How to use PhotoLab on multiple Apple Computers

@KeithRJ , @jch2103 and @George and anyone else who hasn’t lost interest, I have been repeating the test where the files are held on a NAS (in this case machine S being accessed by T and M running PL5) to see why it appears to work if the application is run only on one machine at any time but with the database running local to the copy of PL5 i.e. machines T and M have their own copy of the database.

The photo files and associated DOPs and ‘xmp’ sidecars are held on the disks of S. I was monitoring the Uuid of interest while opening on one machine and then another and then the same a number of times just to mix it up a bit and the Uuid of interest simply did not change throughout the test. That is more than enough for today (almost yesterday).

Dear @sgospodarenko
did you know if DOP Files are compatible between the OSes, or if they will be in nearer future?
And maybe someone of DXO could moderate this post?

Thanks and enjoy the week

Guenter

Günter, you have both win and mac platforms. Why not test what you get? Or post two files?

1 Like

As far as I know from a while ago, some of us have exchanged DOP files and they were compatible, but it would be good to check that it is still the case.

Hallo platypus,

that is basically a good idea, but the tests would be quite extensive and exceed my possible time expenditure for a purchase software.
I would actually expect DXO to make clear and reliable statements about this.
I don’t want to test, for example, with 60% of the possibilities, then work with a clear conscience for a few weeks and then catch a function that produces errors, and I get annoyed.
There are a few other things that I find progressively not good.
This morning, for example, I installed V5 on my main computer under Windows in addition to an already installed V4. Of course only after I created a current backup of the V4 :smiley:
What would be so difficult that the installation routine of the V5 recognises an existing V4 and then gives me the option via query to possibly remember the V4, or also immediately gives the option to select for DB and cache directories. I know that the versions are separated in the user profile, but then you first have to start the V5, change the settings in the preferences (which is not possible with MAC) in order to be able to work.
Certainly complaining on a high level, but why not :innocent:
For me the time of image processing starts now, so there is no time for testing.

Edit: And together with DXO we should work to prevent from this events Lost all ratings in PhotoLab Elite 5.1.0 ??? - #3 by RKyburz

1 Like

Absolutely!

Compared the sidecars written by Win (thanks, @Guenterm) vs. Mac…

• The structure of the files is the same
  • WIN files have more “Base” settings and many more “Overrides” than MAC files
  • Number of lines are different, Win files have additional 90 lines, some of which results from putting closed brackets and following commas on separate lines (which is irrelevant)
  • Settings in MAC sidecars are ordered alphabetically, in WIN files, things look randomly scattered

Summary: The sidecars use a structure that makes them interoperable for WIN and MAC versions of PL. Due to different entries, mostly in the “Overrides” section and the tests I’ve run, I can say that the files are still different and that “ping-ponging” files between Mac and Win versions of PL might result in some information loss. There are enough differences between those PL versions to make me shrug away the differences though.

As for MAC sidecars, they look like being able to be a backup of database entries including IPTC and keyword entries, but not for history. Nevertheless, delete the database at your own risk.

I used to have this problem. I spend a few months every year in France and the rest of the time in the United States. I had an iMac in both places and a laptop; twice a year, I would make a clone of one of my iMacs and take it with me when traveling to the other one. This is a pain in the neck for reasons that go well beyond PhotoLab, so after several years of working like this, I sold both my iMacs and replaced them with good displays. I then replaced my 2017 MacBook Pro with one of the new October 2021 models with plenty of storage. Now all my data is always wherever I am. Problem solved: I can work in either place as well as on the road. Not the cheapest way of going about it, but incredibly simple and convenient. Plus, it also solves the problem for those software titles that don’t give you three seats as I only need one.

3 Likes

Suggestion - check out the Mac Mini, either with Intel chip (save $$) or the new Mac chip (newer). It’s 8" square, and an inch high, and has as much power as you want. Mine has 1TB of flash drive, lot of RAM, and does everything I want - except ports. I bought a port extender which I plug the Mini into, which solved that issue.

I bought a nice Logitech mouse and keyboard, both with Bluetooth. You would need two of each, for both your locations.

I don’t think you understood what problem I wanted to solve, because with two Mac minis the issue of carting data back and forth across the ocean would have been exactly the same as with my two iMacs. Aside from that, I’m not looking for solutions as I have already purchased my 14" McBook Pro (M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 4 TB SSD). Everything is now in one machine, I have displays with mouse and keyboard in both locations, and I can easily work on the road if I want to or have to. The Mac mini is a great machine, but it doesn’t address my needs of portability and avoiding carrying data from location to location.

