Installation problem - Nik Collection update blocked by Windows defender (false positive)

Sorry, but that’s not a solution, that’s just a bad workaround and I will not do so. A solution would be to correct the installation package or to get it solved on Microsoft side with an signature update for MS Defender. A installation test before deploying it would be a good idea for the future as well.

2 Likes

I also was alerted by defender during installation and after reviewing all security factors, let Defender remove the “threat” (flagged as “Severe”). So now my Nik collection is still working but is it up to date? Should I re-install? And if I do, do I allow the threat in Defender?

Not nice the reaction time of DXO, not to think if there would really be a virus attack…

1 Like

On my system Defender blocks NIK Collection installer for this Backdoor:

Win32/Bladabindi!ml

Quite scary. Any update available without Virus?

Frankly spoken this needs urgent attention and a quick response by DxO!

The answer is already in this discussion. Temporarily disable Defender whilst installing.

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t see disabling your virus protection even temporarily as a solution.

3 Likes

You can install with another protection.

I installed another antivirus, namely Avast free, enabled it in lieu of Defender, and installed Nik while protected by AV.

The other solution is to get a Mac computer, which usually never needs virus protection :crazy_face:

@Joanna,

That’s because there aren’t enough of them in comparison to Windows machines to warrant making viruses for them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mark

4 Likes

@Joanna Sorry …Are you serious??? Made my day! Each time you get a Virus warning you simply disable the Defender andf all is fine? Reminds me of the perisensitive Sunglasses in “Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy” - they turn dark when danger comes up. guess I need a bit of time to digest that logic …

It seems like some people are convinced Defender ist the problem … What a distorterd perception! I just ask myself why DxO implements software that is identified as Backdoors, Virusses or Malware? Are suspicious and dangerous addons seriously a requirement for a photo software? For a SW company this should be a DBA (maximum credible accident) … So I’m more than surprised that DxO is not head over heals in panic about this threat…

False positives happen all the time between various antivirus/malware programs and a large variety of software installation files. All the time!!! One of the worst offenders for years has been Avast Antivirus. Its is not a distorted perception as you suggest. If there are 25 different antivirus programs and only one gives a false positive to a specific software installation program, why in the world would you assume the fault lays with that software and not the antivirus program?

Mark

3 Likes

Just type “Windows Defender false positives” into Google and see the responses you get. This kind of thing is nowhere near exceptional and does not indicate that a certain app actually contains a virus, merely that WD believes it does. And, as Mark says, there are other AV apps that cause similar problems.

Think about it - how do you know that an AV app doesn’t contain a virus itself?

1 Like

Looks like DXO have sorted it - V5.6.1 now available and I’ve just installed it without problem :+1:

2 Likes

Yep, I confirm. When I contacted them they were already addressing things with Microsoft. These things take some time I guess :slight_smile:

Same here. I attempted to install 5.6.1 this morning, but encountered an ‘unable to install due to trojan’ error. It took me four hours to rid myself of the ‘trojan’, whether bogus or real I don’t care. It was my time wasted. I am currently unable to reinstall Nik Collection without having the error reappear. I suspect that this is a false positive, but who cares? It should have never have happened in the first place. I like and use Nik software, but their QC in this case is not the best.

I certainly agree that it never should happen, but it is certainly not DXO’s fault. Which antivirus program are you using? False positives are a problem with the antivirus program, not with the software. Are you using Avast, AVG, or Microsoft defender? If you are, do a little research and you will discover all the cases of false positives from these three antivirus programs.

Mark

I disagree with you, Mark. A software provider has responsibility to ensure the efficacy of their product and this includes confirming that it passes virus protection, especially commonly used ones such as those embedded in OSs, like Windows. It’s such a simple task that it can’t be argued away by saying that the virus checker is at fault.

1 Like

You can disagree all you want, but if the overwhelming majority of antivirus programs do not find fault with legitimate software which contains no virus then the software is not an issue and the antivirus program that blocks it is.

It is not the job of software designers to test that every possible antivirus program in existence is not overzealous and marks their software with a false positive. Recently Avast updated their antivirus software because they were giving false positives to DxO products. Clearly they thought they were at fault or they would not have done that.

Mark

Not a simple task at all, beside the fact that the antivirus provider is obviously in charge of fixing the problem. Testing all antivirus programs against a given installation program or installed application, is just nonsense. Just consider the number of available configuration possibilities of each antivirus program.

The only thing we can expect from DxO is to relay the problem report to the antivirus developer because they have more weight as a company than any individual. DxO have enough work testing the stability of their programs against the huge configuration variants of their users systems. Everyone to his own trade.

1 Like