IRCC rules

And, if their demosaïcing software produces different results from PL5, or ACR, or Affinity Photo, or etc?

But one major problem remains for a shot taken with a high dynamic range (e.g. 14 stops) opening the original RAW in PL5 looks like this…

Using FastRawViewer shows the original JPEG as…

And yet, according to all these “rules”, what I saw…

… would not be admissible.

The only way to cope with such high dynamic range is to expose for the highlights and recover the shadows. This is the same principle that film photographers have used for decades, except they expose for the shadows and recover the highlights in printing.

No. this self-appointed arbiter of truth hasn’t got a clue what it is talking about and we can just hope that the best competitions and photographers don’t get sucked into its moneymaking scam.

3 Likes

Exact Joanna

Si j’avais su :wink:

Gao,
Dans un premier temps, pour voir si la photo a des chances d’être elligible, je fais une rapide estimation de la photo avec le menu Plugins/Analyse/ RGB comme tu le fais…Par contre, je ne divise pas par 255, je calcule l’erreur relative avec ((p-u)/u)*100. Cela me permet de voir si je suis entre 0-14% (Certification A), 14-22 (Certication B), 22-30 (Certication C) au dessus, c’est foutu.

1 Like

I already answered to this: They certainly exist differences between images exported from different RAW editors but overall the difference in the RGB mean values will be marginal or the algorithm producing a too different result is defective. The IRCC also require the presence of the metadata in both the raw and the jpg. Normally metada include the brand and model of the camera, as well as for the RAW the firmware version of the camera and for the exported JPG the name and version of the editor. I don’t know if the IRCC considers these data but it could be a way to balance the specificities of the RAW and of the exported JPG.
About the dynamic range. The IRCC also examins a gray image, they do not explain exactly how they produce this or these gray images and how they use it but, we can guess they are used to grade something related to dynamic range. Nevertheless be realistic: An image canditate for a photojournalism contest must present primary qualities preventing the necessity of heavy processing. If you present the photo you posted above processed as required to see something, the jury of the photo contest will just say “it look like sh*t”. This kind of image may present “forensic” interrest but will never pass any contest.

Merci Mantraya

@Mantraya
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Photojournalism should be framed.
Anyway earing some actual political rethoric about controling what may and may not be said restrain my thoughts about it, due to temporal coincidence. Even more when an opaque, not open source algorythm release from all liability. Should be more transparent and controled (control has to be controled). If not, it is dictatorship.
Anyway I agree in principle for this in journalism domain but not at all how it is done here.
And journalists often shoot jpg (sport for example, or when fast delivery is needed - some high-end cameras allow to send jpg by wifi on web as soon as it is taken), so less a major problem for photojournalism than other I think.

But Mantraya was talking about wildlife exibition !
And here it is art photo. I am not taking about faked, but art not faked photos.
Color, composition, lightning. This is art photo. with very uncontroled models :wink:
When it comes to wildlife, raw shooting is the way. And shadow recovery is often used. And this has nothing to do with faking the image - eyes have a way wider dynamic range than srgb display !
And It’s a common practice to control white balance in post.
Even award winning wildfife photographers do all I talk about.
I understand the need to detect false images so easily achieved nowaydays, even by childs reading 3 tutorials on internet, but can’t agree not letting us use full capacity of our sensors.

Exactly. Back lighting, luminous sky in frame, are good sample of it in wild life.
Very dark animals often need value recovery.
There’s no flash, here (generally) !

@GaoGao Thanks for your explanation, will check with this and see how much upset I am. WIll tell you my upset delta :wink:
But as Mantraya said, it seems value can’t be move very far, and this would prevent from using full capacity of cameras. Even when not cheating.
But we are in the age of control …
Will test and see. And with well exposed imaged of course, not with extreme samples I talked about and showed.

En Français
Je voulais vous rediriger vers le code d’éthique de l’IRCC Manifesto etico - IRCC malheurseument comme beaucoup de documents de l’IRCC il est incomplet.
J’avais un chien noir, je n’ai jamais pu obtenir une photo vraiment correcte de la bestiole, certains sujets s’y prettent mal.
J’ai relu certaines docs de l’IRCC et si on en croit ces docs, la base de photo qui leur a servi à définir leurs valeurs standards est de l’ordre de 250 images ce qui a mon sens est microscopique. Ca n’enlève rien à la justesse de leur effort, mais c’est perfectible.
Enfin est pour être totalement ouvert, je n’ai pas vérifié les deltas RGB existants dans une image exportée par différent éditeurs RAW. Ils devraient minims mais je vais essayer de quantifier ça.

@GaoGao
Cela depend en plus, pour chaque editeur RAW et chaque boitier, du profil et courbe de transfer choisis, qui de base peuvent donner des resultats extremement differents, et ce avec un meme editeur (courbe lineaire ou differentes courbes constructeur ou autres …). Quelle est la vrai reference ? Quelles sont ces “true rgbv values” ?
Essayer de trouver si des modifications de l’ordre du tampon, de la modification de ce qui est dans le cadre, de la transformation de l’apparence de certains personnage est une chose. Mais statuer sur la maniere dont on doit percevoir la lumiere en est une autre.
Je conçois qu’en paysage (ce qui n’a rien à voir avec le domaine journalistique) des abus sur la saturation et realité des couleurs soient très fréquents, cela me crève très souvent les yeux, et que cette partie là soit difficile à évaluer, mais est ce à évaluer ?
Il ne s’agit plus là de tricher sur le sens de l’image …
Et c’est la que j’en conclu que ces gens tentent d’imposer leur standard dans un domaine artistique et non deontologique comme ils le présentent.
Et cela est déontologiquement inacceptable. Leur ironie l’est autant.
Leur manière d’évaluer est tronquée à la base.
Pour moi, il ne s’agit pas de savoir si Photolab sera plus ou moins apte à passer le test qu’un autre editeur RAW. Il s’agit d’un problème plus général d’ordre ethique :
Devrait on avoir le droit de légiférer un champs artistique, le champs artistique n’est il pas le domaine de la créativité ?

J’ai fait quelques exportations depuis Rawterapee et Darktable sous Linux en supprimant tous les filtres et en sauvant sous differents formats RGB. Comme je l’estimais des différences de moyennes des valeurs RGB existent mais restent minimes, sans que l’on sache si et comment l’IRCC en tient compte.
Pour le reste, et encore une fois, l’IRCC ne juge pas de la valeur artistique d’une image, mais applique des limites de traitement déterminées par l’analyse d’un set de photos. De nombreux organisateurs d’expositions facilitent l’entrée d’images certifiées par l’IRCC, ce qui indique, malgré les critiques possibles et les imperfections de la certification, que ces valeurs font consensus.
Screenshot from 2022-02-17 12-21-09

Question d’interpretation.
Mais merci pour ces tests. Effectués sur quelle image ? Ce serait interressant de pouvoir comparer le raw et les jpg ou autres formats obtenus.