iPhone 12 Pro Module

Since I take most of my photos (DNG) with my iPhone 12 Pro, DXO Photo Lab is useless to me. The iPhone 12 series has been out for a good while now and DXO needs to do a better job keeping up with their modules. I have suggested adding that module twice, but nothing has happened so far. If this is not added soon I’m going to delete Photo Lab even though I like many of it’s processing features. Come on DXO, you can do better than this.

Dan, while I concur with you about support for iPhones, your reaction is a bit extreme. Iridient Developer will handle iPhone RAW and probably the new iPhone 12 Pro only DNG (release notes here). While the tools are nowhere as near as comprehensive as Photolab (no local adjustments or bitmap repair/heal features, no Prime noise reduction), the RAW development tools are good. Switching between DxO Photolab and Iridient Developer isn’t too much of a burden as both use sidecar files (.dop and .idsf) respectively and read XMP rating files.

Here’s a sample RAW photo from my iPhone 11 Pro Max developed with Iridient Developer:

As the photo above shows, there’s RAW support in previous iPhones too with third party applications (saved in a standard format across third party applications). There’s plenty of potential for iPhone photos shot with good light.

DxO did support iOS 9 or 10 (probably the days of the DxO One) but then dropped iPhone support completely. It’s not just iPhone 12 Pro users who are deprived. It’s a mystery to me why DxO would ignore such a large market as well as annoy its core user base, many of whom have recent iPhones and third party RAW applications.

Not iphone but have had the same problem with my Android P30pro and found the app snapseed which is pretty good also with DNG, mabe it works also for macphones

Thanks Alec. Unfortunately, Iridient Developer is for Mac only so that’s no help. I respect your comment, but I don’t think my comment was extreme as I agree with you, I think it makes no sense for DXO to ignore the large segment of iPhone users if that’s what they’re doing. I wish there had been some kind of notice when I paid for the software to say myself some money.

Your picture is very well done and I’m sorry ID is not available for windows.

Regards, Dan

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words about the image. I was surprised myself at what comes out of an iPhone camera in good light. I mainly use my iPhone for daylight panorama as it does a splendid job automating the process although posterisation in the skies does blemish some images.

I would certainly shoot a lot more images with my iPhone if Photolab supported iPhone RAW (for me the classic iPhone DNG, which has been kicking around for years in applications like Moment, Halide and First Light). So we shouldn’t let DxO off the hook for not supporting iPhones. Not supporting X-Trans is okay (it’s a niche, and I disposed of my Fuji cameras as I would rather have Photolab support than an X-T3, X-T20 or X-H1) but not supporting iPhone DNG after having introduced it is really a kick in the stomach.

I had forgotten Iridient Developer is Mac only. No need to regret Iridient Developer too much. I trotted it out today after recommending ID to you earlier and processed a couple of images. The results were good (not great) but ID is much, much slower than Photolab, mainly because of the slow updates to preview. Plus the workflow is nothing like as intuitive or enjoyable (had to take the image to Acorn to do some cloning and to clean up some hot chroma spots).

Perhaps there are some Windows specific editors. I wouldn’t buy it if you don’t own it already through a bundle but Luminar apparently support iPhone RAW (time for me to dust off my old copy though I don’t like Luminar much) and On1 (which I also didn’t like much, although I find On1’s marketing more appealing than Skylum) which definitely supports iPhone RAW.

When will DxO add back iPhone DNG support to Photolab so we could spend our time amazing one another with the incredible mobile photos we took and processed in Photolab and less time suggesting workarounds to one another? Frustrating.

You’ve got my vote!

Smartphones are no longer supported by Photolab. Even the IPhones 10 are only rudimentarily included. One should slowly say goodbye to Photolab.

Let’s not give up the best RAW development tool in Christendom over iPhone support. I suggest we continue to put pressure (a lot of pressure) on DxO to add iPhone support. I can’t believe that DxO do not see the commercial value of providing iPhone DNG support as most/many pro and high end amateur photographers also have recent iPhones and use them. Just hearing that Photolab doesn’t support iPhone RAW at this point prevents many of them from considering switching to Photolab seriously.

The lack of support for iPhone RAW is madness. Probably dates back to the DxO One failure where I would bet someone at Apple encouraged DxO to launch and then reneged on some marketing/support promises post-launch.I agree with DxO – one can’t trust Apple even a smidgeon since the passing of Steve Jobs. Apple is mostly a software company run by supply chain managers at this point. Ignoring Apple’s market share and the relative quality of their products is unwise.

For all of my personal misgivings about Apple, we spend about 1/3 of our development time supporting iOS at my main gig. iPhones and iPads are what are in people’s hands, at least in the English speaking world.

I don’t use a iPhone and given its Apple have no intention of doing so. BUT so many do and it does alow RAW I regard it as madness its not being supported. Given cameras are a declining market and phones a still incresing one to refuse to cover an expanding are is not a very good idea, but given the crazey development way the DxO One was undertaken its fallows in that tradition.

1 Like

I have to respond. We may want to blame Apple for updates but I think it’s important to remember that almost, almost all other companies and applications do updates as well to work with Apple’s updates. I have tried to contact DXO and have not received any responses if you don’t count on the first initial automated response.

