Latest Photolab update freezes

Also frozen after 150MB / 450MB.

I used Firefox to download from my account and it took two retries to get the full exe. My initial attempt stopped at 156MB, the first retry picked up from 156MB and stopped at 312MB, the second retry completed the full 450MB.

No problem downloading using Chromeā€¦Win 10.

Iā€™ve just tried to download the update again after my earlier problem (Latest Photolab update freezes - #16 by SAFC01). Once again it froze and didnā€™t respond to Pause / Resume. After a couple of attempts I cancelled it and tried to download using Edge instead of Chrome - the result was the same, freezing and then reporting a network connection issue. So it would appear the problem is not specific to using the Chrome browser.

Using XFINITY/Comcast Internet in Pennsylvania, no issuesā€¦ Chrome on Windows 10. Downloaded in less than 5 minutes just before 12pm EST (weā€™ve been having some intermittent network issues here so that was pretty quick for us). So maybe problem varies by location or provider?

No problem here Win 10 latest version, Chrome 270mbps a bit over 1.25 min to complete DL and Install.

Iā€™m not seeing any available update. Is this being rolled out sequentially or is it only for certain people?

What version of Photolab are you currently running?

Mark

Well this is embarrassing. I fired up PL4, went to the HELP>ABOUT section to get the version info and was informed that an update is available. Is this how notifications work?
EDIT: The only issue after downloading was to convince Windows Defender that this app was not a threat. I had to exclude two folders during the install process ā€“ which is way more cumbersome that it needs to be.

Same problem here. Windows 10, freezes at around 60MB.

Windows 10 here and used Opera Browser.
Downloaded and installed about 6 hours ago.
No issues

Normally the update announcement pops up automatically when you start the program. Not sure why it did not in your case. But in any case you resolved the issue.

Mark

Pause / Resume doesnā€™t work. You have to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the browser to give up, youā€™ll see a Resume option, then itā€™ll resume.

Out of interest, is this a Windows only issue and I know it works for some guys.

@htran

Win 10 / Firefox 86.0 / download 10.03.2021 / NO problem

1 Like

A trouble-free download is still a problem for me this morning though I did manage to get a full download yesterday after numerous resumes. I am currently on Win10 / Chrome browser. I have also tried it with MS Edge browser and a Chromebook with the same issues. Downloading Affinity Photoā€™s install files (>500mb) present no problems whatsoever. So the problem would not seem to be related to the local OS / browser or ISP.

Still no joy today. Iā€™ve tried several times but each time it gets to around 120/412 MB then freezes.

UPDATE
After following the advice of @terrycym - thanks :+1:) Iā€™ve finally staggered through to a complete download - it took several steps of waiting for the browser to report a network timeout and then Resuming but each time it progressed a bit further.

Are we talking about update 4.2.0 build 4522 ?
Did they improved Selective tone sliders and highlights recovery?

Like others, I have had problems with the download freezing. This was independent of browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge all displayed this). Simply selecting ā€œPauseā€ and then ā€œResumeā€ on the download didnā€™t sort the problem. Hereā€™s what did:

1. From Photolab itself, initiate the download
  2. This stopped at 132MB. At this point, I waited until the (Chrome) download told me ā€œFailed - Network errorā€. THEN, I selected Resume
  3. This carried on for another approx 130MB, so I repeated and repeated until all 417MB downloaded.
  4. This is where you need a trick - if I didnā€™t intervene at this point, the download simply restarted. Itā€™s essential to Cancel the download once the 417MB have arrived.
  5. This left a file called 447136.CRdownload in my Downloads folder. I renamed it to 447136.EXE and then executed it. It installed 4.2.0 build 4522 OK.

Maybe this will help someone who needs the latest version.

Cheers,

Steve

The above suggestion from Steve worked well for me, thanks, although I didnā€™t need steps 4 and 5, the file opened as downloaded. I used Chrome and Edge simultaneously and Edge won out as the first complete download.

Regards

Martin

Hello,
We are opening a support ticket with CDN and we have some news from CDN77:
According to our network team, it seems like a last-mile issue that is caused by the BT, we continue the investigation with the possibility that the issue also might be connected with IPv6 resolving.

We have direct peering with British Communications, so unfortunately the issue seems to be caused on the last mile.
Also, we will update you as soon as we will have some further information

Best regards,
HT