Keep advanced history permanently (PL 4)

i may be late to the party but keeping all history permanently would be slowing down the application loading this constant in the cache.
What would be a nice option is a possibility to save history on a image or image’s as in master and vc’s.
say a few slots to do so. 10 slots or 20?
i think it’s in the base nothing more then a textfile so it could be stored as that.
We have now a VC to “freeze” a point. the savepoint version. (I would like to have renaming suffix /subnaming/ adding memo functionality so i can type a comment like “prepped for w&B” or “base work done” or “need sky enhancement”
Those would work for most people as “history” safepoints.
At this moment we can’t tag a comment on images.

And for those who use the history of a image to pick side branches/tracks for creative journeys well if we can “lock” and store a historypath of an image you can follow that thought and think of a feature to “lock” a image for unwanted changes.
Which would be a new interesting feature " open/lock developement" (locking a folder and image(s) as “read only” would be a great safety feature.

me i use history often to check preset state and naming: which i used and in which order. So for me only a row of those preset names are stored and displayed after close and restart would be enough for me.
(and a “memo” area to write my reminders )

Hi, did I miss something or is the permanent history still not yet implemented in the windows PL5-version? I am used to correct my photos sometimes along a couple of days and everytime I restart PL the previous correction-steps are lost in the history and I do not have a chance to go one or two steps back.

What is so difficult about that feature?

It has not been implemented yet and it is unclear when, or if, it will be implemented. Even though this feature is included in the Mac version, adding it to the Windows version proved to be far more difficult.

Mark

H’mm. Sorry, but I find that a bit hard to believe. It is all there in the advanced history for that session. What is wrong with saving that to the DOP file, which is where it should be and then saving it to the database for DxO’s normal housekeeping. On a new session. It should then be read from the DOP file and not the database, especially as some people regularly delete the database.

You may find that hard to believe, but I was told this in a private message from a contact on the DxO development team who had no reason to give me false information.

100% agree!!!
I would love the history to be stored permanently. Sometimes I edit series of images over a few days. And sometimes I come back to revisit an image and I want to be able to “click back” and see the different stages of edits as I worked on the image.

Also sometimes I feel “this image used to look better, did I have it selected at some point when I made changes to other groups of pictures?” However if that happened on a different session I have no way to know.

This is already implemented on Mac. I have no idea why it’s so hard to implement on windows.

Exactly, that’s also my problem!

As previously already mentioned, saving the current history in the corresponding DOP-file would be the best way. I am also used to re-initiate my database from time to time to get it leaner (btw: would it be a nice additonal feature to add “clean database”? Deleting all links to non-existing files / pathes?)

And while we’re on the subject of wishing: It would be really charming if individual positions could be deleted from the history and not only sequentially the last steps.

DXO-Team, please think about implementing that (at least the “saving history” part…) as this is fmho a crucial part of a photo processing software. Thanks!

I, for one, definitely do not support the suggestion of “bloating” the sidecar/.dop file with history data.

John M

2 Likes

Here is a record of my trying to adjust only the fine contrast and selective tonality of an image…

Note that I started off adjusting fine contrast, then moved to selective tonality, then back to fine contrast because selective tonality changed how the initial adjustments worked, etc, etc.

Do folks really think it would be a good idea to store all those minute changes, caused by using the stepper controls instead of moving the sliders, along with several hundred more from all the other different adjustments one might make in a similar way?

And then there’s the question of how many people can truly remember exactly which step to go back to after not having touched that image for a week or so, or even after editing another 50 images.

Since it matters not a jot the order in which I applied the adjustments, I don’t get why on earth anyone would want save all those minute changes before arriving at an end result, just to lose all the changes made after the point in history you would go back to, instead of simply directly setting the relevant adjustment.

Then there’s the issue of creating potentially enormous DOP files that will remain long after you are satisfied with a final version of an image.

If the order of adjustments made to particular tools affected the end result, then yes, I can see a reason but, otherwise, it just seems like a sort of hoarding instinct, where someone doesn’t want to lose a single second from their previous life and has to carry around an ever growing folder of notes on everything they ever did, in the hope that they can go back in their life and “restart” in a vain attempt that not picking their nose on Sunday 11th April might stop them getting backache tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes

Question is also: By copying and pasting settings from one to the other image, is the log also adding to the log of the newly changed image?

