Is this Nik Causing this? SelectiveToolApp.exe - Application Error

I have a friend who is a wedding photog and uses Nik in her workflow occasionally. Of recent (ish) she’s been getting a blue error (not a BSOD) screen that states:

“NVOGLDC invisible
This App is preventing shutdown”

It then lists:

“SelectiveToolApp.exe - Application Error” and lots of references to memory locations, etc.

In desperation she ahs asked me to take a look - traditionally I’m a hardware engineer but IME errors like this are so vague as to be unhelpful. However, I went hunting through the event and error logs for a reference to the ‘SlectiveTooolApp’ and the only mentions I can find, which also coincide when she gets this error show this:

Application Error Faulting application name: SelectiveToolApp.exe, version: 5.0.3.51, time stamp: 0x5ece84ca
Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll, version: 5.13.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d01df04
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001f2401
Faulting process id: 0x4014
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72b1d564a3782
Faulting application path: **C:\ProgramData\DxO\Selective Palette\resource\qtlibs\SelectiveToolApp.exe**
Faulting module path: C:\ProgramData\DxO\Selective Palette\resource\qtlibs\Qt5Core.dll
Report Id: c11efc05-16f9-4a83-8ee4-80a2bc0eb2f0
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So, it appears DxO Nik is causing the issue, but is there a fix please? Is it as simple as an uninstall/reinstall approach or do we need to clear down registry entries, etc…?

She’s running, version: 5.0.3.51 x64 (v3.0.7) which, as far as I can tell, is not the latest version. So is it a matter of suck and see and upgrade to the latest?

Anybody able to help with this?

@CaptainPO @Jules - apologies for the tags but am looking to get assistance for my friends laptop. I can’t log a ticket as I don’t know her details.

Does it work without this Selective Tool?
Wolfgang

As I have no idea what the .exe is, then I have no idea.

@stubbyd

Please check here Workflow with Adobe Photoshop for instructions.

• The 1st link ‘Accessing the Nik Collection’ describes the standard method, where & how to open
    → Nik Collection → (submenu) e.g. Color Efex
    If Nik is installed properly, one should have access without problem.

• The second link ‘Selective Tool 2 and Brush tool’ describes the revised Tool and how to …
    It’s said to give a more direct / comfortable access to specific Filters. But unfortunately there are quite regulary problems with this tool, due to installation or a PS version with bugs.
    [As Selective Tool 2 is not supported by my old PS, after installing Nik Collection 3.3, I had to ‘revive’ the former Selective Tool, but then personally I don’t think it’s worth to use the Selective tool at all – prefer the standard method.]

To find out if the updated version of Nik Collection does not report errors, your friend has to try it.
Don’t forget to save recipes et al, in case she has to uninstall her version before the trial.

Please check here https://download-center.dxo.com/Support/docs/Nik_Collection3/current_release_note/Release_Notes_NikCollection3_byDxO_en.pdf for more information.

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang - I shall pass that along to my friend.