Lens Sharpness and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

In PhotoLab 4.0.0 Lens Sharpness does not seem to work at all for any CR2/DNG photos taken by my Canon 5D Mark II camera.

I can adjust Lens Sharpness to the max or turn it off and the image does not change.

The UnSharp mask works as expected however and Lens Sharpness works for CR2/DNGS taken by my 5D Mark III camera.

Edit: It’s not the 5D Mark II camera, it’s the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens I had on the camera at the time.

Hello @JohnZeman,

can you provide us an image so we can see if we reproduce it and fix it ?

Regards,
Marie

Another thing I just noticed. When I edit an image that was taken with that same lens and my 5D Mark III camera, Lens Sharpening works as expected. It seems to only be the 5D Mark II / EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM combination that has the problem.

Yes I can do that Marie, where should I send it?
Or can I attach it to a reply here?
Thanks for responding.

It looks like I should be able to attach it to a message so I’ll give that a try now.2009_0627_120728_067.zip (28.1 MB)

Thanks, we’ll have a look to it.

Regards,
MArie

Hello @JohnZeman,

your image is a dng from OP 11 and we don’t apply any optical correction on dng images from PL or OP.
I’m looking if we have any web page about it, I’'ll let you know for more details.

Do you have any trouble with your CR2 images ?

Regards,
Marie

Thank you for looking into this Marie.
Well it’s certainly true that image had been processed by the free version of OpticsPro 11, the program that inspired me to leave Lightroom and switch to PhotoLab a couple years ago.

With the exception of raw images created by my iPhone app, all of my images in DNG format that were created before the year 2020 had been converted from their original CR2 format by various versions of Lightroom over the years.

Back in 2005 when I first started shooting in raw format I was persuaded to use Lightroom to convert all of my images to what I believed at the time, was the universal DNG format. I stayed with DNG until January 1st of this year, since then I’ve gone back to leaving my Canon images in their original CR2 format.

I have not had any problems processing 5D Mark II/CR2 images taken this year with PhotoLab 4. But then to be fair I haven’t been using PhotoLab 4 long enough yet to be 100% sure everything is ok.

Well now that I know the cause of the problem I can work around it by using the unsharp mask and manual lens corrections for those images.

Thank you again for checking this Marie I hope you are having a great day. :slight_smile: