Installed NIK Collection not recognised by Photolab 5

Thank you - I neglected to indicate that it is on a Windows PC and the Preferences dialog is different than on Mac - it does not have that Nik Collection check box. However, the Nik Collection button always shows in Photolab but sometimes it goes dim and if you hover over it is says that the Nik Collection is not installed (but it is). To fix this and make the button active again, I have to delete and reinstall Nik. It happens every time PL is reinstalled (such as with a new update like today), and seems to happen other times as well for no apparent reason.

There is a checkbox in the preferences to display the Nik Collection button on the windows version.

Correct, sorry I missed that, itā€™s on the top of the dialog box instead of bottom. That box was already checked. I am downloading another update to PL5 (2nd one today) so I will see how this one goes with Nikā€¦

Edit: following up - I opened PL5 and it said there was an update available (2nd one today) so I downloaded and installed. Previously, when installing an update, the Nik button would still be there, but be inactive. Just now I installed PL5 v5.1.0 Build 4690, and the Nik button is active (working), without having to reinstall Nik. Perhaps this has been fixed?

Iā€™m on the 1st version today (v5.1.0.4681) and the Nik Collection button is working.

Iā€™m on Windows 11, maybe thatā€™s the problem. But this issue might have started when I was still on Win 10, I donā€™t rememberā€¦ Anyway, the most recent update worked fine.

Hi , a few days ago GrƩgoire Pailler posted the following "Could you open a PowerShell prompt and run the following command
Get-ChildItem -Path "HKLM:\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Nik Collection"
At the time NIK collection & PL5 were working together & NIK Collection was present in the registry entry. Since then I have had a couple of failure instances (using Windows 10), the latest being this morning. I went into the registry editior to the HKLM key above & there was no entry for NIK collection despite it showing up in the Apps section of Windows settings.
I did the usual uninstall & reinstall of NIK & checked the registry key again. This time the NIK Collection entry was there. I exported the registry key to a safe place &, if it happens again, I will try restoring the registry key before reinstalling NIK. I assume I would have to change the version number if NIK is updated. It looks like something is knocking out this registry key &, hopefully, the DxO developers can figure out what.

Edit followup: I tried a quick experiment. IN the registry editor I renamed the key to simply NIK. PL5 did not recognise the NIK installation. Renaming the key back to NIK Collection restored the correct behaviour to PL5 so the problem is definitely due to a problem with this key,

Once again the problem reappeared after the latest PL5 update. I double clicked on the exported version of the NIK Collection Uninstall key & PL5 then recognised that NIK Collection was installed without all the pfaff of uninstalling & reinstalling it. I hope this helps. NIK Uninstall Key.txt (2.3 KB) I have attached the relevant registry key as a text file. Hopefully if you rename the extension to .reg & double click it should work.

1 Like

And yet again after installing the latest update. Interestingly this did not happen until I restarted the PC the fpllowing day. Once again restoring the NIK Collection Uninstall key corrected the problem without having to restore NIK Collection.