How would you treat those pic

Hi Dxo Community,

was wondering if we could improve skills on DxO by sharing treatments on some pics. Can i propose a challenge of those 2 pictures ? (one with bracketing)
_1087050.RW2 (23,0 Mo) _1087051.RW2 (23,1 Mo) _1087052.RW2 (23,1 Mo) _1087063.RW2 (23,1 Mo)

Proposal: Set your default preset to “NoCorrection” and apply a flat color rendering. Improving skills means to learn to work with the tools you have = PhotoLab + Images.

You can also find hints here

I’m not sure why you bracketed. I used the middle image and only had minimal clipping, which was correctable. Anyway, here are my efforts :

1 Like

I’ve got no full treatment of your pictures but just wanted to share an idea how to use the HSL tool on autumn pictures like these: By selecting a color range that includes all greens, yellows and oranges and then reducing the uniformity slider the hues of the leaves can be improved very easily:

At Uniformity -50 the effect is too strong for this picture, but you get the idea.
I’ve added this also to my shared presets at https://github.com/calle2010/PhotoLabPresets because it turned out to be useful for a lot of similar pictures.

2 Likes

Hi,
I alway’s like this kind of playing around.
Only before i take a shot i like to know your view of it.
You where there life and has a mental picture which you like to replicate i think.
So present your images and tell us what is not succeded in your effort.

If i just go with it it’s just a take of my idea of what i would like.

Peter

Great job Joanna ! Would you mind sharing you.dop ?

When i took the shot the highlights were blinking that is why i bracketed. I know it is the Jpg histogram that the camera shows, so i shoot +.5V after first blinks, but i thought it was risky not to bracket. When i went out to this location there was a great sunshine, and then quickly clouds and rain came.

thanks for the “uniformity” tip. Not something i was using so much

My own interpretation (my screen is not calibrated)
_1087051.RW2.dop (43,8 Ko) _1087063.RW2.dop (11,3 Ko)

Struggling with the branch of the first pic, and haze in the second. Used uniformity tip from @Calle to try on the second pic.

Hi
Hoped to go to this location to chase fall colors with a bright sunshine, but clouds and rain arrived quickly. Sometimes a ray of sunshine went through the clouds. Made the sky more interesting but light less so.
pic on the bridge : very slight rain made somekind of haze.

Hi, i shall take a go tomorrow. My first impressoin of the two.
Valley, first, the interesting part of the sky is just above the horizon. And the curved line of the stream point to that and in the distance a new curve.
Second, bridge, and the shape the trees form around the bridge.
I think i would use those things to use as “nail” to hang the picture on.

Your exports of the rawfiles,
Somehow i find the valley to darkisch too saturated but still “flat” no eyecatcher.
My eye go’s to the left front branch, leafs left corner and then a run to the darkgreen foilage. wile it could drawn more to the back.( i sleep over this. :grin:)
The bridge,
There is a sort of symmetrie which needs to be enlarged.
The angle of view, framing, i think there where distractions just out the frame.
Because it’s just a tadd too narrow. (has nothing to do with the editing but that’s what i would think when i was at home reviewing my catches.)

So i think i would workaround this and try to atrack the focus extra to the centre to lead the eye away from that framing thing.
The redisch tree left is a second eye drawn and behind the bridge on the right is his sister. The form of the water place, the bridge and those two tree’s that would be my primary subject’s. I think.
Need to play with to see if it works.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

_1087051.RW2.dop (13,6 Ko)_1087063.RW2.dop (12,8 Ko)

1 Like

Good idea, almost a challenge, to get other members to work on these images. Here’s what I did (it looks very different from the others). The dop files are also attached._1087051.RW2.dop (11,7 Ko)

_1087063.RW2.dop (11,3 Ko)

Have a nice day. Andre

1 Like

ok i atacked it as i should with my images.
1 view in FRV. see if there is reason of problems in recovery. (my playroom) too dark or too bright. edge detection/sharpnes/dof that kind of thing.
exposure testing:

So this is my choice:

camera was right :wink:
other image:

step 2:
basic “my preset” and some tweaking not much:

it’s moody dark but fully visible like your eye’s would see.
_1087051.RW2.dop (22,0 KB)
my take with some tweaking on local points to balance the image and give it more detailed punch.

(i have with and without birds for viewing)

ok the flat image.
i like the fall colors and the bridge. and i hoped i managed to create that view you watched and decided to take the shot.
maybe it’s a bit to saturated/sharpened/dramaticbut it centres your view to the bridge and tree’s around it.
_1087063.RW2.dop (11,5 KB)
i have made a “as shot” and a cloudy Wb so more sunny look. (less blue)

Few minuts work.
oh and i envy you a PL50-200… arghhhh, i can affort it but not justify it… (and the 45-200mmii is eh don’t ask. :wink:)
pl12-60, l14-140mm, l100-300mmii, pl15mm f1.7.
i was thinking ok then the 35-100mmii f2.8 instead… :drooling_face: but my bag is “full” so no go at this time… unless they trow it in my face for a bargan… :sweat_smile:

Peter

3 Likes

I have only used Photolab 3 as my main editor for the last month, so I still feel quite new to it. (This is my first attempt to share an image, so I hope it works!)

Here is my attempt - I also used the middle of the bracketed shots.

My screen is calibrated.

Edit: Just to add I down sized these a lot but I notice some of you have large files - is there no limit on this forum? These look more punchy on my computer than they do on here.

!
_1087051.RW2.dop (12.5 KB)
_1087063_DxO|666x500
_1087063.RW2.dop (13.0 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Folks and congratulations ! Interesting to see that a same picture can give different interpretations, especially on the bridge one.
I can’t open .DOP from Bebop. Neither from PL4 or PL3. Are u on Mac ? (but i think Joanna is also, aren’t you Joanna ?)

Thanks Peter for having taken the time. I see you are an expert in FRV ! I use it also but have a lot to learn about it yet.
I love the 50-200 mm, solid in the hand, quite sharp (especially at 5.6, which however can not produce lovely bokeh at lower range, for instance for a portrait). Not as sharp as my Oly 45mm 1.2 though.
I use it a lot for proxyphoto also, or macro with Raynox bonnet.

No expert, i know the buttons and setup due reading the manual.
You can setup the G9 's Dynamic Range so it has more acruate readout.
I use [usm] to look at the sharpnes/focus and use [egde detection] red and detail green to see if it’s in focus and for which part.
Then i use over and under exposure blinkies wile shadow boost or highlight recovery.
The raw Histogram shows you the under or overexposure level. Using exposure you can see how much headroom you have before clipping.

All and all it’s a great culling application. And as bonus it gives you a lead how to handle the rawfile in dxopl.

Enjoy your set , g9 and pl50-200mm, what more do you want? :grin:
I am happy with my g80 it’s 16Mp but quite nice no need to upgrade with this DeepPrime… :sweat_smile:

Okay, let’s howl with the wolves…

_1087050.RW2.dop (15.2 KB)

_1087063.RW2.dop (12.8 KB)

3 Likes

Love the B&W !

Yes I am on a Mac. This was in Photolab 3. I have just downloaded a trial of 4 and have been having a play this evening.