Is DxO dev team working with Apple Silicon yet?

Until we get to test PL on the ARM Mac that should be released by the end of this year, we cannot give any answer to this.

1 Like

Until we get to test PL on the ARM Mac that should be released by the end of this year, we cannot give any answer to this.

Are you aware of this program? The cost is $500 and is now open for application since June 22.
Apple Universal App Quick Start Program

1 Like

Hi @Chayuth,
What Lucas meant was that we do not make any official statement until the first ARM products will be officially available on the market. As you can guess, we already have our DTK, but they are not commercial products, they are just “test benches” for developers. Therefore, we’ll not release any comment about PL’s performances, compatibility or eventual issues found on those transition kits.
So far, there are zero ARM Apple products available to consumers :wink:

Steven.

1 Like

And also you signed an NDA :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I would suggest you have an FAQ like this for Mac users because it will be major decision factor for potential customers who own the new Mac. Maybe not now but after Apple actually sell these. After all if one already bought a Mac you won’t be telling them not to buy it because various reasons.

Q: Will DxO run on Apple Silicon Macs?
A: (depends on whether or not DxO already support the platform)

• Yes, DxO run fine on Apple Silicon.
    Or
  • No, DxO currently cannot be used on Apple Silicon but we are working on it. Version (X.XX) will support Apple Silicon and will be released on (DDMMYY).
3 Likes

Thank you for the response. At least I’m glad to DxO has access to this tool and is working on it. Because as I read the discussion so far you don’t give the value of this new platform and leave (may be niche) customer like me unusable.

Actually, if you said just this, it will be answer for me. No need to argue or cite how bad or unfinished other companies offer for the new platform because it would backfire: at least I can use those softwares without a day absent or crash and they have clear roadmap. Also telling customer to not buy a new hardware because you are not will to support those is not looks professional for commercial software company.

I don’t believe that saying whether or not one’s software will support Apple Silicon, or that you have access to this program, will break the NDA. I’m not asking you to share technical detail

Hi Steven! Apple ARM Macs are available to the public --> hint! --> now you can talk! what are DXO plans for the upcoming months concerning this topic?

thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Yes, I believe it is time for some sort of guidance from DxO either they will support or will not, and if so, what sort of time frame. Affinity Photo has already announced optimized products for the M1. Adobe has announced Lightroom native support by December and Photoshop in early 2021.

1 Like

You got the guidance above from Lucas - he is DXO staff.

Yes, but the guidance was clearly indicating that because there were at that time no commercial ARM Macs available, he wouldn’t share more details.
Now that commercial ARM Macs are available, we would be happy to get some more details about DxO plans… :wink:

Personally, considering the obvious lack of interest DxO demonstrated recently regarding anything Apple-related (starting with iPhones support or HEIC support, for instance), and also the lack of high-level roadmap sharing (ProRAW, iPad, Apple Silicon, you-name-it), I will no longer upgrade my DxO PL3 until I am reassured about what the future holds for DxO.

Can you point me to Capture One’s roadmap for all these things?
Affinity Photo’s roadmap for all these things?
ON1’s roadmap for these things?
Luminar’s roadmap for these things?
Adobe’s roadmap for all these things, except saying they will support M1 in Lightroom in December and Photoshop in Q1 2021… and knowing Adobe they will be riddled with bugs at the beginning.

But I do agree that some roadmap for professional software is always a good thing, although people then take the roadmap for absolute truth and start raging when features are delayed. So it is a bit of a double-edged sword.

Apple said it would be a 2-year transition. So don’t expect wonders. I would say it is reasonable to expect support in PhotoLab 5 for some of these things e.g. Apple Silicon native support (it likely works fine under emulation and emulation seems to be faster then native x86 performance for many apps).

Also… this world doesn’t revolve about Apple and immediately supporting every new shiny thing they introduce right at launch.

2 Likes

Again, complaining against other software, Apple, or users, would be backfire.

Capture One is working on it and does not complain about being low budget company or blaming user for being early bird or anything. Here is their response for this topic:

Affinity Photo already support M1 chip Macs as of today.

ON1 dedicated to ensure all 2021 software supported M1 chip.
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052575451-New-Apple-Mac-Hardware-Compatibility-M1

Luminar also providing that they are working on M1 chip and should be support as of version 4.

Adobe already support no matter it has bug or not. When I complain Adobe they don’t complain that DXO has bugs.

All in all, please take a look how other professional softwares response to this issue. The best they did are to support from day 1. Those who don’t support answered their customer that they are working on that and provide estimated timeframe or version that will support. Or at least they said they are working on it.

But all of them do not blame Apple for releasing new hardware or customers for wanting to use new hardware. They did not complain that Adobe has load of bugs or that they are small company that can’t afford this and that. They just answer that they’re working on it, period. What is so hard to response to customer like that?

