Incorrect lens identification since 6.5 update

Hello,
I have exactly the same issue: I own the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD.
Only in case I have used F2.8 it is falsly identified as a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM. If I shoot the same picture with F3.2 and other apertures the identification of the Tamron is correct.
This behaviour independent from the Camera body, I tested with a Canon RP and a Canon 200D.

Dieter

2 Likes

This is very interesting @bconner . I think he may have found the problem.

Back in the days of staff monitoring and dealing with problems on this forum I had support denying there was a problem but when DxO staff tested it and said there clearly was a problem and took it up suddenly there was indeed a problem and a fix found. Poor support is as old as DxO which is why I am sure they took them away from the fourm !

1 Like

I didn’t catch the fact that it was only f2.8 images that are misidentified. I have verified that this is also the case for me and my images taken with my EOS R. Thanks for sharing that!

I have updated my DXO Customer “service” ticket to reflect this new bit of information.

It still doesn’t identify the actual problem, but it does prove that it is a DXO PL6 problem and not a lens or camera body problem.
If DXO offers a solution, I will share it here with you.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

I tend to agree. I remember a time when there was definitely more presence from DXO employees and they would try to help. In my opinion, DXO needs all the help in the world with their customer service. At the moment, it is almost customer no service in my experience over the last few months.

1 Like

I think Dieter has definitely given information that proves that it is indeed a DXO problem and in no way a lens/camera body/lens mount problem. Now if only DXO would be able to include some actual service in the term customer service…

I edited the file and changed the following values with Graphic Converter (Mac only app)

Afterwards, DPL v6.5.1 presented the lens ambiguity badge which let me select the Tamron.

Forget “almost”.

George

1 Like

I was trying to be nice…but you are correct.

Another workaround (on Mac)

As we can see, the Tamron lens has entries of 0.0 where the Sigma has 2.8!

• Change the 0.0 entries to 2.8, save the database and close it
    → from now on, the ambiguity is restored and you can select the lens you actually used

Beware: This fix is only working as long as DPL does not update the database, which will happen on app updates and possibly in between. Also, the fix does not prove that the database entries are wrong, maybe that the app is acting differently.

So, what should you do?

• Insist that DxO fixes the issue? Definitely!
  • Edit the raw file’s metadata? I’d rather not.
  • Edit the database entry? Yes - to make series of images workable for a limited while.

Addendum:

• Checking the module database of DPL3,
    I found that all 24-70 lenses for body 607 have 0.0 in the “amin” and “amax” cells.
  • Checking the module database of DPL4,
    I found that all 24-70 lenses for body 607 have non-zero entries in the “amin” and “amax” cells.
  • Checking the module database of DPL5, I found that all but one 24-70 lenses for body 607
    have non-zero entries - except module C56068c_002, which is for the Tamron.

attn. @Musashi
Maybe there is a reason for this variation of database cell values?

Update: I solved the lens recognition of one of my test images by editing the module database. I simply replaced the amin and amax values by “0.0” (without the “”) and DPL produced the ambiguity warning and let me download the module(s) I needed. This looks like less precise lens data opens up a possibility that is absent because of a false positive…

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

15 days and still no solution offered by customer service, nor any attempt at a solution.

19 days now and finally a response from DXO. Still no solution, but they asked if my Canon EOS R has had a recent firmware update…no…not since June of 2021 :joy:

Even though I was using this same camera body and lens, at f2.8, without any problems prior to PL6 I was given this nugget of information:

“My colleagues believe this misidentification problem is due to the EXIF data recorded in the image, as shown in the attached screenshot. If so, this would probably have to be addressed by the hardware manufacturer.”

Talk about passing the buck…

I fear all to normal and rather shows a lack of knowledge of the csmeras DXO provides support for. When I had a lense compatability problem they were as usless and it was the then staff member covering the fourm that soon got it sorted NOT support. No doubt a large part of why they were taken away from here to stop upsetting support.

I agree completely. Except I would categorize the support that DXO provides as basically non-existence.

PL6 has never fully supported dng converted files for a Canon EOS R. I started a ticket in October of 2022 because raw files converted to dng files don’t have the lens sharpening slider available in PL6. It doesn’t matter which lens is used. DXO told me that this would be corrected in an upcoming update. 7 months later…still nothing.

And now, I have the correct module for my lens installed on my pc, PL5 installed it…but PL6 misidentifies the lens but won’t allow me to choose the correct lens and use the already installed correct module.

The fact that these problems are still not solved is apparently a result of gross incompetence. And this is a complete shame, because the software produces image quality which is, in my opinion, the best available at the moment. But since that is combined with what might be the worst customer service available at the moment, I could in no way recommend DXO to a friend or colleague.

I do wonder if the inability to use sharpening in your case isn’t just a deliberate act by DxO. It was with the removal in the Windows version of the program (not Mac?)of using most Sony E lenses distance information. They appeared to have problems with using/extracting (why just Windows is incompetence it strikes me). In my wife’s very old version of DxO you can get distance correction and some other DxO users said they can still in the Mac version from RAW’s I posted. DxO have this long history of emulating the poorest side of Corel in their original Draw, don’t listen to customers, add new features (in Corel’s case this successfully drove other better programs out of existence) spend a year patching some of the new bugs then repeat the cycle. But they and DxO don’t actually ever sort many of the bugs or poor aspects of the program just go on adding, what are all to often, useless/poorly impended additions as what’s seen as important if adding something new not getting what’s there to work properly.

DXO blames the EOS R dng lens sharpening issue on Canon and the Maker Notes (or lack of) in the exif file. Which doesn’t matter, because Lightroom can use the same exact dng file and recognize the lens and everything else.

DXO just passes the buck, points their finger at someone else, and as you said just keeps on adding new stuff to the program without fixing the old stuff…or even making sure the new stuff works properly in some cases.

I am beginning to think that DXO is incompetent, lazy, and greedy. At best, they simply have terrible customer service.

3 Likes

I fear there are a range of problems, central is the long standing inability come refusal to listen to customers. The feedback at time from BETA testers makes you wonder why they take part it as they appear to be largely ignored and this is the same for users in general (an example that made the whole thing worse was the DXO One camera that lead to the splitting up of the original company when it was clear it was a misguided product for the start). If customers were listened to many of the other problems would no longer exist (and the ONE mess wouldn’t have happened).

A secondary major problem is producing two separate programs each trying to do the same as the other with the Mac and Windows versions. Not being a programmer I don’t understand why they do this, I do know no other program I use that’s produced for different operating systems does this. It must lead to much higher costs in production and, if support were actually there, in support costs as well. After promises that the differences would be reduced they in fact appear to be growing which leads to another problem, not actually dealing with accepted problems but saying they will but then having no intention of actually doing so, the famous back log which must have stuff in it going back before PL came out! The print module is a case in point its pre PL and has always been poor and always been promised replacement.

Then you get the sneaked in changes that often cause problems, the changes to the DAM have been a never ending case in point. Promises years ago for data base management, which are even more important if you pretend to have a DAM, have never been produced, which is another problem a wiliness to say something will be done but all to often it gets abandoned or maybe was never intended to happen.

I fear it’s getting worse, the big changes to the way this forum interacted with DXO were changed with V6, the evidence of a refusal to actually allow programs bought to actually be used for life as claimed by withholding activation when asked for. This outdated activation system has long been a anti customer process and no other program I have still does it this way but allows changes via my accounts to activation or de activation with most giving access to downloads of all older versions of programs and there activation code. But this is just part of the overall problems!

1 Like

@John7, considering the great amount of dissatisfaction you have with DxO and PhotoLab, which I read in many of your posts, it’s surprising that you still use it.

With the availability of so many competitors today I would think there would be several that more closely match your expectations. I understand your frustration with a number of PhotoLab’s fearures, some of which are implemented better in other software. However, you rarely seem to say anything positive about the product, so why hang around?

For myself, I tend to focus more on what PhotoLab does better than its competitors rather than on its omissions.

Mark

2 Likes

Well, than you’re quickly done with focusing… :smile: because the number of things PL does better is decreasing, or the number of things others can do better than DxO is increasing faster than DxO devs do… uuuhm … whatever they do :laughing:

1 Like