How to use PhotoLab on multiple Apple Computers

I think we’ve settled on several good ways to configure our computer systems, in a way that is compatible with PL5.

I’ve got an unusual question - I suspect the answer is “absolutely not”. I’ll ask anyway. In addition to my computers, I’ve been buying mobile phones that fit into my life nicely, and for me, that’s the iPhone, currently an iPhone 11. So many people have told me how much an iPad works for them, that I was wondering what the big deal was, and when I was given a (somewhat damaged) 2018 iPac Pro, I got it fixed up to where it’s useable. There is no chance that PhotoLab will ever run under iOS, but since I now am able to plug in my camera’s memory card with a card reader, and transfer the images onto the iPad, there may actually be a way to make use of this.

Any of you do this? If so, any advice or suggestions? To me, the iPad is the most frustrating device that I own, but it must be good for more than just using it as an overgrown iPhone?

Traveling those last years before « C », I usually took along an iPad and used it to review the shots of the day and share a few shots with friends using shared albums on iCloud. Tugging along my 27in iMac was no option.

I set my camera to record RAW plus a jpeg of half the linear dimensions (e.g. 3000x2000 instead of 6000x4000). Copied the jpegs to the iPad and edited them (if wanted) with Snapseed before posting. I’d also delete missed shots from the cards the same day.

I use comparatively small CF cards of 32GB, but take along a bunch of them, also to reduce cost and the risk of losing everything, after all, memory cards can fail. I often buy new cards (Lexar or SanDisk). This simple concept has worked out for me so far.

This is so true. It could be so much better!

I suspect this should have been a new thread…

I use an iPad Pro with a proper keyboard when travelling, but I got it just before covid hit so I haven’t used it as much as I expected. I use Mylio as my DAM (it’s cross-platform and fast), and Mylio will import the raws directly from my camera cards on the iPad. I rename the images, rate and cull then set captions, keywords and locations on the keepers before I forget the details, all in Mylio. Mylio only has a very basic image editor, so I don’t try to optimise the images during the trip. If I needed to do that, I’d use Lightroom for the iPad. After doing all this, which verifies that the images were read correctly from the card, I also copy the raws to a 1TB external SSD before clearing the camera cards.

When I get home, Mylio automatically replicates the originals to my iMac and M1 Mac Mini using the local wifi - it doesn’t go via the internet unless it has to. I then use PL to optimise the images on my Mac Mini (because it is so much faster than the iMac), and check the exported results as they replicate back to Mylio on my iMac (because it has a much better screen - the Mac Mini has a calibrated but cheap 27-inch 4k screen). Mylio on the iPad is able to remove the originals once they have replicated, and it retains reduced-size previews.

The iPad remains frustrating because of the OS limitations, and now that the newest M1 MacBook Pro has an SD card reader, I expect I will replace the iPad with one of those if significant travel resumes in 2022; then I will be able to use PL to optimise images while travelling.

I hope that’s clear enough!