2 Likes

Who is blaming Apple? I don’t work for DxO by the way in case that is not clear.

I am just saying that things take time. DxO has also said they would support M1, so there response isn’t different from any of those other companies.

I remember you saying that DxO should support M1 on day one. Turns out a billion dollar company called Adobe didn’t manage to support it on day 1. With NONE of their products.

All I am trying to do is manage very unrealistic expectations. Apple said the transition will take 2-years. So between last week and 11-2022, more and more software will be available that supports the Apple silicon in all its glory. Just be patient… if you find this problematic then simply don’t be an early adopter. There is a reason why Apple is still selling the high-end configuration of the 13" MacBook Pro with Intel chips… it is for professional users who cannot switch from Intel right now.

So once more… working professional / professional workflow = don’t be an early adopter. It. Really. Is. That. Simple. Both for software and hardware (e.g. buying new camera before it is supported by software).

1 Like

None of them explicitly says if they will have native M1 code or just ensure compatibility using Rosetta2.

I think Affinity Photo runs natively since their executable from the App Store just increased in size by roughly 1GB and the lipo tool shows it is having fat binaries with ARM64 and x86 architectures.

No new Mac planned here in the next four years, so I will lean back and watch. :wink:

1 Like

Chayuth replied already on the different other software you listed. And in any case, whether or not they shared a roadmap or already support M1, they at least replied to their customers that they are working on it or provided guidance with regards to what to expect.

Besides, you mention (twice) that we’re requesting support for “very new shiny thing Apple introduce”. Well, not really.
DxO doesn’t support iPhones of that past THREE years. Doesn’t look like “early adoption” to me. HEIC is also not something brand new. Same for iPad too, it’s been there for years, improving every year and slowly but surely becoming the main “computer” for a lot of people. Maybe I missed it, but to my knowledge DxO never really said whether or not they were considering an iPad version. It always looks like a “yes and no” answer.
Apple Silicon is just the next thing in line. Again, the lack of interest demonstrated by DxO month after month doesn’t bring optimism.

2 Likes

As someone whose current Mac can’t upgrade past Mojave (without hacking at least), I’m just as interested in whether DxO will continue to only support the 2-3 most recent macOS releases even during the ARM transition, or if they’ll cut Intel users a bit more slack.

If not, then more and more of us might be pushed into choosing between an ARM Mac that PL doesn’t yet officially support (or maybe only through Rosetta), an Intel Mac that’s going to be obsolete sooner or later (it was sooner in the case of my PowerPC Macs during that transition), or jumping off the PL upgrade train altogether.

I am happy that I can work on 27inch screen. Are you sure you want to edit files on an ipdad??? That sounds like hell, thunderstorm and nightmare at the same time.

1 Like

Lucky you :slightly_smiling_face:
But I’ve been editing for years on a 13,3" MacBook Pro and that suits me perfectly well. Therefore I don’t see why doing the same on a 12,9" iPad would be an issue.
As an amateur+, I rarely print my pictures larger than A4 format. Therefore seeing them on a bigger screen than this is probably pleasing to the eyes, but close to useless for me.

I also rarely print but an ipad screen would be a just too much for me. I am thinking about getting a cheap second screen to just get rid of the palettes on the main screen.

I remember you saying that DxO should support M1 on day one.

Well, again, I did not say to be natively support as I stated later in this thread. I just asked whether or not it can be opened at all. DXO can just update FAQ and said like Q: macOS Big Sur and M1 support? A: Not natively but you can run. We are working to ensure native support on PL5 blablabla. Or something like that. This is more than enough than lengthy explanation about software development process and priority or company size or lecture user what buying decision step they should follow.

Or just reply: yes, but not natively by the way. … is more than enough.

It’s that simple.

So once more… working professional / professional workflow = don’t be an early adopter. It. Really. Is. That. Simple. Both for software and hardware (e.g. buying new camera before it is supported by software).

Regarding this, one may not find their position to easily influence buying decision. For example I work in software company that will replace my 2015 MacBook Pro with M1 chip machine because it just reach turnaround cycle of 5 years. Since my primary workflow has nothing to do with DXO PL so there is no reason that I will or can stop that.

I don’t work as professional photographer. I am just a layperson that happen to like photography. But what I complained about camera not being support is still not invalidated by the fact that I’m not professional or use in professional work. I still paid for this product and I hope to use it. If I’m professional and rely on DXO I would abandoned this software long ago because I can have more reliability and continuous support with Lightroom already. What I like about DXO is that it can remove noise better than any other software and that make me take photo easier because I don’t need to be worried about dark places.

The fact that there are people other than me asking for M1 chip support (natively or not) and other softwares are going toward supporting this (natively or not) means that there is demand for this machine. The whole argument are pointless and waste both your and my time.