Low performance on Mac

Hi
Since long time now after several support I have still low performance on my Mac Pro.
If I compare Photolab 2 with Bridge or Lighroom time to refresh photo or show photo is very longer on Photolab more 5 to 10 seconds to show photo full def…
My config :
Model : MacPro5,1
Processor : 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,33 GHz
Physical Core : 2
Virtual core : 12
Cache de level 2 (by core) : 256 Ko
Cache de level 3 (by core) : 12 Mo
RAM : 48 Go
Version de la ROM de démarrage : 140.0.0.0.0
Version SMC (system) : 1.39f5
Version SMC (processor) : 1.39f5
macOS 10.13.6 (17G6030)

Thank you
Laurent

You might want to check the Advanced settings in Preferences to make sure you have enough cache memory specified and verify how many images you have set to process simultaneously.

I work on a MacBook Pro (15", 2018) and I have no performance issues at all during adjustments and only see any export delays if I am using Prime NR, but that is to be expected.

Are you processing raw or jpgs? If raw, how large are they?

PL2 does run slower that PL1 on MAC, doesn’t matter what you change in preference. live filter affect the entire process for sure.

Does your mac use hdd or ssd?

I found that ssd can speed up dpl. It will not shorten processing times but it will improve overall reactivity.

I have an hdd on the imac, had a 1tb hdd for the price of a 250gig ssd, maybe by the time I get another computer those ssd will have drop price.

It is not an issue due to my disks because I have nvme SSD disks 1500mbs
And I tested several change on cache settings in Photolab 2 and same issue long time for me to use Photolab2.
I making ARW sony a7iii and a9 never jpeg
No issue with Lightroom or bridge/camera raw

another example low perf in PL2
exporting 113 arw to jpeg in SSD : more then 30 minutes :open_mouth:

I need to comment that I have not seen any slowdown in PL2 from PL1 on my MacBook Pro. My normal raw image processing runs about 5 seconds/image and that is right in line with what it was with PL1.

I am not suggesting that others are not seeing an actual slowdown, only that I am not. Perhaps it has to do with how the software is using the chip, memory and cache. I don’t know but my version of PL2 is pretty snappy.

Performance is a fairly subjective matter unless we introduce some kind of reference of how much time can be considered and for what. Measurements need a baseline that provides a means for repeatability and objectivity (the possibility to get results if the test is run by someone else. As each system (hardware, file/source, customizing and process steps to mention a few) will vary, each system will provide a different baseline. The tolerance to how much time is considered long or short is another thing that might not be standardized though.

Process steps

1. Import: Image update depends on preset again. As a reference, I’d use “NoCorrection” again.
  2. Export: Depends on what has been customized in an image. I propose to use “NoCorrection” as a baseline for all time measurements.
  3. Customizing: Difficult to measure, too many options

I’ve been running performance tests with the same set of images for many years, measuring export times mostly. This did not matter really, because I can do something else in parallel, so I dropped these tests completely.

I also noticed that DPL is much less reactive than DxO OpticsPro (v11). I suppose that this is due to the change of programming of the rendering machine (policy and actual calculations) and found that DPL runs about equally well from the built-in HDD as when booted from an external SSD, which seems to compensate the slower interface (USB or Thunderbolt in my case) to a certain degree.

A few months ago, I got the 2019 iMac that now replaces my 2012 iMac. More cores and SSD instead of HDD made a nice change, DPL got “back to normal”, and, as an additional benefit, I don’t compare DPL any more to OpticsPro, because I did not install older versions of software on the new machine.

Nevertheless, DPL is slower than OpticsPro used to be and I’d really love it if DxO could bring DPL up to that speed again, but alas, there is not much we can do but hope for the best.

My first issue with DLP2 is only to see in full screen each photo without correction
between to arw Sony it takes 3-5 seconds to have a good see on photo…
the same in Bridge CS6 takes 1-2 seconds…

@lbuisson PL2 is applying the defined preset when you view the photo. I don’t believe that Bridge does that at all so I would expect it to be significantly faster.

How long does it take if you set the default to No Correction?

While it doesn’t relate to Mac performance issues, going from image to image with presets and edits applied takes around 4 seconds on my mid level Windows 10 machine . Going from image to image with no adjustments or presets applied takes less than 1 second. If Bridge does not apply presets or edits, than under the same conditions PL is just as fast. However I believe I read that Bridge may have some basic preset functionality…

Mark

Bridge CS6 put all in cache then when I switch between several photos it takes never more 2 seconds to show full screen photo full details
DPL2 takes 3-5 seconds to do the same :frowning:
which is nightmare when I work on project and need to compare several photos…

@lbuisson Why would be nice is some way to use the “compare” slider with 2 images instead of only showing the difference between “before” and “after” for one image.

I’m not compare the before after of the same photo but compare similar photos which are different.
To know which one I must keep.

…this would be helpful (has been posted as feature request as far as I remember). The somewhat helpful way to simulate this is to increase image size in library mode. This does not allow for thorough examination though.

Welcome in the Matrix. Sadly, DxO products tend to get slower and slower because they add more and more useless crap into code.

Imagine, how I feel with 50MPx camera system :smiley:

Still, you have pretty old PC/system and macOS 14 changed everything - first full 64b OS. Previews are all about GPU. Your system is more optimized for PL1

I have got MBP 14,3 with almost full spec - 50MPx Canon RAW picture, no correction, switching between two photos takes about 1s. Presets applied + geometric corrections + DxO Film simulation, preview takes about 4s.

Adobe Ps CS6 is obsolete and more optimized for macOS 13, I am not surprised it runs faster.

Running 20-30MPx Nikon or Canon RAWs used to be instant on PL1.
There is also issues with macOS upgrades - it happened to me several times that something got screwed up during upgrade. System works but it is bloody slow or crashes. You never now until you do clean re-install

The real problem on macOS is the inability for PL to utilise the GPU.
It simply don’t care about it.
You could actually have the brand new Thunderbolt 3 MBP or Mac mini running a GPU based render farm and PL would not tap into it.
Instead it sits happy in the CPU and pushes them as hard it can.

But for any signal processing like an image a CPU is bleak compared to a modern GPU.

DxO really need to get this otherwise the modern 50-100Mpixel cameras will kill the Mac version of the PL and many might want to look in other directions for a snappy developer and retouch application.

2 Likes

What I see at the moment DxO PL2 is not usable for photo batch or pro processing.
to more lag and issues

on same config Bridge/Camera raw CS6 or Lightroom or on1 photo raw have instant results on my bi xeon mac pro, Then I need to return to them instead using PL2 and optics correction :frowning: