Icon in RAW Preview Pane After Uninstall of Trial - Windows 10

After uninstalling the free trial of Photolab 3, I’m left with this icon in my Windows file explorer preview pane. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance,
Newton

Hi,
I believe that the Canon Professional Digital Photo logo, maybe it comes from there ?

That is not a PhotoLab icon.

Mark

1 Like

Hello @Newton-A and welcome to the forum,

As guys have already told you above - this is not a PhotoLab logo.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thanks to all for replying.
Please note that in my OP, I never said it was a PL3 logo :slight_smile:, but that it appeared after the uninstall of the trial. @Franky, I’ve used DPP for years, and it has never attached an icon to my RAW previews.
Since it took so long to get my post “approved”, I’ve had time to try some things. After the initial uninstall using windows uninstaller, and saw the mystery icon, I manually scrubbed the registry and HDD (I know my way around in that rabbit hole), which didn’t work, and trust me, there were a lot of DxO leftovers (remnants). I reinstalled the trial and the icon went away, so I used it a bit, and then used Revo uninstaller to remove it and any remnants. That worked to rid the mystery icon for about an hour, but oddly, it popped back down there. So, I once again installed PL3 trial, and the icon went away. I’ve left the trial installed. I suspect the program has made a call to one of Windows stock icons. The thumbnails look fine, it’s just the above icon in the lower right of all RAW files only. So, I hope you can see why I think that PL3 is responsible in some way. Three installs and two uninstalls with the same results of the icon coming and going.
Once again, thanks to all for reading.

Newton

Sorry for the difficulties you are having. Did you have a chance to fully evaluate PhotoLab’s capabilities before uninstalling? Like any post processing software application, it won’t meet everyone’s requirements. However I found it to be quite good from the first time I used it, It quickly replaced Lightroom as my raw converted/processor over two years ago and I’ve never regretted it.

Mark

Yes, Mark, I have evaluated it and really like it so far. Initially, I was frustrated with the layout, hence the first uninstall, but after the last install, found settings and features that I needed and was able to set it up to my liking. I already own several RAW editors but am always on the hunt for something reasonably priced, yet does everything that I need without hopping from app to app for specific features. I had already read reviews and watched several current youtube tutorials, and in fact, was trying to purchase from DxO’s page but the transaction would never complete so I could download. That is how I ended up with the trial.
Like any software, you just have to relearn where features are placed and sometimes what those features are called, different apps use their own lingo so to speak, pulldowns might not have the same options from app to app, etc. I did download the PL3 manual in pdf format, so that helped. When all else fails, read the manual. :grinning:

Newton

Hello @Newton-A,

• This is really strange and we haven’t faced such an issue before.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thank you, Svetlana.
I’ve never seen it happen either, with any application, and I’m a tech.

Thank you for your attention,
Newton

1 Like

This looks like Windows Explorer is “removing” its current associated application (PL3?) for the file type you are using and replacing it with the DPP icon as the closest match it can find.

See if this article is of any help.

And this article talks about showing or hiding the app icon on thumbnails

In any case, I doubt this was caused by PhotoLab