Improved win10/11 drivers from Nvidia, vastly improved processing times in PL

My original point was that business oriented machines are not normally graphics powerhouses. There are always exceptions.

Mark

Yes, the same with consumer machines. Most are for the basic web/text work.

And to be honest. Photo editing is a business use. The professional photographer is the main target for Adobe, DXO l, etc. So in this business, a PC with a GPU is already mainstream for many years

This is great. At first, I didn’t have this update showing as available for my Nvidia GTX-1070, but then I noticed that I was using the gaming drivers and not the studio drivers. Now with that corrected I have this update and it cut my processing time more than half.
Before the update, exporting an iso6400 CR3 file from my Canon EOS R as a 16 bit Tiff took 53 seconds. The same file using the exact same export settings only took 23 seconds after updating the driver to the newest version of the Studio driver.

2 Likes

Hi,
you can use both installed and switch between Studio and game

the interesting part starts at 1:10
have fun

2 Likes

I’m guessing you have some sort of entry-level GPU in there, that already 5x improvement if not more for DeepPrime.

The old ‘Prime’ algorithm could make use of a GPU, but not that good or not that much. DeepPrime can make good use of a GPU and it shows in every computer/laptop that has more than a little integrated Intel HD chip.

SSD can make massive differences in ‘feel’ in day to day use (how snappy it feels) but won’t have much effect on calculation times like this.

That being said, my +/- 2017/2018 desktop computer with a main-stream GPU in there (8 core, 16 threads, gtx1060, SSD, 16gb ram, etc…) is being outclassed by my 13" little laptop / tablet with 14 cores / 20 threads cores and a 35watt rtx 3050ti.

In games, in DxO, in day to day feel.

Things do get better, but you mostly notice that on the entry-level stuff and the low-power stuff :).

As far as I know ‘there is no difference’, it’s just the release schedule.

Fixes / improvements that appear in the game-ready-driver will also show up in the studio-driver, and vice-versa.

It will not ‘mix settings’ or whatever it’s said in this movie.
It’s just, if a brand new game comes out with ‘experimental fixes / improvements’ for that game, there will be a new game-ready-driver. But they will not do a studio-driver because there is no new studio-level software.

The same the other way around.

What’s wrong in this video, is the toggle he highlights, only is in effect when checking and downloading new drivers. It will NOT switch the driver instantly to the other one. It will only affect which version is used for checking for new drivers, and which you want to download.

But, like I said, there is no real difference between them. The only difference is ‘oh, there is a fix for DxO and nothing else? We will make a new studio driver and we will not bother the gamers’.
‘Oh, there is a brand new game coming and we have improvements for it? We will make a new game-ready driver, and the studio-folk who do not care can just ignore this update’.

But whatever fix they did for DxO in the current studio driver, will be included in the next game-ready-driver.

Or, to say it in other words: There are no two drivers, there is only one. There is only one version number. They just label it ‘a studio driver’ or ‘a game driver’ depending on what kind of fixes/improvements are in the changelog.

Hello,
im just in my decision to buy a 2060 or 3060 and checked all informations I can get, and also there is a article by Nvidia
"How do Studio Drivers differ from Game Ready Drivers (GRD)?
In 2014, NVIDIA created the Game Ready Driver program to provide the best day-0 gaming experience. In order to accomplish this, the release cadence for Game Ready Drivers is driven by the release of major new game content giving our driver team as much time as possible to work on a given title. In similar fashion, NVIDIA now offers the Studio Driver program. Designed to provide the ultimate in functionality and stability for creative applications, Studio Drivers provide extensive testing against top creative applications and workflows for the best performance possible, and support any major creative app updates to ensure that you are ready to update any apps on Day 1.
I am both a gamer and a creator. Which driver should I install?
All NVIDIA drivers provide full features and application support for top games and creative applications.

• If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Drivers.
  • If you are a content creator who prioritizes stability and quality for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and live-streaming, choose Studio Drivers.

While you can only install one driver at a time, switching is easy! Within GeForce Experience, click the menu (three vertical dots in the top right corner) to reveal a toggle and select the driver of your choice."

How the drivers differ in detail? And as I said im just in beginning of my Nvidia life :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I learned something new today.

I have always used Game Ready Drivers in these past 6 years, both for gaming and for photographic work. Nothing to complain.

@mwsilvers
Preciselly and then you still have to buy a powerful graphics card and they are not exactly cheap so that’s why it might be a better idea to go for a ready made gaming computer with a good graphics card they sell in pretty large volums to reasonable prices despite you aren’t buying it to play games. I got mine for a very goid price.

1 Like

I used the game driver as well for the last couple of years or so. But, I reduced my processing time to half of what it was with the gaming driver by simply switching to the studio driver. So, if you do a lot of processing of images, it might be worth it to try the studio driver.

1 Like

@jorismak

I think there might be two distinct different paths to go here. Either you are sitting with a pretty slow older machine with an older type of GPU and find you can benefit quite a lot just by upgrading your drivers for free

Or

…you can upgrade to a much more powerful Windows gaming computer or a M1 Mac and get a really remarkable performance boost that is not for free at all but might still be worth it a lot.

My old computer was crashed by the movers who moved my stuff when I a moved to an other place, so I had really no choise but buying something new. I also had seen that my old Windows 10 machine was a dead not upgradable end since it wasn’t compatible with Windows 11. So my choise wasn’t really a hard one and I haven’t regretted upgrading for one second. In fact I ought to have upgraded earlier.

@bconner
Is there anyone that has tried to step up the number of simultaneously images processed with DP or DPXD when you now gave increased your ower all processing efficiency? Is there even more to gain there when exporting big batches of images?

That there’s improvements in the latest Studio driver for DXO over the latest game driver. Maybe I should have made this coment to Lucabeer instead of you.

Actually, PRIME processing has never made use of a graphics card’s GPU.

Mark

I could swear I would see my gpu usage jump to 15% while rendering.

Maybe that was just the progress indicator:)

This was confirmed by DxO when DeepPRIME was developed for PhotoLab 4 Elite. I believe that one of the reasons that PRIME still exists in PhotoLab is for use by those who do not have a graphics card capable of supporting DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD. Without graphics card support, noise reduction is processed using the CPU only. DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD can be extremely slow when processing using just the CPU.

Mark

Geforce 3060…no improvement.

It may already be optimized.

I got excited about this but saw no improvement in render times using DPXD, it was actually a little slower. I repeated several times, was always about 1s slower. No big deal still fast enough for me. Laptop with rtx2070. Deeprime takes 6s. But i find XD to be sharper and cleaner.