Keyword recovery or transfer

Thank you! Off to the keyword mines!

It does. In windows. I’m using it all the time and I can read them in pl.
Pl doesn’t write in iptc.

George

This seems to be so, but DPL reads keywords that are added in .xmp sidecars: Lightroom’s keyword tool adds keywords to .xmp files, just not to its IPTC part.

Metadata interchange? See you in the future (maybe)…

Again. Pl reads keywords added to a raw in the iptc section. In windows.

George

So, if I send you a RAW file, you’re saying that PL for Windows will read the IPTC keywords without an XMP sidecar file?

Yes.
When hey are added to the raw file off course.

George

File sent by direct message.

Now I’m curious…in the last days I’ve read a lot about EXIF, IPTC, XMP, Keywords and Categories and took a look inside the forum threads.
After all I thought that it isn’t possible to write into the RAW file and you have to use XMP files.
Did anybody have a good link where alle the stuff is explained in one article to share them with all members.
Still a question for me is which EXIF Data is standard and will be possible to read by let’s say 90 percent of the software programs.
At the moment I use LR to categorize my photos, creating XMP files with LR and started to integrate XNView with newer photos. I exported the category list from LR, imported in XNView and started to test the workflow to modify and create also with XNView to cut off LR in the nearer future.
For the moment it works like this

Thanks in advance

Guenter

Standards are fairly elastic and applications have their own interpretations. I see that different applications present different informations under their an “EXIF” title. Some apps act on exif tags, others don’t. One example of a limited interpretation of exif tags in DPL is the “Orientation” tag. While Lightroom acts on all tag values, DPL does not - it cannot flip an image :frowning: