List of features Elite vs Essential

Hi all
I extensively searched DxO site in French and in English, I used google to find reviews and didn’t find a chart with the features of both versions. I am considering upgrading to DPL 2 and wonder if I choose Elite or Essential and I would like to assess whether Elite is really relevant for me.
Does such a chart even exist?
TIA
Nick

C’est là

et là
https://www.dxo.com/fr/dxo-filmpack/pricing/

Pascal

1 Like

And here is the same chart in English. While there are a number of differences the two most important ones for most people would be the inclusion of Clearview Plus and PRIME noise reduction in the Elite version. They are both major features that I would not be willing to give up.

I’m not sure why your Google search didn’t turn anything up for you. My Google search criteria was “DXO Photolab difference between the Elite and Essential versions” and the very first result was the link I’ve posted below.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick answers. I searched with “features”, “list”, “Elite”, “Essential”. Wrong keywords.
I’ll be able to make my decision. I think the most relevant to me with Elite are Clearview and PRIME.
Nick

1 Like

I agree. Those two featues alone are worth the higher price of the Elite version.

You might also want to consider purchasing Viewpoint which allows you to fix perspective issues and really should have been built into the Elite edition rather than a separate plug-in, in my opinion.

Finally, I also use FilmPack 5 Elite which besides film emulations and the ability to add grain, also adds a number of other great features including creative vignetting, blur, additional contrast controls, of which my favorite is micro contrast, textures, and framing, among others.

Mark

2 Likes

My first experience with DxO was a licence for free (the earlier Optics line). With release of Photolab 1 I bought a licence for Elite (now PL2) , because of Prime Noise reduction and Clear View.
This was the most important thing for me and a showstopper.

• Now I can raise ISO up to 3200 or 6400 on my EOS 80D APS-C and will receive really good pictures.
  • I re-processed pictures, formerly done without Clear View, again and had my “wow”-effect.

I’m not using Filmpack, but Viewpoint as addon. Won’t miss it!

1 Like

When you say, “Won’t miss it.” Are you referring to FilmPack 5? Well I suppose if you don’t use it you certainly won’t miss it, and you may not realize how powerful and useful many of the features are. I myself don’t use the film emulations in Film Pack 5 Elite very often, but I use many of the other FilmPack features all the time, and I would most definitely miss them.

Mark

I bought it with my first purchase of DOP in 2015. I use it a lot not only for perspectives but for other geometric stuff. It’s both very powerful and easy to use.

I have it too but I hardly ever used it besides micro contrast sometimes.
Nick

That’s an argument!
Nick

No, I mean, I won’t miss Viewpoint. I tried FP, saw it’s interesting features, but don’t need it for today. Maybe later.

Ok. I use Viewpoint often to straighten verticals and fix other camera related perspective distortions. If I was just shooting landscapes and/or portraits I probably wouldn’t need it. But for other images it can be very useful.

Imagine an avenue with trees an both side and you take a wide angle picture down the street. You can do a keystone correction (hopefully dict:cc is correct) of the trees. VP is not only useful for architecture.

1 Like

That is certainly correct. I probably should have said in my earlier post that If I was just shooting landscapes and/or portraits I probably wouldn’t use it as much as I do for other images.

You’re absolutely right, this is an unusual use…