The iPhone 7 was the last model I had that was supported by DxO. My newer iPhone, no dice. I have begun to develop a theory about why this might be so, but I could also be completely wrong as well. My theory is that the in-phone optical corrections have now gotten so good that DxO is unable to add anything of real value in an optics module. I say this in part because I was never very impressed with the corrections provided by the DxO optics module for the iPhone 7. Moreover, for newer models the in-phone corrections seem to have advanced dramatically. I’d be happy to just be able to open the raw / ProRaw DNGs within DxO PL4 without a DxO module. Maybe this is not possible in that the iPhone DNGs are now “rendered” in some way that negates a true raw workflow within DxO PL4. I don’t know - not an engineer.

1 Like

Absolutely, eriepa. I’d like to have the colour correction, the perspective correction (not lens correction), the noise reduction, the local adjustments. A lens module is not at all necessary to make Photolab useful to me with iPhone DNG.

ProRaw files are already demosaiced.
The optical correction data is included but not applied (it’s not a drama if dxo can’t take it into account).

It’s a pity not to be able to process all your files with the same software.
I take more and more photos with my smartphone, so Photolab could not be my main raw software (I use Lightroom, and dxo photolab as a preprocessor for dng when needed).

The ultimate quality of development is not what is needed here, it’s just being able to see the files and apply some dxo settings on it.

1 Like

I wish I could vote again on this request (although my vote is for all iPhone RAW DNG files and not just the new iPhone 12 Pro format).

Here are the other two related feature requests I’ve voted there now too.

The vote totals are higher, 18 and 19 respectively. Really DxO should move and move fast on supporting iPhone DNG. DxO’s existing Photolab customers have iPhones and are being driven to use other competing software to process iPhone DNG/RAW.

1 Like

I’m not an iPhone user, and I don’t have any particular interest in editing raw files from my Galaxy Android phone, but I will vote for this in hopes that DXO will add this support for those who want it.

Mark

2 Likes

I don’t like using my phone as a camera. When I’m out and about “doing stuff” where I may want to take photos, I’ll usually take a proper camera. My go-to for small, convenient carry is currently an RX100, which fits in a belt bag, and is small enough that I’m not going be bothered wearing it when out and about. That’s all well and good, but there are still times when even a camera like that is seriously inconvenient or inappropriate. Nights out, concerts, an unexpected evening meal with family or friends; These are the times when I’ll use a phone as a point and shoot camera, simply because I don’t have anything else. These are also the most difficult times to use a phone camera. The RX100 may be small, but it won’t fit in a jeans pocket alongside a wallet, phone, and keys. When dealing with low light and the tiny sensors, you’re going to be contending with image noise, and whilst advances in computational photography are all well and good for landscapes or still life, you can’t defy the laws of physics when you’re dealing with moving subjects and a “there and then it’s gone” moment.

I’m fortunate in that I have the iPhone XR at the moment, and I can actually get DxO PhotoLab to process the RAWs if I bodge the metadata so that it thinks it’s dealing with an iPhone X instead. The results from DxO were pretty good, even if the actual photos suffered due to my inability to reposition myself and create a well-composed photo. The resulting images were substantially better than anything that comes directly out of the phone, or out of any of the other RAW editors I’ve tried, and were actually pretty reasonable given the challenging conditions I took them in.

Every time this comes up, there’s discussion of alternative RAW developers, and in my case, that’s not helpful. Nothing else can match DxO for noise handling, and given that our phones are probably the noisiest cameras that we own, that’s the one place where DxO support is desparately needed. There are no alternatives on the market that can salvage the photos that I’d take on a phone. I wouldn’t mind support being limited to a small selection of phone cameras if that’s what it takes, as I’d be willing to compromise a little on the selection of my next phone (e.g. skipping a phone generation, buying a slightly higher end model, or buying the previous year’s model) if that means I can get adequate images out of my phone camera in post, vs. being stuck with images that look like they came out of a point and shoot camera from around 2007.

1 Like

Ditto,

Photolab 4 elite is wasting space on my mac with out DNG support for iPhone 12 . Perhaps DxO will
come up with a module for $79.95. Then beg with promotional emails, until we buy it.

2 Likes

Bonjour,

Avec la prochaine arrivée des iPhones ‘13’, quel est la position de DXO à propos de l’Apple ProRaw ?
Réponse d’autant plus intéressante maintenant qu’il y a Pureraw .
Y aura t’il la possibilité de passer la licence DXO Photolab vers DXO PureRAW ?

Cordialement,
(et encore merci pour le travail que vous avez fait jusqu’à maintenant)

2 Likes

any update ?

1 Like

I just upgraded to PL5 and I am surprised and disappointed there is still no module for iPhone 12 Pro Max.
I signed up to add my vote.
It appears development of modules stopped at iPhone X.
What is going on DXO?

1 Like

I wrote a review of the latest version of PhotoLab and it’s gone down well - but I am getting comments about the lack of support for iPhone DNG. This is definitely a gap in the capability that people want DxO to address.

2 Likes