Interactive New User Tutorial

Hi,
A newbie here. I’ve been reading and learning from all the pros here. Every time I get a new “badge” it’s a bit surprising, but it made me look closer at the available badges. One such is “Certified” which one earns by reading the Interactive New User Tutorial. I’d think this was an empty badge and no way to earn it because no matter how I search the site for such a thing, all I find are links to tutorials on various DXO products. However, there’s at least one user who joined in past 24 hours and has already “earned” this badge. https://forum.dxo.com/badges/100/certified

To be honest, much more interested in reading the DXO pro forum interactions about how to customize the workspace, how to tweak dark/light areas of photos using various tools, etc., and I have already learned a ton. But maybe if I could find a link to this “New User Tutorial” I might actually understand site navigation better and eventually have an impactful membership here.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

No one? Folks are earning this badge - must be some way to get there from here? If no suggestions I’ll delete this post but seems like someone somewhere has dropped a ball. Other than that I’ve appreciated the opportunity to read all the comments/suggestions/tweaks/methods for using dxo and it’s various products.

I can guess what this is. When I joined as a new user, I received a private message from an interactive bot. I didn’t perform all of the new user exercises it suggested, which would explain why I don’t have the Certified badge. Check your messages. If there’s nothing there, then this bot might no longer be part of the forum software.

Thanks. That’s what I figured but went through all the notifications in my inbox. Even got the terms of service badge or whatever. But yet even now there are a few users each week that earn it! Just don’t know their magic. I could message them but that seems spammy. :slight_smile: it’s all good. I’ll drop it. Maybe I’ll stumble across the secret formula someday.

Well, now I know. Just ask the all-knowing @discobot via messaging! They will tell you where to look, sorta. Anyhow, it worked for me. Finally go there. :slight_smile: And learned a little more about how to interact while I was at it.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Woohooo !!! … Thanks, James :rofl:

John M

The advanced user tutorial, eh? After three years, I just completed the new user tutorial with discobot. How late do I have to stay up tonight to get fully “licensed”? :star_struck: :laughing:

1 Like

Ha! Silly stuff, but when I first joined and was looking around the site and saw the badges, I kept searching for the elusive user tutorial and found nothing. Now that I’ve been here a few months I was promoted by a bot and did the advanced tutorial. Then i was thinking, how do I get to that new user thing? So i asked the bit and it told me i had some setting turned off. I found the setting and asked again, and then I had both “certificates” - out of order but done. Now if only I could get a free coffee or something for my trouble, but hey, at least I’m edumacated now.

1 Like

Welcome! I actually did learn a thing or two in the process but nothing earth shattering.

1 Like

I’m also new to the forum and to forums in general. I sent a message to this forum but it failed to appear anywhere. How does one get published?

Hi, as I recall, if you interact (ie, search the forum for specific topic or issue, or just browse posts, and like or comment (like you did here), you’ll quickly earn “badges” . In the same way, you earn the ability to create new topics. I suspect this is a friendly way to filter out spam bots, so not just anyone can register and same day blast a lot of spammy posts across the forum.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply & advice. Whilst trying to negotiate the “Forum Fog”, I stumbled across some messages from people who had been looking for their first messages without success. I discovered that there are people who check messages before publication presumably for spelling & grammar as the forum is international. I also discovered that they have weekends off.
So I will be patient and my message will eventually appear.
Regards,

What are you missing? Just post it again – and nobody is checking spelling & grammar for you.

New members of the forum have to bear with a delay. The delay will go away after a number of posts.

1 Like