Is DxO PhotoLab 3 compatible with "Luminar 4"

Is it possible in PhotoLab 3 to send an image off to Luminar 4, perhaps to add an AI effect, and then have the image returned to PhotoLab 3?

Similar, while in Luminar 4, I can send a photo to one of the Adobe applications… can I also send it to PhotoLab 3?

Since I haven’t found a way to do any of this, I suspect that it’s not yet available. For doing most of my photography work, I’m not sure I’d ever want to do it anyway, but if I’m creating a “photo illustration”, Luminar has AI effects that would take a huge amount of time to do manually.

1 Like

It’s possible …
Use the button “export to application” on right bottom of DXO … :

Then, a window is oppened to have option to shoose the application …

But, not possible to come back to PL3 with your picture, you must save it and after, re-oppening on PL3…

Ludo.

1 Like

And you start with a new image. You don’t have access to the older edits.

George

1 Like

As others say, you can develop and export to Luminar and if you let Luminair export to the folder where the original (example.tiff ) came from as example_LUMv4.tiff you will be able to go further on the new tiff before you export to disk as Jpeg. DxO NIK does the same only that is a override akai update. (it creates a temp Tiff in the original folder and sends the tiff to nik when returns it overrides that tiff.)

A few changes in how I’m doing things. I used to develop with Lightroom, but I am consistently getting better results doing so in PhotoLab. I used to keep all the Lightroom image gallery under one main heading on my computer -Lightroom- and I have always been careful to only work in that folder with Lightroom.

I was going to share the folder between Lightroom and PhotoLab, but that got way too confusing, so I created another main folder -PhotoLab- for many of my new images. I use PhotoMechanic to sort out images from my memory cards, and I used to import them into Lightroom. For use with PhotoLab, I copy the images into a new folder someplace under -PhotoLab-, using a file structure similar to what I’ve done for Lightroom. That way things are organized, and I can find my image a year from now, after I’ve long forgotten what I stored where.

This also has me thinking that instead of relying on the Lightroom catalog, I should use the process that creates sidecar files in the Lightroom folders, with all the editing changes I have made. I need to learn how to do that.

Because I also want to work with photos in Luminar, I decided to create a main folder -Luminar- and put photos there which will be primarily edited in Luminar. Peter, I think that will allow me to more easily do what you described, using tiff files, and only when everything is finished, export as JPG images to my folder for completed images ready to email or post online.

I am having second thoughts about all of this. It comes down to "how much editing am I allowed to do, before my “photograph” becomes a “photo illustration”. With Lightroom and PhotoLab, I try to create the image that I was thinking I saw when I took the photo. That definition no longer is adequate, as PhotoLab especially is great at bringing out things in a photo that I did NOT see in the original. Since I’m shooting in ‘raw’ whenever possible, there is a lot of work I can do on an image before I start to think I’ve gone “too far”. BUT… with Luminar, to be honest, when I’m all finished, I no longer even have a “photograph”. I have artwork based on my photograph. To be honest, I need to find a way to mark those images somehow, maybe with a watermark, so nobody ever thinks I’m trying to fool people.

I don’t have an answer - the best answer so far is to create a unique “watermark”. I wish PL3 could do this, but it can’t. I know LR can do it, so I guess starting this week, I’ll have two watermarks available in LR. I also should look around for software that only does one thing - watermarks - and make that my standard for finishing images. I’ll have one watermark for LR and PL3 photos, and another for Luminar photo illustrations. (Anyone know a shorter word to imply a photo illustration?). For that matter, does anyone here know of a good program that is specifically designed for watermarks?

…added later - how do I use the “underscore” character, so if I put an underscore in my folder name, and type that folder name in this forum, the software here will show it that way? The forum software changes the whole word, making it italic or bold. So when I wrote -Lightroom- up above, the hyphen is really supposed to be an “underscore”, but I can’t find a way to get it to show up accurately.

I don’t know if i understand you correctly.
When i export a 16bit tiff adobe rgb out dxo ( this is as close as it gets from rawfile data), it’s get treated with prime and optical module and al of your other corrections/adjustments.
You get a corrected “negative”, only difference with a linear DNG is that it has a applied WB wile DNG have a floating WB. ( linear DNG is a tiff in a container wich allows you to add icc profiles and such with it.)

That said, my thought for you is.
You can create preset for export yourself so:
1 create a export tiff set up in adobe rgb and 16bit with a suffix “dxo original”
This is for general use to luminair or LR or what ever.
2 create a same tiff kind with suffix LR and lumv4 preset in export to disk.
Point those to your work folder of choise by default for the chosen application.( no lost tiffs in wrong folders…)
(then you can treat them as “temp files” because you can deliver a negative at any time in dxo.)
If luminair is abel to export in tiff 16bit adobergb the loss isn’t that big because jpeg is 8bit.( so return to finishing folder in dxo is possible.)
Tiffs are rather big so don’t “store” to much of those use dxo as “negative” deliveryunit.
(so you can treat a dxo raw file for something by creating a VC for luminair and an other VC for LR.( when you rename those it gets automated in the tiff filename.
And the tiff suffix is point to the application it would be exported for.

And yes by using xmp sidecars you can use dxo to write it in the tiffs iptc/metadata.

And why i use adobergb is to keep as wide colorspace as possible.(srgb is jpeg area)

Thanks again. I don’t fully understand what you’ve told me, but I think I know enough to not get myself into too much trouble.

The weakest point in my procedures, is that no matter which editor I use, since I want to add my watermark, the final step in editing is always Lightroom, if for now other reason than to add the watermark. I started to look around for a different program to add my watermarks, but didn’t come up with a good answer.

In the same way that I can send a file to Nik Collection, and after editing, it is returned to PL3, maybe eventually there will be a way to export the finished image with a watermark applied - as LR does.

In the meantime though, I have a process that isn’t too bad. I do the editing in PL3, then send to LR, then export.

(I’m not likely to be doing very much with Luminar 4, as I prefer to create photographs, not photo illustrations.)

First of all I want to say it’s not a matter of being compatible but more a question if Luminar 4 can be opened from the command line with a file parameter. The ‘export to/open with’ commands just send a text file to the command line containing the path and name of the program and the path and name of the file. I even can send it to OpenOffice.

Maybe a plugin mentioned by Patrick might be of a help.

You start from within LR and call PL. Your open a raw file from LR in PL. From PL you export it to LR as a jpg/tiff or what else. Now you have the exported file registered in LR in a specific way and you can call Luminar or which one you need. LR is functioning as a command center.
I don’t have LR so I didn’t try it but understanding from the reading it works like that.

George

I do this. I process NEF in DxO Photolab and then I export 16-Bit Tiff to a folder that is set up for Luminar 4. I edit the TIFF in Luminar 4. When I’m done I export 16-bit uncompressed TIFF back to original folder in Photolab.