I'm a bit embarrassed but

I’ve searched until I can’t search anymore and it appears that I just don’t “get” the fundamental views in PhotoLab. My kingdom to get away from the intrusive borders. I want to get a "full view: when needed. Also when straightening horizons the borders appear to be fixed and it just winds up tilting my photos awkwardly left or right on those fixed borders. As it is I have to straighten my pics in another editor and then import them to PhotoLab.

I’m sure I’ll be embarrassed by the solution(s) but could someone help?

When you say intrusive borders, do you mean the palettes and the image browser? Are you on a PC? Did you try using the F11 key or the full screen button to the left of the fit to screen button on the top icon bar? Nor sure what you mean regarding fixed borders when straightening the horizons. Perhaps you can post an image of the workspace using prt scr. Do you have the Elite version or the Essential version?

Mark

in addition to the questions from Mark I just want to make sure you also had a look at this: http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/index.html#0_Sommaire

Sigi

2 Likes

And this:
http://help-photolab.dxo.com/en/home

1 Like

Ok folks thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. I got it :slight_smile: Too easy. Just different from what I’d grown accustom to.

Told ya I’d be embarrassed.

Thanks all,

-Don

2 Likes

There’s no reason to be embarrassed. I’m glad you were able to figure it out.

Mark

1 Like

Indeed - we are all here to learn!

1 Like

Hello Joseph,

the DXO Academy is also useful to learn.

Sigi

1 Like

Hey Joseph. The first trick to enjoying PhotoLab is to use it on the biggest screen possible. PhotoLab is 4K aware so if you acquire a 4K monitor (some decent sRGB ones don’t cost much more than PhotoLab these days), you can have the interface at normal size (HDPI/Retina in Mac talk: say 2560 virtual pixels wide instead of the 3820 real pixels) with the image showing real pixels.

The second key is much easier: switch often between zoom to fit (command-0) and 100% (command-1). I also use PhotoLab on a MBP 17" and there I’m switching back and forth very often.

The third key is not to try to do image evaluation/culling in PhotoLab. It’s much too slow switching between images and creating previews for this kind of fast-paced work. I use FastRawViewer (all of $15) for this. Others here use other software like iMatch.

What PhotoLab is really good at it helping a photographer create very high quality images from his or her RAW files, with lens correction, excellent sharpening and contrast tools and best of class noise reduction. If you’re a Canon shooter like me, you’ll enjoy two more stops of usable ISO (my limits: I can happily shoot to 6400 or 12800 with PhotoLab on the front end where 3200 is the outer limit with other software).

Unless you are someone who only shoots digital like film (rolls of 24), bringing all of your images into PhotoLab will be frustrating. I do all my pre-selection in FastRawViewer from an event (hundreds of images), move something like 36 selects into a folder and point PhotoLab at that folder. While processing I’ll throw away another ten or twelve and end up with 24 to 30 images prepped for publication.