Incorrect Camera Lens Module

PhotoLab 1 is currently in use. Formerly used Optics Pro 11 Elite. A green camera icon appears on one of the JPG images. Clicking on the icon opens a window offering two camera modules for download, neither of which is correct. The offerings are as follows:
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC
Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro

Optics Pro 11 Elite is still loaded on the computer. Opening Optics Pro 11 Elite and browsing to the same image shows the correct camera/lens module, which is:
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 (IF) Macro
Can anyone explain why Optics Pro 11 Elite is able to determine the correct camera lens module that was used to take the photo, while PhotoLab 1 is unable to correctly determine lens in use?

Greetings,
I see you have been using DxO products for a while. Optics Pro and PL are two different products. We know they share similar code. As such, modules might not always align between different products,. I’m sure effort is made here, but it appears that inconsistencies exist between these two releases.

If you visit this page Supported Cameras & Modules and find that the body & module combo for version 1.x of PL is missing, you can certainly request it. If it shows as supported, but isn’t working, you can bring this to supports attention.

Keep in mind however that v3 is coming and asking for (new) support in v1 might not be high priority. If its merely been overlooked, it might be easily correctable.

I’d start with verifying if the body & lens is supported in v1 (link above), then follow up with a ticket here if appropriate.

Thanks for the response. The problem isn’t whether the camera and lens combination is or isn’t supported, rather it’s related to PhotoLab’s inability to correctly read the photo’s EXIF metadata. Whereas, Optic Pro 11 Elite did correctly read the photo’s EXIF metadata. Both versions of the software show that the particular camera and lens is supported. As you state, while Optics Pro 11 and PhotoLab are two different products sharing similar code (most likely very much of the same code including the correct reading of camera and lens combination), one cannot help but conclude that when transferring the code from Optics Pro to PhotoLab, an error was made.

Judging by the number of users that experience various problems with DXO PhotoLab versions, the software appears to be in its beta stage. Moreover, continuing to pay for new versions that merely correct flaws in the software is ridiculous. When there are genuine enhancements to the software, then it seems appropriate to charge for an upgrade.

1 Like

Hello @outerbank10,

Can you provide one or two images for which you have a wrong identification so we can have a look and if possible fix the issue ?

Regards,
Marie

Hi Marie,

I did reply to your e-mail request for the two images in question. As written in the e-mail, using PhotoLab is an exercise in frustration. I am furthering this discussion on the forum to inform users about the apparent shortcomings in PhotoLab. Here is a run down of events.

Yesterday a decision was made to import the photo image in question to replace the photo image in which PhotoLab could not determine the correct lens module used. The import this time was directly from the memory disc used in the camera when the photo was originally shot. Consequently, this eliminated any chance that the photo image was knowingly or unknowingly modified in any manner and therefore might be the cause of PhotoLab’s inability to correctly determine lens module in use and then offer two incorrect lens modules for download.

Dxo Photolab was opened and then browsed to the folder containing the image. The green camera icon was attached to the image. However, the lens module offered was more closely aligned to the original lens used. The original lens used was a Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Aspherical. Now the lens module offered was a Konica Minolta AF 28-75mm f2.8 (D), which seems closer to the Tamron lens specifications. The Konica Minolta lens module was downloaded and everything appeared okay. That is, the green camera icon was gone from the image.

This morning Photolab was opened to the same folder and image. Much to my dismay the green icon reappeared on the image. Clicking on the green camera icon did nothing. Absolutely nada. No window opened to offer a lens module. Next step was to close PhotoLab and reopen it hoping this would resolve the problem. It didn’t. Closed and reopened PhotoLab again. This time the green icon was active. Again it offered the same two incorrect lens modules. What to do next??

Decided to import the image again from the original camera disc, only this time a second copy would be made of the same image. So now two of the same image appears in DXO PhotoLab. Surprisingly PhotoLab correctly determined the exact lens used on the second copy of the image, while the green icon appears on the first copy. Again, hovering the mouse over the image with the green camera icon opens the window that offers the same two incorrect lens modules. Very frustrating.

Based on the apparent inconsistency of this photo editing software, my decision is to no longer bother with any attempts at using PhotoLab. Based on the numerous user postings on this forum about problems with this software, it’s obviously in a beta state. I regret buying what was alleged to be an upgrade from Optics Pro 11 Elite. My plans are to stick with a proven reliable Light Room.

Greetings,
I re-read your posts. Your first said, “A green camera icon appears on one of the JPG images”. One image and you’re throwing in the towel? While any issue can be frustrating, deciding not to use a product because a single jpg is not being correctly identified seems a little dramatic. Don’t you think? DxO has already reached out and appears to be genuinely interested in addressing the issue and your concern.

I haven’t been using the software quite as long as you, but did have an issue (more serious than yours) last month that got resolved in about 48 hrs after I reported it. My suggestion, give the DxO team a chance to address your issue. You might be surprised at how quickly it gets resolved.

Comparing DxO with Adobe is not apples to apples. I respect your opinion and right to choose, but still believe you could give DxO an opportunity to resolve the issue.

1 Like

Regarding throwing in the towel. If it was related to just one incident, then your comment could be justified. The real reason for not using DXO PhotoLab is its apparent unreliability. If you would more closely read my last posting you may better comprehend why the decision was made.

The initial problem was the appearance of the green camera icon. Clicking on the green camera icon opened a window offering two lens modules that were not even close to the lens used. The second issue is that related to deleting the photo image in question and then reimporting the photo image, upon which the green camera icon was again attached to the photo image. Clicking on the green camera icon opened the window offering a Konica/Minolta lens module that was the same 28-75mm f2.8 lens specification. The lens module was downloaded and installed. The next day DXO PhotoLab was opened and browsed to the same photo image. There again was the green camera icon. Clicking on the icon did nothing. That is, the window that is expected to open and offer a lens module didn’t open.

The next step taken to resolve the green camera icon was importing the photo image again. Only this time the photo image previously imported was not deleted from DXO PhotoLab. Hence, two of the same image is now shown in DXO PhotoLab. And, the second iteration of the photo image does not exhibit the green camera icon. In fact, PhotoLab correctly reads that the lens used is a Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Aspherical.

So how does one explain that PhotoLab does not read the lens module used in one instance, but does in the second instance. Oh, and by the way both of the photo images were imported directly from the memory disc used in the camera when the photo was taken. This should allay any thoughts that the first photo was altered by some means.

There can be no doubt about my concern with the inconsistency of DXO PhotoLab and therefore for my conclusion to not use this software.