How to use PhotoLab on multiple Apple Computers

Yes, you have, and what’s left of my brain cells have given up on this idea completely. I’ll just use both computers, to access whatever files I have stored on each.

I’d rather use my remaining brain cells to improve my skills with PL5. :slight_smile:
Everyone else, please ignore my last two posts.
DxO, please make this easy and effortless. Eventually. :slight_smile:

Working with PhotoLab on more than one computer can a) be done or b) get you an incredible mess.
Let’s see how we can do a) without the b)…starting with your saying that you use PL for customising only.

Work consistently (Hub / Spoke model)

• Keep all your images in one structure, using something like the example shown below
    Photos > YYYY > YYYY-MM-DD Occasion > YYYY-MM-DD Occasion Details

• Make one computer the “HUB”, e.g. the one with the big, calibrated screen,
    while the other computer will be the “SPOKE”

• While traveling, copy new images, on SPOKE, to the appropriate place,
    create branches (YYYY-MM-DD Occasion > YYYY-MM-DD Occasion Details) if necessary

• While traveling, only work new images, LEAVE ALL OTHER IMAGES ALONE

• When back home, copy new branches, on HUB, to the appropriate place

Spraying new images all over SPOKE and customising (on SPOKE) images in older branches will inevitably lead to a mess that will take a lot of time to sort out and that might also produce some loss in effort you put in your images.

Work consistently (Peer mode)
If you really want two (or more) computers to work as peers, things are getting complicated, as you’ll have to synchronise the computers on a regular basis. PhotoLab has nothing to support that yet.
Forget peer mode! Note: I can say this because that’s what I tried with my iMac (HUB) and MacBook Air (Spoke) computers. I use Spoke for testing mostly and for those rare cases when I really want to have it with me. Still, Spoke will be deleted regularly, which makes it less of a peer. Don’t try to use peer mode, unless you’re comfortable with having disparate collections in several places (like mixing knives, spoons, forks, pans and dishes in the same drawer)

Yikes! That’s still complicated :crazy_face:

But you are absolutely right. Most of this mess is caused by being obliged to use the PL database as well as DOP files and, when you import files with DOPs from one computer to another, PL tries to reconcile the database and the DOPs and ends up creating total confusion, usually accompanied by a plethora of virtual copies for those “versions” it deems irreconcilable.

Please DxO, this needs addressing as using more than one computer is becoming more and more common.

1 Like

Interestingly, no one has opened a feature request for that stuff yet…

I use a NAS and 2 pc. I synchronize the pc’s with the NAS. This way I’ve all the images on both pc’s and the NAS. Not the perfect solution, but it works for me.
I’m on Windows.

George

1 Like

PhotoLab Sync Feature Request: Vote!

I’m still new to DxO’s structures. My Capture One “catalogs” (databases) are on an external TB3 SSD. They grow while my internal SSD doesn’t and I cannot exchange it. I’m currently reading where the DxO database is stored as I also want it to be somewhere else than in the application support folder. Like @platypus I also use a MacBook Air with a 1TB external SSD when abroad and so far I just copied the folders to my RAID after arriving home. That contains DOP and maybe XMP files (if I like to add GPS or keywords). So far that worked and until I know better I didn’t try to merge databases.

Only copying the image folders can get you issues like the following: Add a setting, which will then disappear when you open the image on the other computer. Such effects can be caused by how and when PL reads or writes sidecar files. New files will be read first (imo), but older, reworked files can get messed up through overwriting new settings with old ones from the database.

Automatic sync of .dop and .xmp sidecars can make sense, but there is no way (yet) to tell PhotoLab when to to which action. We’d need settings (or popup questions) like “overwrite old settings/keywords/metadata” or “preserve old settings/keywords/metadata” that let us choose which source of information is the one we currently trust.

One way to control the above is, to disable automatic r/w of sidecar files and manage the actions ourselves.

This may or may not be helpful to others. I think it will allow me to copy folders from my laptop onto my desktop in an organized way. I’ve opened the “Finder” tool on my desktop computer, and it shows only my photos since December 2021 currently on my desktop.

Way at the left I have the Apple folder PICTURES. In my first column to the right of PICTURES I created a folder _2021 December (for work that I will be creating this month).

Next column shows all the folders inside of the _2021 December folder. The folder name is created by PhotoMechanic when I ingest new photos, with folder names in the format year-month-day-short description (as was suggested in this forum).

I clicked on the last entry in that column, and the folder to the right of that column shows the contents of that folder I clicked on, in which PhotoMechanic automatically renames the files as file-number-year-month-day-filetype.

Here’s a screen capture:

My latest plan is to use PhotoMechanic on all my computers to “ingest” photos from my memory cards, re-naming folders and files in the above formats.

