Lack of DNG support needs to be adressed

I 100% agree.

I have created a(nother) feature request to try and force DxO into bowing to popular demand and provide what most people agree should be a very simple function to introduce.

The Feature Request can be found here: Allow ALL linear DNG files to be opened and edited in the same was as JPG and TIF files

3 Likes

I 100 % support!

I have voted and suggest all others who agree on this to do the same! Thank you for your initiative Keith.

2 Likes

I have allready raised it with Dxo Tech sUpport (see responce in this thread) as have others. The answer was basically “not intrested”

1 Like

Dont foget this is the firm that busted itself with the one phone so forwarded sensible planning wasn’t pressent then or I fear now either.

A DNG file holds a raw file and other meta data. The meta data can include edit info etc. if the original raw file is from a camera that is not supported by PL then PL can’t open it.
Why would you think embedding that unopenable raw file in a DNG would suddenly make it readable?
If the original raw was converted in some way to make it readable then it would no longer be a raw.

Because every other app that supports DNG can open it. IT is not an “unopenable” RAW file it is just that DXO chooses not to open it if it is not in the list.of cameras supported.

1 Like

Exactly those of us, I suspect most PL users, are forced process phone DNG in other programs. Highly processable just blocked by DxO.

1 Like

Not just phone users. Virtually all the world’s museums, art galleries, collections etc use DNG. as the archive standard. This means that no matter what camera is used the same file format is used. However it is not just Cameras but scanners as well. There are Billions of old photos, documents, newspapers that have been scanned to DNG. Dxo won’t read any of these.

The “Standard” program for scanning is Vu Scan ) it is the one that Nikon recommends for their slide scanners) and is in effect the universal Scan program that works with virtually all scanners.

No, it is not practical for all the worlds museums, art galleries, collections etc to convert the billions of DNG images to another format. It just means that Dxo is excluded from a huge global market.

2 Likes

Strange that strategy, as PhotoLab seems to be exactly the sort of software those mostly pedantic, systematic and nostalgic museum curators would like. I mean that in a good way. PhotoLab is still a relatively pure image processing tool, which does one job very well in a highly structured interface which lends itself to systematic work.

2 Likes

Perhaps then the worlds museums could approach DxO with such a request if they have the desperate need of getting into DxO software suites.

I’m sorry if I sound harsh but repeating the museum customer base time after time and time again - is more tiresome then the actual lack of the support the repetitiveness calls for in the first place. :smiley:

1 Like

a decent museum needs the whole setup , that is delivered by the likes of https://heritage-digitaltransitions.com/ not by some raw converter vendor…

1 Like

Why? They have other solutions. It is just a huge market Dxo Is turning its back on.
I haven’t updated Dxo in several versions because of the lack of DNG support and will eventually stop using Dxo

1 Like

You have to ask them about their business decisions. :slight_smile:

That is why this, and several other similar threads, exist. So that Dxo can see what the users think.

2 Likes

And ignore I fear to there and our cost

1 Like

So it seems.
A pity

1 Like

If someone wants or needs DNG support, Adobe is waiting and available for them. DxO opens everything that comes out of my camera(s) just fine. Adobe can do whatever they like. I won’t be there for whatever that is and will spend time taking pictures.

With certainty, I will not be thinking about what file formats Adobe decides to use in their applications. Thats the reason I went with DxO in the first place. RAW > DxO > JPEG

1 Like

I fear its that attitude shared it appears by DxO, that has helped the apparent poor level of updating and new purchases that in turn led to the rather desperate new sales promotion. Many DxO users have already fallowed your logic and moved to other programs that do support both there RAW from cameras and DNG from phones (and other devices). I accept this isn’t the only problem existing, version 7 was an update that many found of little use that was delivered ill finished and with expensive ransom payment to use a significant part of the update.
But a major long running refusal to accept most users of cameras also use phones pushes a lot into giving up and fallowing the route you say, move programs. I fear that untimely will be to the loss of DxO and those using its programs as the user base haemorrhage’s away. The big advantages of noise treatment provided by DxO is much reduced. Attempting to create a version of Light room is a twin edged sward DxO will never have the resources of Adobe, DxO strength was in RAW conversion, adding the ability to process jpegs latter. Years of adding 64bit additions to what appears to be a core 32 bit program’s is effecting performance. Adobe when it found its product was so effected it performance was poor rewrote it totally, DxO probably doesn’t have the resources for that and should have gradually updated parts of the core programs rather than adding all marketing extras each year. It’s a long list endlessly dealt with here and on other forums, but all it takes is something as requested for so long by so many DNG support as jpeg is already to be ignored and yet more jump ship as you sujest and leave a dwindling band to an uncertain future. One I fear as I have seen DxO go bust before and don’t see how they could repeat it again and survive and I have a lot of work invested in their product over those years. But fear the general refusal to listen to the requests and advice of users (and I would say BETA testers) could be repeated again.

1 Like

It’s not phones that is the problem as much as not supporting the DNG from VueScan. The most popular front end for scanners. Nikon recommend it for all their slide and negative scanners. This means there are billions of images scanned by VueScan into DNG that are unreadable in Dxo As I mentioned most museums, galleries and collections have billions of images scanned to DNG that Dxo can’t read.

I am on Photo Lab V 5 and not going to do any more upgrades (I started with it before it was called PhotoLab) unless DNG is properly supported as it has been in Lightroom for a very long time.

Museums have no interest in DxO at all … even if it will support DNG properly

As noted DxO offers nothing of value for the client like them ( no integrated solutions where raw converter is just one cog in a well oiled wheel ) - look again and what some players in the space are offering = Capture One CH – Imaging Software for Cultural Heritage | DT Heritage in addition to the hardware

Scanners ? so you have linear DNG output which is full color and not noisy ( scanner brings it’s own light ) … who cares about DxO demosaick, AI / ML NR and optics correction there ? does DxO offers at least a normal scanner oriented targets processing for custom profiling ? hell no …