Is there a way to process raw and jpeg at the same time?

Hi,
In some cases I take pictures in raw + jpeg. When I select my photos I wish could display only the raw to be able to tag (and / or delete) the photos in one step (in the same way as in Nikon viewNx).
Does this feature exist in PL3?

1 Like

No, this feature do not exist.
Culling is not the task of PL.
Pascal

1 Like

@Pieloe thanks
I just found this topic

I hope this feature will come. For me it’s very useful for the select process.

Sounds interesting.
It is a typical DAM feature wile DxO PL is mostly a great rawprocessor.
Linking identical filenames and delete move tag them can be a logical feature in the future.
Maybe create a featurerequest?

I cull in windows explorer:
create a folder in side te raw folder called OOCjpegs
look for oocjpegs which have no raw sibbling (panoramastitches of camera for instance)
set those apart in a folder temp and then select remaining oocjpeg(sort on type) and move them in the OOCjpegs folder. move the panaoramastitches back in de rawfolder.
This way i only have jpegs in the folder which are needed. (no rawfile)

i mostly use the oocjpegs only for quick view on tv, i give up my thought of a good oocjpeg don’t need a raw processed. :woozy_face:
so the ooc jpegsfolder are the double’s of raw and can be deleted after processing rawfiles

Probably a quicker way but it works al the time. :grinning:

FastRawViewer costs $14.99 and is cross-platform. FRV handles jpeg and RAW together perfectly. The development team there has a six year head start on DxO in terms of handling culling. Why on earth should DxO devote 80% of their development resources to improved DAM which only about 30% of their users would even touch?

Really, why not do your culling elsewhere as @Pieloe suggests? PhotoLab is the world’s most powerful and efficient RAW developer (ranking: RAWtherapee may be as powerful but it’s much less efficient; C1 may be nearly as efficient but is not as powerful as the noise reduction if fairly awful). PhotoLab is also about the slowest and least effective DAM/triage system on earth.

5 Likes

Lets face it, the Photo Library really isn’t a DAM, At best its a slow and functionally limited file manager/viewer with very limited search criteria. I primarily use FastRawViewer and FastStone Image Viewer. I like FastStone specifically for its compare feature which allows me to compare up to 4 images simultaneously. I wish they could meld the best features of both into a single product.

Mark

2 Likes

Different publishers. FastStone is Windows only. But we both agree on FastRawViewer as the easiest way to cut through a large folder of new photos and prepare a Selects folder for PhotoLab. If a program can please both Mac and Windows users, the publishers are doing something right (same applies to DxO and PhotoLab of course).

Alec,
are you using a DAM application on top of FRV? If yes, why don’t you cull in the DAM application?

Still using Lightroom as my main DAM and RAW developer I couldn’t believe PL2/3 doesn’t support such a rather basic feature when I’ve tried it for the first time. Currently I’m using FastRawViewer for culling. In PL I set a filter to show just RAW and not RGB files. This works up to certain degree but you have to take care for remaining jpeg files if you delete the corresponding raw file.

Why are you taken raw + JPEG photos ?
PhotoLab is a software for raw photos !

Pascal

2 Likes

@viswiz If I may add, every RAW file contains a full-size jpeg. why bother filling app your memory card with a duplicate, external, copy?

Some recent raw files embed only a small resolution preview (1.7MP for Sony ARW files). Theoretically you could re-create the jpeg out of the raw file with the manufacturer’s software, but that’s often not a 100% representation of in-camera processing. When you assess correct focus the small preview is not very good for culling, and FRV raw preview doesn’t get sharpened by default, so that poses a problem which can be solved by shooting raw+jpeg.

Yes, PhotoLab is a RAW development tool as Lightroom and many others are. I’m shooting RAW and JPEG for several different reasons.

• Sometimes just the out of camera JPEG is sufficient and I quickly need that image without further processing.
  • Up to a certain degree it’s a fallback mechanism. If the RAW gets corrupted I still have the JPEG.
  • All RAW files I know contain JPEG previews, but as far as I know they don’t have to be full size.
  • I’m used to have both files more many years now. So it’s more a matter of habit or personal preference.
2 Likes