Moving ahead, to the topic of this discussion, I hope I can COPY everything I captured last week on my MacBook Pro, which is currently stored in a _2021 December folder on that computer, and PASTE it into the _2021 December folder on my desktop.

As for Using PhotoLab with two computers, I’ll wait until DxO comes up with a proper solution.

In January next year, I’ll be creating a folder named _2022 January, and that’s where photos taken in January 2022 will go.

(I think my computer will show things alphabetically, meaning February will be above January, but I don’t see that as a major problem.)

I rely only on XMP and DOP files and set PL to automatically write to these files. I can then copy my photos along with these sidecar files to a central location when returning from an excursion. I occasionally delete my database to keep things tidy and speedy.

If I need to manage more than what is in the sidecar files I will use my DAM (Photo Mechanic Plus) on a subset of my photos.

I did buy the Photo Mechanic Plus, intending to eventually use it for DAM, but I need to learn how to set that up. Eventually I’ll get around to it.

I have never deleted my PhotoLab to delete its database deliberately, but I think between PL3 and PL4 the installation program did this, if I remember correctly. How often should I do it, and for that matter, how do I tell PL5 to do it safely?

Thanks - my “central location” will be either on the main drive of my Mac Mini, or perhaps on an external high speed drive. In that case, I’ll be asking here about what type of drive would be best to buy.

@mikemyers I am a Windows 10 user not a Mac user but I believe both versions use an SQLite database and I have written at great length (sorry big posts appear to be a habit of mine) about the issues of the wrong DOP meeting the right (or wrong) database entry Unwanted virtual copies - #86 by BHAYT.

If a database is oblivious to a particular Photo in a particular directory/folder it will absorb/ingest/import the DOP automatically based upon the ‘Preferences’ for handling sidecars (DOPs) or when manually directed to ‘Import’ the sidecar (if you manually import you will always wind up with a Virtual Copy - the photo before the import counts as the [M]aster and the import becomes copy [1]). If it has never seen that photo before then all should be O.K…

If the database has “seen” that photo before, i.e there is a database entry for that exact photo in that exact directory (currently PL does not check and start matching up the same photo filename regardless of the directory as some other products do! at least on a PC) then a check swings into place that will determine the fate of the attached DOP, but PL5 will protect the sanctity of both the database entry and the incoming DOP at all costs.

The field is the Uuid just behind ‘ShouldProcess’ as shown below

there will be a similar Uuid for all copies held in the DOP. I haven’t run a test were one of the photos [M] or [VC] matches the database and the other(s) doesn’t (don’t) but certainly a mismatch between the [M] Uuid and the database is going to start the creation of Virtual Copies!

So the only way to import successfully, regardless of what media you use or whether you access the original photo across a LAN (I have done that with some success but only by dividing the exports between two systems and then …) once a Uuid is allocated that will not/does not match the system you are going to import it into there will be Virtual Copies; you can escape this fate by ensuring that there is no corresponding entry in the database you are importing into, i.e. by throwing away the database so there won’t be a problem!!!

If you doubt the above the test is simple;

1. Edit a photo in PL5
  2. Open the DOP in a text editor and change the last digit in the Uuid I identified above, i.e. in my example change the 3 to a 0 and then save the DOP file.
  3. In my tests PL5 has picked up the change instantly and I have a shining new Virtual Copy to play with (whether I wanted one of not)!!

I have “moaned” about the fact that the VCs cannot be promoted to [M] status etc., there is much that DxO could do to help manage the fall-out from this situation but that is in the future perhaps. Things might be simpler of more complex on a Mac but the above comes from many tests that I have run on a PC.

Hi @mikemyers, if you look in the preferences you will find a setting where you can specify a location for your database. Note down this location then close PL. Go to that location in Finder and delete the files you see there. There should be no other files other than the database files (2 or 3 files?). Now you can start PL and a new clean database will be created automatically.

I delete my database about once a month but it is a personal choice as to how often. The more directories and photos you view in PL the more data is stored in the database.

PMP is quite complex program but once you get used to it you will find it very useful. The great thing about it is it can have multiple databases and you have complete control over what is stored in the databases as well as how they are used (read/write, read-only or not used). You can search all databases too or just selected databases.

Hope this helps.

The database files can be found here:

Instead of “macadmin” you’ll see your user account name :wink:

Note that deleting the database will obliterate everything you have done and not saved to sidecar files.

Hi Bryan, I agree with your assessment and can confirm that the database is indeed SQLite.

I think the aim of DxO is to store all PL specific details on DOP files and the database. All other standards-based data in XMP files and the database. Currently this is not quite the case as some data like keywords and ratings are still stored on DOP files and I suspect is often ignored. This has caused confusion on these forums at times but I hope DxO will fix this soon.

