Local Adjustment Proposal: Show if mask is inverted

Ah thanks,
i think in local adjustments controlpoints are a bull/ram in a hurt of cows/sheeps. It just works different and as the erasor can be used for un-mask area’s you don’t like to have touched by the layed out mask even with Gradual filter this isn’t possible with controlpoints.
And negatives arn’t detailed enough to isolate a object/area in your image which you don’t like to be touched. So because of this behaviour using the controlpoints can be a struggle and masking with paint is easier to control certainly now you have some feathering and opacity to blend the masks more with the rest.
I like controlpoints because you can change the look with a few clicks on the image if you wel place the eye’s.
That’s why i like to have a “neutralizer paintbrush” which is in fact the erasor for the others :wink:
The problem is that the software Upoint is that much different that i think it 's imposible to make this happen. So maybe a adjustable feathering is possible by adjustable iris around the pupil. so you can change the multicolor touch. (you can do this a bit by zooming in as far as you need to isolate your color you want to effect from the colors you don’t but then the feathering gets harser too. see mask “m”.

easier target is the Auto brush inner and outer circle. (a cleanup command to see which edges the autobrush is catching.) so when you invert you don’t have to repaint as much.

What do you say Peter ?
Is this a dutch expression ? :thinking:
Pascal

:sweat_smile: sort off(around here it’s a expression). i ment it’s total different from the rest and it brings something extra to complete the group (of tools).

Peter

2 Likes

I am not sure I understand what you are saying with regard to inverting a control point mask.

After you have added control points and negative control points to a layer you generate a grey scale mask of the combined effects of the control points.

Surely to generate the inverse mask you just transform the grey scale mask? I don’t think users are expecting to generate an inverted mask and retain control points in the inverted mask. They just want to have the parts of the image that weren’t selected in the control point mask to be selected in the inverted mask. I would expect that to be on a new layer for ease of programming and user convenience.

Ian

The advantage of CP is that you are not painting a mask, the mask is generated automatically. the amount of feathering is much greater than using a brush and this helps produce changes that are quite organic as it is very hard to detect any edge to the mask compared to a brushed mask.

If you have a sky you wish to darken that has projections like trees etc in the sky line using CP’s allows you to quickly select the sky as it is working like a luminosity mask so the dark trees etc are not selected and or can be deselected with negative CP’s. Painting a gradient and then erasing is more work. Also if there is colour in the sky that is also easy to select with CP’s and enhance.

CP technology is a very positive advantage for DXO-PL3 and it is my preferred tool. Enhancement of the CP technology for example would enable true luma masking to be introduced relatively easily as it is working like that already. Same for colour range masking, making DXO-PL even more competitive with LR.

Ian

Hy Ian,
I agree with you that CP’s are a wonderfull toolset.
i know that CP arn’t remotely the same as a conventional mask. Ive played with them a lot to see how they work. i don’t know luminositymasking in other applications but i understand remotely how this work. it uses the luminosity levels to select a grey %. like the selective tone sliders.
Controlpoint is much more local:
-the pupil is collecting the pixelcolor to select the pixels with the same color around inside the circle of influence.

What would be interesting is to have a slider inside the CP-menu which works like the HSL’s color selection criteria of uniformity. (so you can manual influence the pupils colorgroup selection thus the feathering.(intensity of the mask)
Now you need to zoom in or out and place the CP exact on the color/hue you want to control the color/hue widhtness pickup in the pupil. (zoom out and you pickup bigger area in the pupil and zoom in to narrow the selection down.)

“neutralizer paintbrush”: i think this is very difficult to implement in CP controls Thus a negative and or contra adjusted new CP’s do the trick now. I need to play more with the new Opacity slider in the “local Adjustments tool.” I think this can help out in the “feathering/blending in”

Yes sky “blue” is a very difficult “color hue” range of blueisch/greyisch pixelgroups. Sometimes it’s needed to add more CP’s next to each other to get all variations of the skycolor in one menu control or just place two independant CP-groups in the sky to have two channels to control the sky appearance.

The HSL tool has a great color/hue selecting mechanism with feathering and uniformity. But it’s global so if this color/hue you want to change is also somewhere else in your image present then you effect this area with your adjustments and not only the sky.

So a lot of things are already in here but finding the right path and combined use is the trick!:woozy_face:

If the HSL-tool technology can be fit inside the Local Adjustment masking technology you get a very powerfull tool to adjust any color/hue on any scale.:heart_eyes:

biggest problem is if you expanding a toolset, is knowing what to use when in combination with what. So i think i need to play a lot more in PLV3 to filter out what’s not possible and what’s possible if you know what to do. From there i can pinpoint the needed addings/improvements.

(the multibrush/erasor is such a thing which can be very useful for blending in adjustments.)

Sorry for the long reply i get enthusiast when i read about this matter.
edit: owh and it has something to do with inverting mask. :wink: That small button “Invert” bring up a big load of extra in use and possible problems to pop up. smart brush has this “problem popup” which is addressed and worked on as we speak and when we get the "copy and invert"option then it’s even more a big step forward.
See this video quick thing about two CP’s next to each other and one inverted so they cover the hole image together. I messed up the colors to show and i think CP’s and inverting can be used as “negatives with control.” wile a normal negative just blocks a CP influence. by carefully placing a mask by a inverted CP to counter effect the other you can blend the effects nicely together by using the opacity slider after finetuning both CP’s in the menu.

2 Likes