. The lens that PL6 reports for the image differs depending on whether it was shot with LiveView on or off. Note that this isn’t just cosmetic. PL6 seems to on correctly detect and enable the Optics Module ONLY FOR images shot with LiveView on, which is quite annoying.

To illustrate this, I’ve attached two images. Both were shot on the same day, same camera, same firmware version. The only difference again, is that one was shot with LiveView and the other wasn’t, and the camera was powered off between the two shots.

1. This one, PL6 reports as Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH, and uses the DxO optics module. Dropbox - L1000254.DNG - Simplify your life
  2. This, PL6 reports as Apo-Summicron-M 50mm 1:2/50 ASPH. Dropbox - L1000247.DNG - Simplify your life

I used exiftool to dump the metadata, and it gives the same Lens ID value for both: Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH., same as what PL6 reports for the non LiveView version.

Please help. I’d like to be able to us the Optics Module for all my images!

Submit a support ticket at support.dxo.com and then use upload.dxo.com to provide sample RAW files for that ticket.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @nemesisrobot

Both files report to have the same lens…

…but they report different aperture values

The difference can be caused by a glitch when the files are written in camera or by a systematically different way to register the values depending on whether LV is on or off. You can find out if the difference is systematic by taking a few shots with the same settings in both modes and see what the resulting files report…

…nevertheless, the camera has no way to register the aperture automatically. Maybe the f/1.0 throws DPL off, in which case you’d want to follow @Egregius’ advice.

1 Like

As Leica M-lenses don’t feature electronic contacts, the “interpretation” of the aperture by a mechanical control curve between lens and body might be misinterpretd/affected by a firmware bug. After all, it’s only Leica :joy: and the company is not too well known for their state of the art electronics.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, the aperture value sounds like the likely culprit.

…you could try to edit the aperture value and see what the consequences are. Use a copy of the original file for such a test…

Yeah, just checked and it does indeed fix the problem.

@sgospodarenko , this looks like something that needs to be fixed…

• Lens make and model are identical, aperture values are different,
    which switches DPL’s lens module selection (at least with Leica gear).

Alternatively, DPL could (finally) allow manual module selection,
which has been requested several times over the last years :wink:

1 Like