It would be helpful (the log) if it would just store the final values. The information how often I adjusted the same parameter doesn’t appear to be a useful one, no?

2 Likes

I don’t see how recording history would be a crucial part of photo processing software such as PhotoLab!
That this helps is obvious. But that this is essential to process a photo seems to me totally exaggerated. Do the photos I processed with DxO OP or PL years ago need to be reprocessed now that the history has been added?
DxO probably has other urgent matters to deal with rather than cluttering the .dop files with irrelevant data (for me and probably many other users).

2 Likes

Now there you have raised an interesting question.

So, I took the image with that list of adjustments and made a virtual copy. Then I reset it and deleted the history. Finally, I copy the adjustments from the master and pasted them into the VC. Here is what the history for the VC then shows…

Capture d’écran 2022-06-09 à 11.17.37

Which then raises the question why not just retain this “summary”? The answer I find myself giving is that everything in there is already part of the DOP.

Nope, I’m sorry Mark (and others) no matter which way I look at it, it seems a lot harder to have to try and keep mental track of where I got to in the history and then work out what I am going to lose if I go back to far, instead of just simply changing an adjustment.

Sorry, as a non native English speaker I may have chosen the wrong word here. And yes, you are right, that there are more important function to process a photo. But, as you also wrote, it obviously helps.

I would like to understand why and how (.dop-files, database, …?) this feature has been implemented to the mac version. Any mac-User who can share his experiences?

This is a fault with what DXO considers one change. Even if you drag some sliders with the mouse you get dozens of entries to the history. The history then basically becomes an indication of how fast your computer is.

In my mind, dragging a slider, or repeatedly clicking a control to change an adjustment is one change and deserves one history entry. This should also be fixed.

And for people worried about bloated files, aren’t your raw files like many many megabytes? And you’re worried about a few extra kilobytes in the DOP? Okay.

Oh. This one is easy. You can just click an entry in the history and see what the image looked like. Click a few points in the history and see very easily how the image progressed from import to the final edit. And stop anywhere along the way.

It sounds like what you want is the ability to delete an earlier adjustment without removing the adjustments that were made after it. That can’t be done with the standard Undo stack used by DxO for Advanced History.

Mark

Also, lets say that you have made several minor adjustments to the HLS tool adjusting blue for example and you had previously adjusted a green value. Now, the next day you revisit the photo and want to refresh your memory of the various blue values to see if one looks better or not or what to adjust next. Simply turning off the HLS tool will not work as you will then lose the green value. Yes, you could readjust the blue value but you are then starting all over again. Whereas, with the History, you can back step and see what you did.

But what happens if you then adjust say the red or the green again, then going back to a previous green will undo all changes right back to there, so you will have lost those red and second green values.

Yes, that can be a problem but in all the years that I used Lightroom’s History, it was never a major concern. If it is, then I would create a VC.
This is something that people are asking for in Lightroom - to be able to make selective edits in the History.

Sorry for the delay in replying to you @John and to you @Joanna. You’re complaining that you could have bloated DOP files. If Windows version was to keep the advanced history. My DOP file does not get bloated, as you say. A small example of how I work. Initial opening file. The advance history. The first entry. The applied default preset and for arguments sake I click on the exposure and start adjusting. I can then have any number of entries in the advanced history as I adjust exposure. Now when I’m satisfied that I have the exposure correct. I then look across to see the last value that has been given to the exposure. For argument sake 2.50. I then come back to the applied default preset and click on it, which in this sample case brings me back to the start. I then click again on the exposure and enter the last entry, which in this sample case is 2.50. This means you only have 3 entries instead of numerous entries. I hope that makes sense. I can then go onto the next setting that I want to adjust and repeat the same thing. This keeps the advance history to a minimum.
Yes, it may take a little longer to complete the adjustments, but for me I’m never in a hurry to edit my pictures.

This really shouldn’t be necessary. Seriously.
History could be encoded with as little as a few bytes per step. 250 steps could be stored in one kilobyte… This is easy stuff.
Your DOP files are already 8-10kb… If they become 10-12kb because they have 500 steps of history, you would probably never notice unless you like to analyze your DOP files in a text editor… And if you CARE that your files are a few kb larger, then you’re really worried about the wrong things… (And no, I’m not saying your files should, could, or would have 500 steps.)