Lightroom settings

Hi, I have just tried the demo version of PL6 and my workflow is to adjust the raw file (Fuji RAF) in lightroom then send to PL6 for noise reduction and optical corrections then export back to Lightroom. However the files exported back to Lightroom no longer have the Lightroom adjustments that I made to them. All my raw files have an XMP file attached. Am I missing something obvious? Your help would be most appreciated.

You first have to denoise and do all the corrections settings in DPL than export the dng files to lightroom only than you tweak the adjusment in LRC thats the way DPL And LRC are built .that’s the correct way to work on raw images with these two apps.

Ahh got it. Many thanks for your help.

When you export back to LRc do you remove the checks in the exif/metadata pop up?

I’m not near computer and haven’t edited anything for a few weeks so memory vague!

However I noticed an occasional bug with the round trip that means if you remove the exif/meta before sending back to LRc once it re-ingests into the LRc catalogue it has lost everything you did in LR before sending it and can end up looking nothing like what you expect.

This is with DPL5 though but possibly with 6 also.

Best fix I found was to leave all the default ticks on the export pop up and the file arrives back in LRc with any adjustments still present and the tweaks from DPL applied.

As a result of this bug or whatever is going on I stopped editing in LRc first although I was only doing crops mainly before sending to DPL.
Now it’s LRc cull > DPL (de-noise/smart lighting etc as I feel) > export to LRc (leave pop up box alone and at its ‘default’) > edit in LRc

Ahh that’s interesting. I will check. Many thanks.

When you export a photo from Lr to PL, it makes a DNG file. When returned to Lr, you can sync/copy the adjustments from the original RAW file (at least unless you converted your RAW files to DNG during the import).

Some files will have the white balance slightly shifted in PL but that is easily corrected in Lr (in my case by the same amount every time). Cloning healing will be misaligned as PL’s optical corrections are different than those of Lr.

Many thanks. It’s all a learning curve.

1 Like

When you export a RAW image from LrC to DPL it does not create a new file, it simply hands the RAW file to DPL for it to open. When you export back from DPL to LrC, after any editing in DPL, then DPL can create a DNG (or other file type e.g. Tiff) which is then imported into LrC.

I have found that any edits I have already applied to a RAW file in LrC are not visible in DPL (as it only gets the RAW file) but on return as a DNG these edits seem to get applied. This may be because I also create XMP files automatically in LrC but I’m not 100% sure of that.

Depending on the camera, I find that the retuning DNG may be off in exposure (by 1/3 or 2/3 stops) and the colour profile I assigned in LrC on original RAW import is not always honoured.

1 Like

That’s definitely not how my Lr Classic to PL and back works. LrC exports a DNG (without any Lr edits) which PL them returns with its noise reduction, lens sharpening and optical corrections. This is also how DxO explains the workflow.

@innerVision How are you getting your files to PL from LR? If you go via File > Plugin Extras > Transfer to DxO PhotoLab, it should just open the raw file in DxO without creating a DNG. DxO can then save a DNG back to Lightroom with either DeNoise and Optical corrections only, or all adjustments. If you go from LR to PL via the Edit In (external editor) path in Lightroom, it will usually create a file first, though I don’t believe that DNG is an option at that point (I usually use TIFF).

@greatwhite, DPL and LrC can cooperate and you can ping-pong files between the two…but it does not make sense.

Best practice:

1. open the RAW files in DPL and save the result as DNG with either of the two options (all corrections vs. optical and noise reduction only)
  2. sync (or import) in LrC, the folder with DPL’s DNG files.
  3. do all the rest in LrC

Read the user guide.

1 Like

https://userguides.dxo.com/photolab/en/exporting-images/#workflow_with_adobe_lightroom_classic

1 Like

I shoot a lot of Fuji RAF. I did the whole RAW rendering comparison with LRC against all the others and to my surprise the DxO app returned such clean, sharp images compared to the artifacts in LrC and the improved but not as good as DxO results from Capture One and ON1, that I went all in for all their products! (Overkill btw)

For the best possible RAW processing for me what makes more sense is to cull out the picks and selects for a shoot in Lightroom or a culling app without adjustments. Then I can either send all the selects to PureRAW for processing from LrC, or just open up Pure RAW and point it to the selects folder, processing and converting all to beautiful DNG’s that LrC handles much better. You can save back to the original folder and then sync the folder in LrC and there they are in LrC.

I use either and both to adjust landscapes and street but need to continue with LrC’s cataloging system. And let’s face it for portraits, I find LrC is top in class for portrait editing. BTW I also process select RAWS taken with other kits as PureRaw 2 corrects out any lens distortion and vignetting and I swear it looks like I used better glass, for way less than the cost of a lens!

This method is a little redundant and will use more storage space, and depending on what you are using it for, most images will be viewed on a screen anyway. (just use the the FUJI film jpgs for that). But for anything that is going to be enlarged for printing or large media display on high res monitors, try PureRaw standalone.

PL6 is great of course, and if you buy these modules, they become available as editing options in PL6, very slick.

1 Like

or that!!!