IRCC Certification

Dear JoPOV

Working on this subject has taught me that simply “playing” with brightness, contrast, and other buttons significantly changes the RGB level. By comparing the non-changed and modified jpgs, I uncovered software (freeware) that allows you to estimate the change in RGB level. ImageJ can assist you in calculating this.
If you need more details, I can help you.
Regards

Do you know who created those IRCC criterias ? Them ?
I understand their purpose when it’s about image manipulation, but I’m very suspiscious when it comes to regulate an artistic field.
So they have decided which photographer is ok and they ask other to conform to them … it looks a bit like it, isn’t it ? …
Is it allowed to do shadow recovery ? Is it allowed to control white balance in post ? Is it allowed to recover a not perfect exposure ? … sounds weird.

Anyway, maybe will we see less oversaturated landscape photography. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

To be honest this whole thing sounds like a scam. That you have to pay to have an image evaluated is a clear indicator. If they were honestly an organization interested in having photographers represent their photos with true to life colors they would be more open with the details/criteria and/or offer free evaluation of your images.

This whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Anyway I know my rant is off topic.

As to the topic at hand I agree with what others have said. RAW files must be interpreted. So what’s the standard?

1 Like

Hallelujah! The truth shall set you free! :laughing:

My point exactly. But not even just that. If I take a high dynamic range shot, in order to capture everything without either blocking shadow detail or, more importantly, blowing highlights, I am going to produce a RAW file whose JPEG preview is going to look horrendously dark but, after processing, the full range will be revealed. That can involve raising the “exposure” of the shadows by anything from 2-5 stops. This is not modifying the image, in the sense that I am adding or removing something, it is simply “decompressing” the shadows to reveal what the sensor captured, in the same way as a film photographer would use multigrade paper and contrast filters, plus several exposures, dodging and burning, under the enlarger to get the best quality print.

Although what on earth the IRCC are hoping to achieve with only a 1920 pixel image, I cannot for the life of me imagine. Apart, of course, for creating a very lucrative money-making scam :crazy_face: