Is DxO dev team working with Apple Silicon yet?

I am following this closely myself, and I can say that VirtualBox clearly said not to expect anything ever; Parallels released betas, and VMware said they are working on something.

Basically, the best bet seems to be to just use the native version of DPL. There is nothing better to expect from VM vendors than what Rosetta is doing already.

Hi DXO,

any news on Apple M1 native support, at least some estimation or BETA testing program? Or it will be the in PL5 like other requested features…?

Apple M1 and Apple Pro-Raw please!

1 Like

Hi DXO,@CaptainPO and @StevenL,

please tell the crowd at least something relevant regarding Apple M1 native support. We can bear the truth here, whatever it is :wink: Better to know even the bad news, than know nothing…

4 Likes

Hi DXO,

anybody’s there? We are paying customers so we would like to get and expect some kind of something called customer care. In this case it means some response, comment… anything.

Thanks.

Hi there,
The next major version of PL (v5) should be M1 native. Probably a minor update once the 5.0 hits the market.

Steven.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

After all exchanges and lengthy arguments, this is all I want to hear in the first place.

Actually all explanation and arguing aren’t any necessary at all had staff actually replied like this. The thread will be cut short by a lot.

Looking forward to buying PL5 soon.

2 Likes

Hi,

that’s little bit sad news, but thanks for the information. So we will see during the fall.

Jiri

Hi @StevenL,

any news regarding Apple Silicon full native binary of DXO5?

Thanks.

Jiri

I’ve been editing for half a day and I’m finding the latest release of Photolab (v5.3) with full native Apple Silicon code to be significantly faster to use whilst editing. Images render much more quickly when opened (and zoomed in to 100%). I’m now moving from one image to another without noticing the pause for it to fully render.

Basically, this release has made Photolab a dream to use on a M1 Mac.

Export time seems to be about the same as before, but that had already been optimised for the M1 chips.

This next bit is anecdotal as I never logged the memory useage with previous releases, but now that I’ve been edting with it fo a few hours I’ve realised I’ve not had to restart the app to bring back performance. So my guess is that memory management has improved too?

The same can be said for exporting. Previously if I did an export after editing for a while I found that the export speed was sluggish and after a restart of the app the export performance returned.

I’ve just exported after editing for a while and encountered no such issue.

Thanks DxO team, this is great :slight_smile:

Note: I use a M1 Mac Mini with 8Gb memory and 512Gb SSD, and Nikon Z6ii raw images loading from a 500Gb Samsung T5 external SSD (connected by a USB-C cable).

4 Likes

Thanks for your detailed feedback about the performance boost when working in your typical scenario.
(and thanks for the compliments BTW :smiling_face:)

Steven.

1 Like

I didn’t notice there is a release with full native Apple Silicon codebase available, or I missed any news?

It is PhotoLab 5.3 which was released yesterday.

Mark

Same here, major performance increase in all areas except export/denoising which were already optimised. That’s a big win! Thanks a lot for not making this a paid upgrade in the following version :slight_smile:

1 Like

does this new version take advantage of both sets of ANE core on the M1 Ultra chips?

i definitely like the improved snappiness of the UI when dealing with large numbers of new files in gallery.

@lcubed, this might answer your question:

not sure how that answers my query.
i am inquiring whether both sets of 16 ANE for the M1 Ultra are utilized.

the m1 mini used by CHPhoto has 1 set of 16 ANE.

I believe the point of the way Apple designed the Ultra cpu was that it would be seen by the OS (and apps) as a single cpu, which navigates around the issue of an OS or application needing to be ‘multi-processor’ aware.

So, I’d be surprised if Photolab wasn’t using all 32 ANE on your computer. But I have no means to test that so please don’t take this as a definitive answer! Just trying to think this through logically…

unfortunately, activity monitor provides no information on ANE usage,
so without the dXo telling us, it’s all just speculation.

in my own testing of exporting 23 .rw2 files with DP on my M1 Ultra Studio,
selecting the 64 GPU core option was 93 seconds vs 88 seconds for the ANE option

the GPU option was roughly 5% faster

no idea if the ANE option used 16 or 32 cores.

after some testing as suggested by CHPhoto, it appears that PL5.3 only uses 16 of the available 32 ANE on the M1 Ultra, but it sure takes advantage of the extra GPU’s available!

please multiply the numbers in the last two columns by 100!

1 Like