No, I meant ONE Mini. You would un-plug it from one location, and carry it with you to the other.

The Laptop is essential for this, but you used to have both a laptop and an iMac - my suggestion was just to replace two iMacs with one Mini, along with two each of display, keyboard, and mouse.

and don’t forget the 27" screen to pu into your luggage :rofl: :joy:

He already has one of these in each location, if I understand him correctly:

Humor is a gift :innocent:

I guess I’m not very good at humor. I started to write something humorous, but on a whim, did a search, and found this:
Roll-up computer screen

Time to stop thinking, turn off my computer, and go out for a nice walk, followed by cooking a nice dinner, with a nice glass of wine, and freshly ground and brewed coffee.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.45.26 PM

(…and a big thank-you to everyone responding about these things, as you all saved me from a lot of un-necessary work.)

You are most welcome, Mike!

About 6 years ago I stopped using a home PC and replaced it with a powerful laptop as I do a lot of traveling and always take it with me to process my photos. I have never looked back!

I purchased an external 1Tb SSD for my photos which works great. When I get home I plug in my external monitor and I now have a full workstation and I do not need to copy photos to another computer. The only thing I do is backup to another hard drive which goes in my fireproof safe (I use a USB disk caddy for that so the I can have multiple backups for myself and my wife).

This setup has served me well for many years.

For those interested, I recently purchased an MSI Creator z16 laptop (Core i9, 32Gb RAM) https://au.msi.com/Content-Creation/Creator-Z16-A11UX and I can happily say that it performs wonderfully even with DeepPrime and would highly recommend it.

I think we’ve settled on several good ways to configure our computer systems, in a way that is compatible with PL5.

I’ve got an unusual question - I suspect the answer is “absolutely not”. I’ll ask anyway. In addition to my computers, I’ve been buying mobile phones that fit into my life nicely, and for me, that’s the iPhone, currently an iPhone 11. So many people have told me how much an iPad works for them, that I was wondering what the big deal was, and when I was given a (somewhat damaged) 2018 iPac Pro, I got it fixed up to where it’s useable. There is no chance that PhotoLab will ever run under iOS, but since I now am able to plug in my camera’s memory card with a card reader, and transfer the images onto the iPad, there may actually be a way to make use of this.

Any of you do this? If so, any advice or suggestions? To me, the iPad is the most frustrating device that I own, but it must be good for more than just using it as an overgrown iPhone?

Traveling those last years before « C », I usually took along an iPad and used it to review the shots of the day and share a few shots with friends using shared albums on iCloud. Tugging along my 27in iMac was no option.

I set my camera to record RAW plus a jpeg of half the linear dimensions (e.g. 3000x2000 instead of 6000x4000). Copied the jpegs to the iPad and edited them (if wanted) with Snapseed before posting. I’d also delete missed shots from the cards the same day.

I use comparatively small CF cards of 32GB, but take along a bunch of them, also to reduce cost and the risk of losing everything, after all, memory cards can fail. I often buy new cards (Lexar or SanDisk). This simple concept has worked out for me so far.

This is so true. It could be so much better!

I suspect this should have been a new thread…

I use an iPad Pro with a proper keyboard when travelling, but I got it just before covid hit so I haven’t used it as much as I expected. I use Mylio as my DAM (it’s cross-platform and fast), and Mylio will import the raws directly from my camera cards on the iPad. I rename the images, rate and cull then set captions, keywords and locations on the keepers before I forget the details, all in Mylio. Mylio only has a very basic image editor, so I don’t try to optimise the images during the trip. If I needed to do that, I’d use Lightroom for the iPad. After doing all this, which verifies that the images were read correctly from the card, I also copy the raws to a 1TB external SSD before clearing the camera cards.

When I get home, Mylio automatically replicates the originals to my iMac and M1 Mac Mini using the local wifi - it doesn’t go via the internet unless it has to. I then use PL to optimise the images on my Mac Mini (because it is so much faster than the iMac), and check the exported results as they replicate back to Mylio on my iMac (because it has a much better screen - the Mac Mini has a calibrated but cheap 27-inch 4k screen). Mylio on the iPad is able to remove the originals once they have replicated, and it retains reduced-size previews.

The iPad remains frustrating because of the OS limitations, and now that the newest M1 MacBook Pro has an SD card reader, I expect I will replace the iPad with one of those if significant travel resumes in 2022; then I will be able to use PL to optimise images while travelling.

I hope that’s clear enough!