I made the suggestion that DOP files should ONLY contain PL-specific data and other common data stored in XMP files (and database). This should make data management and synchronisation simpler and more understandable.

My desktop computer has never seen the photos I took last week on my trip. After a long talk with a fellow at Apple Tech Support, I took a high speed USB drive, plugged it into my laptop, then copied the folders I created last week. Then I copied them to my desktop computer, where PL5 worked perfectly with them.

This isn’t what I was asking for, but it does solve my immediate need - get my recent photos off the MacBook Pro, and onto my desktop.

All my Mac computers have the updated OS, and no issues.

@KeithRJ I was writing the following when your post arrived so I will try to cover some of the same ground plus what I also wanted to add to my post.

Hopefully from my post above it should be clear that if you take a laptop with PL5 loaded on holiday/to a shoot etc. then photos can be imported onto the laptop, PL5 can be directed to navigate to the photos, presets and other editing applied, plus Ratings and Tags and if it fits your workflow keywords etc also applied.

At some point the Photos, DOPs and ‘xmp’ sidecars etc. can be copied to the main system and PL5 navigated to the directory and iff (if and only if) the database has never seen those photos in that directory before all can be imported successfully into the second/main database, which appears to be what @mikemyers is describing in the post that came in while I was writing this!

I believe that they come in with the Uuid in the DOP I described in my post and that Uuid will be stored in the database. But any change made on the main system or on the laptop will change the respective DOP Uuids and Virtual Copies are then inevitable if any attempt is made to take data in either direction, main to laptop or laptop to main.

Hence the suggestions being made to “trash” the database or rather manage it because as long as you keep a log of what was in each database it can be saved and restored later. I have “trashed” the PL5 database perhaps 20 times since PL5 release because of the testing I have been doing. Life becomes a little more complicated if keywording etc. is being used but providing that is written to the sidecar file or JPG or whatever then it is secure and the loss of the database may not be significant.

DOPs do now contain keywords but I have no evidence that PL5 is doing anything currently other than storing them in the DOP. ‘Ratings’ are in the DOP but also in the ‘xmp’ sidecar, Tags seem to be in the DOP only.

I partly agree with your notion that the split would make synchronisation simpler but to be honest providing you ensure what is in the PL5 database has been reflected in the external elements then you need the photo, DOP and ‘xmp’ sidecar and you are good to go. Except don’t go anywhere near a PL5 database that knows the photo (in the directory) or wallow in VC “heaven” or “hell”.

What is actually needed are some additional data management commands that allow VCs to be “promoted” on a single photo, selection of photos and entire directories and subdirectories basis, i.e. select an entire quarters worth of photos that have loads of VCs and “promote” them!

Except as was well pointed out by someone in another post (it’s late so I will look up the reference tomorrow) how do you distinguish between the VCs caused by importation versus those created deliberately as part of the editing process (the context of the original post was with respect to mass deletions of the VCs, except of course that the imports may actually be the edits you want to keep)!!

This means that the importation process would need to be enhanced to provide the automatic promotion but the advantage of trying to sort it out after importation is the ability to review and control what stays, the import or the existing database and what about “legitimate” VCs for one photo it might be possible to have the [M] and [1] in the database and [2] and [3] come in as part of the importation process could that ever be resolved by any bulk process!?

It is a minefield and I need to be up early tomorrow!!

What good is a database that needs to be trashed that often? Why waste energy and disk space on creating it over and over again?

2 Likes

While this sounds logical, it increases the risk of losing information, e.g. if an external app messes up an XMP sidecar file.

I prefer DxO’s current approach because it creates a distributed backup of the database by storing settings as well as metadata metadata in the .dop files.

@JoJu The database does not need to be trashed if you use it the way that it was intended to be used, i.e. on one system.

The “issue” comes if you want to have multiple systems attempting to access a pool of photos across a LAN where there are two databases and two applications dishing out DOPs with “competing” Uuids. Similarly if you move an external drive, HDD or SSD etc. between two (or more) systems the same thing will happen.

Where I have encountered the problem in the past was DxO 11 versus PL4 and more recently PL4 versus PL5 and I wanted to understand what was going on (yes running PL4 and PL5 at the same time on the same directory is real “fun”)!!

My multiple “trashings” at the moment are as a result of me exploring these issues and wanting to repeat tests with a database that I can easily “peek” into and see the results in the database to compare with the DOP etc… Prior to these recent tests I have rarely “trashed” my PL database.

Here we are laying this at the door of DxO but are there any lessons to be learnt from Lightroom, Capture 1, Photo Mechanic etc., all of which have SQLite databases, and your workflow with these systems?